1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Will Wildstar Learn

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Roguehandle, Sep 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackfurball

Blackfurball Cupcake

Blizzard cinematics >>>>>>>>>> GW2 trailers.

I have seen a few backgrounds ads, but none full page and GW2 is probably the MMO that I have seen less backgrounds ads.

I have a lot of friends that have heard of WoW, SWTOR, even Aion, but never heard of GW2. Never met someone that knows about GW2 and don't know any one of those other MMOs.

This is not true.

The game was released on September 2012. They reached 3 million copies on May 2013

[​IMG]

The game is a success because it is damn GOOD. At least I don't see any MMO out there that is better than it. That is why it sells well, not because it has an amazing marketing.
  2. Darkademic

Darkademic Cupcake

Not quite correct.

It sold "over 2 million" within 2-3 weeks of launch [source].

It had sold 3 million as of January 2013 (as it says in the graphic you linked), and now stands at a little over 3.5 million.

---

On topic, server issues at launch must be difficult to avoid, since they affect so many game launches, particularly MMO launches.

MMO servers obviously require more extensive configuration and significantly more expensive hardware than say, a web server, so servers aren't a trivial investment and purchasing too many of them could deal a severe blow to a company's finances. This, combined with the fact that it's very difficult to test millions of players logging in simultaneously without actually having millions of players to test it beforehand, means miscalculations are probably going to be the norm rather than the exception.

As for burning through the content, I think the key has to be keeping the content dynamic enough to make it repeatable. No game development company has the staff or the time to produce content faster (or as fast) as players consume it, so the content needs to have high replay value. WoW does this, albeit in a very unsophisticated way -- by essentially making you repeat exactly the same content over and over to achieve the best rewards, and other games such as Guild Wars 2 have tried other approaches which involve making content more dynamic. I think WildStar's approach to raiding will be a further step in the right direction, with raids that change significantly week to week, as well as all the competitive elements thrown in for both PvE and PvP (world firsts, rankings etc.)

I noticed another thread where people are worried about the number of dungeons. The number really isn't the issue though (within reason), it's the replayability. You could get rid of all CounterStrike maps other than de_dust2 and people would still play that game because of it's ridiculously high replay value - in that case essentially driven by player competition/interaction.

Competition, interaction, and content which actually changes to offer new and different challenges should, at least on paper, be enough to make WildStar last a long, long time.
    Kerphos and Dean Fry like this.
  3. Hezrou

Hezrou Cupcake-About-Town

Speaking from experience of the Tera beta launch, my original guild Luciform had 60 members that leveled to 60 within 4 days of the game's release. Within the first WEEK of the game, we were already geared up from endgame content. By second week, we had already cleared the hard mode instances. By the end of the month, we maxed out our reputation because we had nothing else better to do. The pvp on the pvp server after day one was total <REDACTED> when you were so far ahead of the crowd that there WAS no pvp to be had. It took the following month for anyone to even be half the level the guild was. But by then it was too late.

The people who out level that far, that fast, don't last. Because within that first month, from experience, we had a guild meeting and Luciform was there-since disbanded from Tera due to "boredom" and "lack of content".

Honestly, let them do it. They will quit the game and the rest of us who take it slow and enjoy the game will prosper. There's absolutely nothing Carbine can do about people like this. Zerg Progression will always be there and the "lack of content" will always be there. With all MMOs in launch and shortly after.

Just play it by ear and relax. Play with your friends and guildmates, enjoy the game and don't feel that you HAVE to push to endgame within a week. Trust me, it WON'T be as worthwhile as it sounds.
  4. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

The ability to change things week to week does give it that wonderful replay. Numbers also don't really matter in the beginning because it's just the 'beginning'. There's plenty of room to add new raids and dungeons and apparently do it relatively quickly with the tools the developers are using.
  5. Gunghoe

Gunghoe Cupcake-About-Town

what im going to do with trolls, and people that annoyed me.... Via pvp is put them on my rivals list, and constantly chase them down and make their life in the game horrible. thats my end game
  6. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Well-Known Cupcake

I am willing to bet that WildStar has it's fair share of problems at launch because it happens to every single MMO on the market.

