1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Will Wildstar Learn

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Roguehandle, Sep 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Novalith

Novalith Cupcake

I really doubt they will have a smooth launch.
    Almost no big-money MMO launched without issues, and Wildstar will be no different.

Truth be told, launch problems due to high amount of players is, IMHO, a good thing. More players means more for the game.
  2. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

Sorry it took so long to reply to this, been busy, but yah, here you go:
    http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/lets_talk_about_servers.php

They do mention that the majority of the daemons have scalability in mind, so even if they don't have the tech present at launch, they can quickly put it in if needed.
  3. Zellfel

Zellfel Cupcake-About-Town

I have to agree with Novalith on this one. Even polished MMOs like World of Warcraft, who have a fairly set population and testing schedule still have problems on content patches, let alone expansion launches. FFXIV was shot in the foot by drastically underestimating the player demand at launch. Sure they could have been a little more liberal with their tech setup at launch had they done more demand planning and research, but it's still impossible to truly gauge accurately.

If the launch problems are involving too many players then yes, it can be a good thing. If it cuts off potential profit because you have to stop selling the game then it crosses into the realm of the negative and becomes bad in the long run. All we can do is hope Carbine properly evaluates the hype and expected buyers and get it as close as possible. As they say, hope for the best but expect the worst and have a backup plan.
    Novalith likes this.
  4. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

The beginning zones are instanced and capped at (i think they said) 20-40 people in each. So that'll keep people to small zones, then let them trickle into the open world and not be as laggy once they do get to the OW.
  5. Kyrios

Kyrios Cupcake

Diablo 3 (which is a horrible sequal with great graphics) did something interesting, They borrowed some servers, and told everyone that there may be a little trouble logging in and that they would not buy servers because in two months they would be unused.
  6. Pejo

Pejo Cupcake-About-Town

Thanks, I had actually read that but skimmed it last time - very interesting stuff! The stress testers must be helping a lot with determining these bottlenecks, let's hope for more CBT.
  7. Cynister

Cynister New Cupcake

I to have these concerns but most of these issues have easy fixes I think.

Log off feature - Not having a non-active log off feature in your VERY POPULAR MMO was boderline incompetent. Lets hope Carbine is better then SE in this regard.

Bots and Gold Spammers - Having active GM support and a very easy to use /report feature (which ever New MMO should have) will help stop the spammers and Bots. But as the game declines and cutbacks are needed they should look into developing a program that Anarchy Online had called the ARK program. Which was pretty much Player's with limited GM powers. Players were screened and abuse of powers was not tolerated.

Level Progression - I have a feeling that Wildstar will be a lot different then FF in this aspect. I mean people were hitting level cap at day 3 in the pre-start.... That is nuts! Plus Wildstar is all about endgame content and there just seems to be more to do before you get there.

Now the only issue I think they might have problems with is maybe not having enough servers. No game wants to pull a Planetside 2 and have to merge servers 3 months or so after release. It is not a good look, at all... Hopefully they look at what GW2 did.
  8. WildFly

WildFly Cupcake

That is good then. ;)
  9. Blackfurball

Blackfurball Cupcake

GW2 PvE is for very casual players, so yes, no skill involved. Although the new Tequatl is a challenge that is leveled most dificult raid bosses out there.

sPvP on the other hand is all about skill and tatics, since there is no farming ang gear involved. Why do you think it is mediocre? IMO it is very similar to what WS PvP will be (Action Combat oriented).

People will farm even when they don't have too.... Sad but true. That's exatly what is happening in GW2. You don't have to farm at all, since exotic gears are so easy to obtain and you can do everything in this game with this gear. Acendent gear is not mandatory, and even this gear is easy to obtain and after that there will neve be another gear Tier. I realy don't see why people farm so much in this game... it is pointless.
  10. Felion

Felion Cupcake-About-Town

If you:

1) Stands around drinking coffee waiting for #1 to kill the mobs
    2) Spamming whatever is off CD
    3) Simply run in circles around a slow moving mob with your ranged weapon and call that "good kiting"

And:

4) Declare that anything that you can't kill or cause you death with the above 3 routine is not meant to be killed alone, and/or at your level/gear

You can apply the "no skill" argument to every game out there. Try to push from level 40 to level 80 fractal (if they've fixed it) with less than 20 AR and 5 zerkers and tell me it doesn't take any skills. For that matter, try to 2 man Arah all paths with 2 zerkers and tell me that doesn't take any skills. There are people who have done it, there are people who have soloed things that would typically take 5 or even 20 people to solo, and that's the difference skill makes. Being a zerker in hard contents means you need to guarantee that you won't get hit by the boss even once, while dishing out damage in the most efficient way so you end the fight earlier, the longer you wait the more chance of making a mistake.

As for WvW, well yes. War is always related to head count if you haven't figured. Unless of course, your command is so good that you can set traps or split out teams based on roles and those will help you to win with even a significant less head count. If you just get zergs versus zergs constantly, that means both sides lack tactics, and well that's just too bad. Not everyone wants to play ultra-intense, you gotta understand that, but on the other hand you really can't disregard head count in ANY kind of group combat.

Given the CD instead of resource style of GW2, and given that every class can self heal, yes the most efficient way in PvP is to burst down an enemy, dragged out fights just gives the other player chance to wait for CD and recover, and the fight may never end. This doesn't mean that it doesn't take skill, MANY PvP games function like that, you get caught by someone's ultimate combo and you're dead, vice versa.

