1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Will Wildstar Learn

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Roguehandle, Sep 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roguehandle

Roguehandle Cupcake

Some people are playing other games till Wildstar comes out so I was wondering if Wildstar will be learning from the mistakes of the re-launch of Final Fantasy XIV: ARR.

When the game went public, they found out a big problem. They did not have enough servers for the amount of players they had! They actually had to stop sales of downloading the game. (Been wating a week and a half. Grr)

Yes, I know they had stress tests. (never invited. *cry*) But I am afraid that Wildstar will run into the same problem. People not being able to log in or the servers being full. Two weeks after they opened the game to everyone, they just put in a auto log out feature to the game because people were never logging off! Now, in ARR you will automatically be logged off if the character does nothing for 30 minutes.....30 minutes! The excuses were they wanted to take baths, fix dinner and such.

Will Wildstar have a auto log off feature?

Bots. Two weeks into the game their are bots. Someone makes a few accounts and set it up where another character constantly follows them to help. Specially done to farm mobs anf get money and items. What will Wildstar do about bots in game?

Money sellers.

Right now ARR is plagued with bots spamming web sites to buy money or power level characters. The chat screen if full of it..its literally a wall of spam. People are even having a hard time blisting them because there are so many and the GM's on the servers are too slow to ban the accounts of the offenders.

Level progression.

In ARR, people have already hit maxed level and beat the end game. Now people are complaining there is not enough end game content. The game has been out of open beta for 2 weeks.....
    What will Wildstar do with the zerg levelers?

I am hoping Wildstar will learn from the mistakes of other games.
  2. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

It sounds like you are looking for a perfect MMO launch with no problems at all, are there examples of other MMO's with perfect launches that accounted for all of the things listed in your post?
    Saybel and Kerphos like this.
  3. Roguehandle

Roguehandle Cupcake

Perfect no. Just hoping Wildstar would learn from the mistakes of other MMO's so it would be one less hassle to deal with..:) Would love to be able to log into the game..:)
  4. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

i dont think they need FF as an example of what not to do. FF made the same mistakes a slew of other mmos have made. They already know about these kinds of things. A lot of them worked on wow at release so they have plenty of experience with most of the issues that FF faced. That being said, it's not like FF doesn't have experience with this stuff .. so ..
    Roda likes this.
  5. Roguehandle

Roguehandle Cupcake

I can only hope. :)
  6. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

well in some of the threads ive started and others ive been in have had devs and cms all adressing the issues youve brought up.

there will be ways to report bots/spammers/trolls and ignore them too.
    they havent adressed the amounts of servers they will have at launch. but i will say its better to have a little less than the amount you need than having too many servers which will lead to dead servers and <REDACTED>.
    as for an auto log off feature it seems to be standard in almost all mmos . and 30 mins is plenty of time to go to the bathroom or work in the kitchen for a few .
  7. Ghillie

Ghillie New Cupcake

I think the only lesson to be learned from FF XIV is the one everyone already knows: don't release the damn game until it's ready. Final Fantasy is a long running and well liked IP. Even with it's history and devoted fan base, it took humongous balls to pull what they did. If something completely new like Wildstar gets released, runs for 6 months or so, then mothballs the game because it was so bad, the relaunch probably never sees the light of day.
  8. Arsonist

Arsonist Cupcake

My concern is content. The game needs to launch with as much content as vanilla wow 10 years ago. I dont think that is unreasonable. If I get into beta to find a world smaller then games made 10 years ago I am out.
    Xecks likes this.
  9. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

Well if there are no examples of other MMO's who have "learned from past mistakes", then how we can hold Wildstar accountable to a standard that doesn't exist, and that no one else has been able to accomplish.

There must be some reason why a brand new MMO like FF or ARR would intentionally ignore the past mistakes of other MMO's.
  10. Katu_Kath

Katu_Kath Robot Cupcake

Thats not botting, thats multiboxing. Botting is when a program does everything for you, requiring no user input. Multiboxing is when you have a few computers (or one really nice computer) running a few copies of the game, all linked to one keyboard and mouse. so you press the W key, 2-5 characters on different accounts all move forward. While it would be completely up to Carbine to make this against the ToS and therefore bannable, I dont think its against the FF:ARR ToS. On plus side of multiboxing, the person doing so has to buy 2-6 copies of the game, and has to pay 2-6 subs to do this, which is why most games allow it. Now, when they try to sell those characters the powerleveled up, then the ban hammer drops.
    Kerphos likes this.
  11. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

To the OP:

To your first point, it's better to have too little servers than too many. No one likes the idea of "server mergers" but that's the only realistic solution to too many servers. Hopefully Wildstar has servers lined up to bring online in the case of necessity, and can do so quickly enough. They already did a blurb about how their server architecture works, and it sounds like they've got a dynamic scalable system for launch that will be effective and fast when they need to expand.

As for gold sellers, look up the Wildstar CREDD system. This will help to curtail some gold farmer's prices, and potentially stop them altogether. As for power levelling, there's nothing that can really stop that, other than reporting, but telegraphs should help with a lag period for this to some extent.

As for amount of content, Wildstar has said they have 150 hours of gameplay to hit max level, and double that at max level. Now, it could take more or less time than that, but if you went through and played that straight out that's about a week to hit max level. So, they will likely be into raiding week 1 or 2, then it depends on how hard raiding is to see how long it takes them to complete a raid, then the first content patch will come out about a month after launch. So even if they rip through levelling and content, raiding should take them a while to do, then on top of that the raids change, so they'll always be in competition with another guild to see who can clear the raid the fastest.

So, even if the raid gets beat, players will still have to log in every week to complete the new raid setup. If you include trash mobs changing and being difficult/interesting, this can make for interesting dynamic gameplay.