Some issues I am predicting are:
    • So many people trying to log on at once that we will be forced to wait in a queue.
    • Various exploits allowing people to level faster than normal.
    • Random disconnects due to server load.
    • A few broken mechanics in both PvE and PvP.
    • Exploits allowing players to accumulate more currency and causing inflation.
    • Players using exploits to gain access to areas they shouldn't be able to access.
    These are just a few things I can think of off the top of my head that have occurred in every MMO I have played since 1999.

I don't mean to be a negative nancy, but the track record for MMO launches speaks for itself.

Having beta tested many games in the past, reporting exploits and broken mechanics, only to see them make it into the official release has instilled some doubt in my mind about the ability to have a smooth launch.

Now let's just hope that the WildStar developers can really learn from previously launched titles and provide the players with the best launch the MMO scene has ever witnessed.
    Inferiae likes this.
  7. Arsonist

Arsonist Cupcake

I couldn't agree with you more. I am used to this myself I am not bothered by troublesome MMO launchs. Its pretty much expected IMO. The worst for me is the bots/macros at launch and the ability for people to power level themselves afk. I was in early on gw2 beta test and I kept telling them that every single dynamic event in the game was easily exploitable. Anybody that could make a macro could exploit any event in that game. It was abysmal. I yelled and screamed for weeks before release. Nothing. You could walk up to any event set a auto attack macro on and go afk.

The game released and boom first major dynamic event in the asura starting area 40+ people afk macroing. You pretty much had no choice but to do it yourself or be left behind by everyone. People getting 10 levels while afk for 4 hours. No GM's to stop them. Only a /report system that seemingly never worked.

Out of all of this. My reward for trying to bring light to this situation on the forums my first post was a permanent forum ban for allegedly telling people how to hack. Even tho the post said nothing of the sort it simply said Dynamic events were exploitable and is being ignored
  8. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Well-Known Cupcake

Oh yeah, I didn't mention bots and hacks.

These are most definitely a problem and majority of the time come from people who participated in the beta testing of the games. This really sucks because it makes developers not want to introduce public beta testing or they show as little as possible on the test servers.

I am positive there will be gold spammers, hacks, and bots running rampant for a short while at least. I don't see the spammers ever fully going away but the developers can definitely keep the hackers and botters out of the game if they have some dedicated people to combat these players.
  9. Pejo

Pejo Cupcake-About-Town

Do you happen to have a link for this? I have been trying to look into the server architecture that they will be using. This is something that GW2 did very well with using a virtualized setup - allowed for crossserver play, no queues, ability to merge servers with ease, ability to add/remove servers, etc. A cloud/virtualized setup would be extremely interesting but it's quite an investment for a new company but it pay offs long-term if the game does bad/great.
  10. AusterlitZ

AusterlitZ Well-Known Cupcake

Since your own post contradicts itself by the picture you linked,i won't add anything :).A game that sells millions of copies when it launches,does that because of marketing,not how good the game is,people haven't played it for long enough for word of mouth to spread.

As for how "damn good" the game is, it's pretty much a failure for any old school mmo gamer,it was (and still is) successful because they found themselves a casual niche in the market.
  11. Reca

Reca New Cupcake

From what I have seen in interviews they are trying to make sure you spend enough time leveling your characters base level and path. This should give a good week (hopefully) for experienced MMO players on an average play time to hit max level. Now me personally, I am going to take my time looking at everything, learning as much as I can and fully experience the game. Now it seems there is enough end game content to keep it interesting.

PVP for example. You have bg's, the standard WoW-like Arena which I'm really glad they made, and warfronts. Arena alone is an endless grind for trying to stay on top which a nice portion of players really enjoy. Bg's and the Warfront game are going to grab attention but I feel like its just going to be the same as other mmo's. Well Warfront is going to be very interesting, and I'm excited to see how fun it will be.

PVE seems to have a good stand right now from what the dev's have released. I'm eager to see more on there 40 man raids, but I HOPE...with most of the teams experience they will bring that exciting long adventure threw the raids that can keep up working together in frustration and joy to defeat that boss. I feel like a lot of games lack that feeling, because a lot of mmo models are doing 5 man dungeons that are considered raids also and it can be cleared very quick. Also, they all pretty much offer that LFG system which takes away a huge portion of social interaction in MMO's. I'm glad Carbine isn't putting a LFG system.