My take is, I like the combat system in GW2. But only for hard contents. It's true, I know a lot of people can get by easily casting auto #1 and afk if they just want to stay comfortable, and that's not very engaging, hence the "no skill" argument. And hopefully Wildstar can fix that. But with hard contents it's very engaging indeed, the constant movement + limited locking animation means the battle can be very active, and allows one to challenge some very tough encounters when you've maximized your efficiency. I very much hope that Wildstar has this, and from what we've seen so far it indeed has.

To me, GW2 has some shining moments: 1) the fluidity and min-max potential in combat 2) the questing and leveling experience (well at least at or near launch) and 3) the dialogue (I spent too long on character creation, getting to see myself is a HUGE plus). It also have, obvious, the bads which ultimately drove me away: 1) Lack of end game --- Yes I probably belong to the group of people who power level to max in days and clear all contents in a few weeks, but I'm honestly not asking games to follow up my pace --- But it needs to give me something to look forward to, a big challenge or reward 2 weeks from now, even a month later, that would suffice. 2) PvP, it's not as abundant and diverse as I have expected. I mean, there weren't even a duel option, and all types of battleground has basically the same objectives with different maps, I just thought you could diversify a LOT more. 3) Sense of community was quite thin, due to several reasons including crafting being so weak, economy being distorted, and there's literally very little that an organized group of people can do other than go around doing dailies or running around killing mobs. Simply adding in a flashy title such as "the best puzzle jumper of the guild" or "the best puzzle jumping guild of the server" could go a long way to help build communities.

For those reasons that I didn't like about GW2, and for the fact that I was very intrigued by Wildstar's art style/attitude from the very beginning, I've joined the wait. And so far, I'm seeing that Wildstar has kept the parts that I really enjoyed in other MMOs (action combat, improving quest/leveling experience, fluid animation etc) together with things that I wished could be better (end game, PvP, etc). So I'm getting more and more excited about it, and with Carbine's attitude towards the players, I'm quite confident that they'd be making good changes and keeping their promises.

Well, if only they could kept their promise to release it in 2013.... :(
  11. Jicmonster

Jicmonster Cupcake-About-Town

If I recall correctly Rift had a smooth launch. The game didn't really do anything ground breaking but what it did was executed fairly cleanly. None of the people I knew/played with had any major issues to speak of that I can remember offhand.
  12. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

You mean outside of the abilities themselves being stupidly buggy? Not many noticed because of how easily hidden it was in the complex spec system and how easy the content was, but there were so many things that were flat broke, or did not scale/react the way they should it was stupid.
  13. Jicmonster

Only one I can remember for the spec I was running at launch was an ability that generated more threat then it was probably intended to. Other then that I can recall them tweaking tank skills here and there but I think it was considerably less then the dps changes that were made over the coarse of my playing the game. Thinking about it I believe one of that tank trees did have more changes done to it then the others but i never used it much so I guess it didn't come up much for me/the people I ran with.
  14. FairyTailisBack

FairyTailisBack Cupcake-About-Town

FF ARR sucks donkey balls!
    The fact that game has a subscription is like a joke.

They didn't invest a lot in servers, because they knew most people would quit within a couple months.
  15. Livnthedream

You mean like warrior spears acting as spells and scaling as melee? Warrior dps specs were in a constant state of bugginess for the games first 2 years. And I was a rogue!
  16. Jicmonster

That tree always seemed a lil odd and I was never rly sure where it was really intended to fit with scaling. Always looked at that more as re-balancing then strait bugs.
  17. Livnthedream

So it makes sense for an ability that acts as a spell, does not get an armor check but does get a resist check to scale with a talent (I think it was in Champion) that increases all physical damage by x%?

What about the numerous abilities that were supposed to fix energy costs that did not function correctly (for rogues and warriors both), what about Warriors scaling infinitely better with Agility instead of Strength (the ability that all of the warrior literature stated it should be using), what about the numerous flat damage reduction abilities put into place for Rogues and Clerics that Warriors got scaling instead? Do you really want me to go on?
  18. Jicmonster

Could just be me but I marked most of that under balancing issues as appose to bugs. Issues with energy cost talents not working I'd defiantly consider to be bugs. The agility thing seemed odd but always looked at much of these other issues as something they needed to consider and address from a balancing/class design stand point. Not saying that it is correct but I guess I just always compartmentalized it differently.
  19. Hezrou

Hezrou Cupcake-About-Town

Wildstar should be able to learn just fine if NCsoft doesn't feel like taking further ownership of the game and slamming the breaks on communication between Devs and Users like they did with many, many of their other games. (Yes, I know Carbine owns the game, but NCsoft is branched off them. It's likely.)

Otherwise, i got full faith that Carbine isn't going to play the stupid role for Wildstar.
  20. BennyBones

BennyBones Cupcake

Judging from my experience in other MMO launches over the year. There's a rather high risk that you will encounter severe difficulties the first day or so. SWTOR did a lot of stress testing early on as well. They had huge problems over the first few weeks. So they opened more servers at the behest of the community. A few weeks after that many, if not most, servers were more dead than alive.

There's likely to be issues, is my point. It's more a matter of how severe these issues will be.

As for bots, I don't think that's something you need to worry too much about. I genuinely don't think Wildstar will be as bot heavy as a lot of other games. I'm not sure there'll be much of a market for Wildstar currency, but I don't know.

And when it comes to end game. First of all, I get the feeling that it'll take a good while to reach max level. Secondly, everything they do seem to focus on end game so I'm pretty sure they've definitely picked up a thing or two from games like SWTOR or GW2, putting a lot of effort into having a rich end game from the get-go.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.