Lastly, Wildstar is on the release schedule of "when it's ready" which means a quality mark to hit, not a timeline. This means they have more lee-way to ensure that the launch is smoother and better, and all the pieces are working before releasing, and not just crossing their fingers and hoping to retain people long enough to get out their first content patch.
  12. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

BTW FF XIV: ARR is one game, I don't know why the OP decided to type out "Final Fantasy XIV" but not "A Realm Reborn."

Anywho, the reason they released FF is because it was likely done "enough" and there's no other games let alone a game with a sub model out right now that's exciting and new. They have virtually no competition, and get a free cash grab up until players start going to ESO and WS. I'm ignoring EQ Next here because it's going F2P, therefore not really direct competition for money, just time. But a vast majority that play sub games don't have a problem with also playing a F2P game.
  13. Rentah

Rentah Cupcake-About-Town

The point OP has is legit tho everybody. And i do agree. I wish Carbine would take in consideration that a launch CAN be horrendous if not done right. Its not like they have endless money to make the perfect launch. Even BLizzard failed with D3 ( For the launch aspect). So again. i do agreee. They should think about the players and server.

5mil people for the open beta ( i guess there will be atleast). Anyway. So 5mil players onto 100 servers that has a 10k player capacity. Nope wouldnt think so. Try 200 servers and set directories when in the server list. That the main play on "THIS AND THIS" server. to make people pop up together. but have space to let EVERYONE play. Important

If this wasnt understandable at all i excuse. Im kinda drunk. Sozz
  14. Psistorm

Psistorm Cupcake-About-Town

I think we can be pretty optimistic about most things. The guys at Carbine are smart cookies, and seem to have a greater awareness of what is going well/badly with mmos than most other teams, who are content to announce glorious features and deliver nothing much. Meanwhile we have extensive betatesting going on, and the team isn't afraid to take a step back, go "wait, we can do better than this" and then push release back into next year just to get things right, like giving questing a major overhaul just to make that more fun.

As far as bots go, they mentioned a pretty zero tolerance approach for that kind of stuff, and I think writing a bot that avoids telegraphs is way harder than writing a bot that targets mob A, executes fixed, optimal skill rotation B, then collects loot C. So that should hamper it. As for gold spamming etc, people will likely call for a report option in chat, like a simple right-click prompt. I would also imagine GM presence to be fairly decent, so that spammers and advertisement will be suppressed pretty harshly, as it should be.

As for content, I'm not worried in the slightest. They are testing a lot and have very clear ideas of how long leveling should take, and the content thereafter. And more importantly, they are aware that a fresh game NEEDS the endgame at launch, so people know what they can look forward to. And providing said endgame is one of their main goals, and being worked on already. There also will be endgame advancement, where you will be able to unlock new things for your character, which will further lengthen the period of time you can spend on a single toon.
    Crafting is said to be skill-based, with variable results (so quality, as well as improved or different versions, from what I gather from the scraps given to us so far), and is planned to be a major player at endgame too.
    Then there is the amazing housing concept, with new and exciting items being fed to you from all kinds of different content types (crafting, pve, etc).

So yeah, content wise, nothing to worry about. Plus the extra dev time might allow some people to throw in even more goodies.

Lastly, as far as auto log-off goes, hard to say, but I would say yes, because frankly, it is the standard in today's MMOs, and FF14 apparently only has it because FF11 had player markets. (a horrible concept imho btw, but anyways, moving right along)
  15. AusterlitZ

AusterlitZ Well-Known Cupcake

NCSOFT has many flaws as a company,but it's very competent when it comes to marketing/releasing their games.Take GW 2,3 mil copies sold at launch,400 k concurrent users,except for a 3 h hiccup on the first day,everything went fine.They released the game in advance for preorders,then they turned the servers on 3 hours before official time,just to deal with the initial surge.The only missing function was a login que system,i'm still confused why most AAA games launch w/o one,while smaller games like Newerwinter or Path of Exile have them from beta.

About the botting issue,there's not much to be done,what a developer needs to insure is that botting is kept to a minimum,and you don't have insane spamming,again,GW 2 dealt with bots in a good way(message suppression to stop chat and mail spam,several waves of mass bans,etc).The comparison with FF is also pretty bad,financially,the 2 games are in way different leagues.

Endgame has been Carbine's main focus from what they have said in interviews,we will have to wait and see if that is true or not.
  16. Blackfurball

Blackfurball Cupcake

GW2 had a pretty decent releasing but have one of the worst marketing in the industry.

Not perfect but I can list 2 MMOs with very decent launches:

Rift
    GW2
  17. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

I don't quite understand that, the game sold over a million units on pre-orders alone. Then had a live action trailer as well as your standard plethora of expo attendances and Full page background ads!
    Kash and Arsonist like this.
  18. AusterlitZ

AusterlitZ Well-Known Cupcake

That's why it sold 3 mil copies on release?
  19. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

The problem with too few servers and/or stress testing - they've already had 2 stress tests - one was 15k invited the other was 30k invited. . . and i believe they were all on one server (now, we have no way of knowing EXACTLY how many participated or actually accepted those stress test invites, but still...LOTS of people!) So that concern, at least for me, is squashed at least a little bit - they're making sure REALLY early that their servers can handle the loads that they expect per server and soon as they get the pre-orders up and find out how many have pre-ordered they'll know how many servers they'll need :)
    Kash likes this.
  20. Zenatsu

Zenatsu Cupcake-About-Town

MMO's need to be like other MMO's.

Oh wait that's WoW... the king of stolen ideas

Edit: If you read this, then know that the entire gaming industry, is basically a cluster truck of stolen and repurposed ideas. Like the music industry, and film industry, and every industry.
    Kerphos likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.