1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Will WildStar have underwater combat?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Crimzen, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Crimzen

Crimzen Cupcake

So It just occurred to me that I haven't seen any underwater combat scenes from any of the WildStar gameplay footage that's been roaming around.

While I know that underwater combat isn't everyone's favorite thing to do in MMORPGS, I feel like it can be a bit of an immersion breaker if Nexus is this huge planet with no bodies of water. Even more so if we can't take a swim in any of them heh.

If there is indeed under water combat I think that would be awesome, considering how the telegraph systems already work on land. Sphere's and different 3D telegraphs could play a cool part with that system.

This also poses the question if we'll get underwater breathing masks (similar to GW2) or if they'll go for the breathe mechanic that we see in most other games.

If you have any thoughts, speculations or facts on this I would be eager to hear them.
  2. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

we do know that you can swim, and we know that they're actually adding currents to the water (at least to the streams/rivers) so you can hop in and just "lazy river" down them :)
    ruff_ethereal, Khrusky and Simokon like this.
  3. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

I don't think they've actually said anything about going underwater, but there are large bodies of water all around Nexus - you won't just be seeing barren land during your journeys :p.

Even in Deradune, an African Savannah-inspired zone, it seems to be on the edge of a sea or something. I wouldn't be surprised if you could swim in them a little, but you probably won't be able to swim ALL the way out to sea unless a quest required it. :p
    Fate Flyer and ruff_ethereal like this.
  4. Phakz

Phakz Cupcake-About-Town

There will probably be underwater....I mean they have a zone for about any kind of terrain you can think of lol
  5. Simokon

Simokon Cupcake-About-Town

I hope all our electronics are waterproof
  6. Eluldor

Eluldor Cupcake-About-Town

Haha lazy down the river while attracting the local wildlife ;) Heck, may make for a good mini-game depending on the current speed.
  7. Phakz

Phakz Cupcake-About-Town

RAFT/INNER TUBE RACES!!!!!!! (Imagine a Granok in a inner tube. Also, I bet they can't swim....they need to have extremely HUGE arm floaties.) LOL
    ruff_ethereal and Khrusky like this.
  8. rivalcycle971

rivalcycle971 Cupcake

I hope not.. I really dislike it.. You can add swimming for the people that like that.. but underwater quests/combat.. ugh
  9. Yianna

Yianna New Cupcake

Carbine flies around in alot of their gameplay videos (noclip admin stuff bla bla bla) to get to certain places faster and you can see that the chararcter is swimming while noclipping this confirms that swimming/diving will be possible.
    I really hated underwater content/combat in GW2 and hope it wont be a big part of WS.
  10. Zapp Brannigan

Zapp Brannigan Cupcake-About-Town

I remember seeing a character go underwater in one of the... PAX videos? The one with the Aurin who climbed the mountain using those crystals. It's definitely out there, I'll go have a looksy. In the meantime, I recall that the character interacted with something underwater, I'm not sure that there were enemies down there.

Edit: 02:24

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&feature=iv&src_vid=rtK-8sUazUs&v=PngwC5P-KAQ

It looks like there's still a lot of work to be done on it though.
  11. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

well, that IS a PAX 2012 video, so they've most likely done the work on that ;)
  12. Rivele

Rivele Cupcake

catgirl + water = alot of happy guys out there.

unless the cat side of her hates water...
  13. Nightsong

Nightsong Cupcake-About-Town

Dunno... I can't picture an Aurin liking water that much... Being up in a tree, sure, she'll love that, water... not so much.

Umm... the Granok, being made of a rock like substance, would probably just sink no matter how many floaties they end up using... :p
    Phakz likes this.
  14. Crimzen

Crimzen Cupcake

Awesome, thanks for posting the vid. Yea I'm sure if they had this in place back then, that it's most likely been further developed at this point.

Interested to see what type of zones and quests they come with, to coincide with the underwater mechanic. As well as some of the zero-gravity areas that are in the game. Can't wait!
  15. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

In this video made by MMOHut during PAX East this year you can see the Mechari Warrior jump into a body of water and swim a tiny bit. The most interesting part for me was noticing the "breath" meter in the upper left corner while the character's under water.
  16. Acidblood

Acidblood Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah I agree, for being such a significant part of the game GW2 really kinda <REDACTED>ed up the underwater stuff. I doubt it will be as big a part of WS, but I wouldn't mind seeing some underwater areas on Nexus... and a special helmet or something so your not constantly re-surfacing for breath... just don't do the whole special underwater abilities thing. A mini-sub would be cool though.
  17. Crimzen

Crimzen Cupcake

Like I said before, the whole underwater thing is a matter of opinion, I honestly think it's something that no MMO is going to get perfect ( none that I've played at least), but it's something that I think is needed to at least some extent.

Thanks for posting that video though Moneda. I'm not sure how I feel about the breath meter being there, but that could also be because I've been spending a lot of time on GW2. Might just take some time getting used to it, if we do indeed see it stay for launch.