As for the servers stability, that's just something that we can't control and in some way they can't either. Hopefully, they will just take there time and ensure on release that everything is smooth. I know on one of there stress tests back in the spring went terrible due to some scripting or coding problem (I can't remember atm) but that's OK. Thing's like that happen and when they do they give everything a double look. The best we can do as the community that wants the best for this game is hope and be verbal on our support like I have seen.

I really love this dev team. They have a great sense of humor, they really are open and love to talk about the game, seem very laid back and love what they do, and something that stuck with me about there work effort is there ability to not put out any bull.

So in conclusion, I have faith in Carbine. The teams experience and previous employment backgrounds are respectable, how carbine was formed is so awesome and great, and they are releasing this game with a lot of features mmo's do not have and are to scared to try. At the end of the day we all "chase the dragon", we all want that first MMO feel with the amazement and wonder. We try and we try these other games and they are fun, but we always go back to our first MMO love or we go back waiting on our computers watching to see what comes out. A lot of these companies promise A and then end up giving B, they put on a show and they flash lights that have you going "Oooohhh, awwwww". Well maybe, just maybe, the first mmo in awhile to come an take the world by storm...Is the one that says "We made a fun game, maybe you will like it. Here it is." Simple.

Wow...so was that answering your question Roguehandle? :)
  12. Roguehandle

Roguehandle Cupcake

Thank you for the constructive comments everyone. I feel a little better that Carbine will not screw up too badly and make a great game..:)
  13. Nemeses

Nemeses Well-Known Cupcake

If they just follow the GW2 model they will be fine, GW2 proved that a modern mmo even with a huge initial player base can have a excellent launch (besides the one 3 hour hiccup).

There is in fact now no excuse for the FFXIV fiasco except for penny pinching, be hard pressed to see why every mmo in the future does not do what GW2 did was fantastically clever, and the blueprint is out there for everyone to use.
  14. Blackfurball

Blackfurball Cupcake

I am as old schools as possible (Ultima Online), and I think GW2 is the best MMO out there.

It is a failure for farmers, and fingerless people that like to instant kill new players.

Any game where Skill > Gear will have my respect.

And I am not alone. My guild has more then 20 people that play MMO for more than 15 years....
  15. AusterlitZ

AusterlitZ Well-Known Cupcake

Skill in GW 2?LOL.Zerker stacking in PvE,blobs and zergs in WvW,and the same abusive bunker/burster builds for sPvP,very skill based indeed
    lacrimstein and Kerphos like this.
  16. Kerphos

Kerphos New Cupcake

Let me quote someone on this from reddit, aye?

So you got more than enough content. And leveling isn't gonna be fast, trust me. They said leveling will take a long time and I saw some stuff at con's etc. where you could gain levels...And well, it took quite some time to level up. You'll have alot of stuff to do, trust me.
  17. lacrimstein

lacrimstein Cupcake

What skill are you exactly talking about? There is no skill involved in PvE, and PvP, although it is the most balanced out of any MMO, i'll give it that, is mediocre. "Failure for farmers"? This game is a farmer's dream, since the game is so combat-oriented.
  18. Scarzi

Scarzi Cupcake-About-Town

Any launch has to be better then FF:ARR. That was like 3 days of pre-launch and 8 days of launch where they had massive problems and still lack instance servers. Game was terrible, no depth at all.
  19. WildFly

WildFly Cupcake

-- I think what WildStar needs to be careful of is the heavy load that it most assuredly will get. Server que's have proven in the past with other games to be a pretty good way to handle this. The first few days of a new MMO will always be very busy. I feel they should not set the server character max to what they fell it will eventually be due to issues that will crop up on launch day. (Ie. if the server load is 2,000 connections I would probably set it to 1,600, just so they give themselves a little breathing room, most players would rather have the performance be good once they are in after a 1 hour wait then wait 15 minutes and have bad performance, just my personal opinion however)
  20. Menchi

Menchi Cupcake-About-Town

Uh, yeah. Some of us already have mulitple 50s from 1.0. Of COURSE we'd be beating endgame by now.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.