1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Will Wildstar police its players better than wow?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Xecks, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

go in trade and see things like "hitler was a saint" and random racist nonsense.

it happens all the time.

anyways will wildstar police its player base better?
    i hope so.
  2. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

Most likely because of a smaller amount of servers at launch, you may see more of a GM presence, who knows after that if more servers open up. I seem to recall the Wow GM's being pretty visual in trade back when the game launched, and CS was pretty good about reports.
  3. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

thats what im thinking. i almost want for the game to not be as popular as wow so we dont have those issues current mmos have.
  4. Carebear Commander

Carebear Commander Cupcake-About-Town

In response to the topic, I also hope WildStar will police its players better than WoW (but I have no idea how bad WoW was since I've never played). Unfortunately, this is one of the areas I don't have much faith in. To hire the amount of GMs and such necessary to properly police would probably not be very cost efficient. I think the best way to counter toxic players is to build stronger server communities so the bad apples really stand out.
    Oliks and Livnthedream like this.
  5. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

true. still even just 1 gm every server in the most populated channel for talking would do wonders.
    trade or whatever chat channel. also it kills gold spammers even more with someone there watching for it.
    Carebear Commander likes this.
  6. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

A lot of time you see people talking about the cost of having GM's around, but its usually in the context of an "all or nothing" scenario, which isn't needed. All you do need is an occasional visual presence and the enforcement of rules when they are broken ( it did have an effect in early Wow )
    The police don't catch everyone, and there isn't a cop employed for every single street corner, but they are patrolling around, and catching some of the rule breakers is better than just letting everyone run free.
  7. Drokk

Drokk Cupcake-About-Town

Doesn't really matter to me. Since I'm not an over-sensitive crybaby, I'm able to just ignore stupidity rather than let it effect me. People in some video game can only impact you as far as you let them.
    Arrowsong, Leviathain, Iamaom and 6 others like this.
  8. Carebear Commander

Carebear Commander Cupcake-About-Town

You have a point, good sir. I guess the occasional presence would suffice as long as it wasn't too consistent. Because then, you'll have players know what times of day their behavior will have little consequence.
  9. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

and this is why some communities get so toxic.
    we need to take an active role in our communities and root out the people who are affecting everyone with their nonsense rather than just ignoring them.
    Baamz, Oconnell, Nicodemus and 3 others like this.
  10. Infamouz

Infamouz Well-Known Cupcake

I don't get offended in video games that easily, I usually have good laughs if people start insulting me, after which I just report and ignore them. No need to really make it in to big deal.

When you're being provoked, do not get provoked. Report, Ignore and let the GMs do their job.

Everything above that really starts going to neighbourhood policing, which can be a slipery slope as definition of what is socially acceptable differs from person to person. In my opinion freedom of speech is one of the most valuable freedoms one can have. It is easily exploited, but the fact minority exploits their freedoms should not mean majority who has done nothing wrong has to bear with censorship and server language police crew going rampart.

The further away we get from Orwellian dystopia, the better.
    Kleev and Verilyn like this.
  11. GoatSlayrr

GoatSlayrr Well-Known Cupcake

NSFW reply incoming...

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19
    John Gabriel's greater internet <REDACTED>wad theory. I don't care if they have a GM active on every server, 24-7, idiots are going to be idiots.

The big question is how will the rest of the community respond? The smart members of the community will report them then ignore them. The less smart, overly emotional people will get all butthurt about whatever the trolls be trolling about, engage them, and in doing so give them exactly what they wanted, attention, which will lead to even more trolling.

And even if there is a heavy GM presence in game, don't expect to actually see any direct results against individuals publicly. I'd be willing to be the policies about punishment of subscribers who misbehave will require it all done privately. So no one will ever get that sense of justice in watching a troll be punished and whatever, if any, prohibitive effect public punishment might have on other trolls will never happen.

The sad truth is that the internet has created a very large group of people who've never had to deal with consequences for what they've said in their primary channel of communication. And what's worse, the internet created little safe haven, echo chambers where they can interact with, and reinforce their behavior with each other. At some point societal norms for public behavior might make it to the internet, but for now, report and ignore is about the best we can do with the total <REDACTED>wads.
  12. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

i see your point infamouz. i still think some forms of "freedom of speech" should be dealt with . someone spamming how hitler was a good man or racist stuff or just plain out of bounds stuff should result in some punishment . people saying those things are usually just people intentionally trying to get a rise out of people. that is one of the lowest forms of gamers in general who troll trying to mess up someones day saying the most messed up thing they can think of.
    there are just some things that are over the line. and they should be dealt with accordingly.
  13. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

There is no difference between forum policy and city chat policy, the same rules normally apply to what you are allowed to post on the official forums. The moderators/gm's have the same judgement calls and use the same policy rules for reference in both places. People complain about what they can say on official forums too, but it doesn't mean they should cancel those policies either.
  14. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

im not saying you shouldnt report those people and ignore them. im saying you SHOULD. also if you can get even more people to report that person too. make it a group effort to actively get rid of unwanted people.
  15. Infamouz

Infamouz Well-Known Cupcake

I have nothing against more people reporting a certain person, as the decision of action against that person is still in the hands of the GMs.

I do have a little against your "Make it a group effort to activelly get rid of unwanted people". Who dictates who are the unwanted people?

Your ideology is truly a slipery slope.
  16. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

except it did happen in early Wow, and did have an effect of reducing that behavior in city chat, and everyone in city chat did see the trolls behavior immediately cease after the GM message displayed in chat. Of course things were different once more servers opened and you saw less and less GM's around, but that was in Wow and doesn't mean this game has to copy that plan.
  17. Furor Tuetonicus

Furor Tuetonicus Cupcake-About-Town

This topic is at best controversial, and my response is very similar to those above from Drokk and Infamouz. Perhaps its how I was raised, perhaps it's the sort of work I've been involved in, whatever the reasoning there's just about nothing that people say that I find offensive. A short version is, "Toughen up. Report them. Move on."

However, I recognize it for what it is: Trolling.

When members of the community display such thin skin and are reactionary, it only feeds into the logic behind what trolls are doing. They're looking to make your day worse, and their day better, and if you engage at all you've given them exactly what they're looking for.

The likelihood that someone actually thinks Hitler was a great guy, or that someone is as racist as they say they are is rather low especially given the communities that play MMO's(not saying that it doesn't happen, but that it's a lower chance than you'd seen in the general public). All that is happening is that one guy is trying to get self satisfaction out of someone else's indignant responses, and by even suggesting that there's a GM there who will stop this gives these people a victory. It shows that people are so afraid of what a troll might do, that a company has to spend real money on protecting people from them.

So while I would like to see a great GM presence in the game, it is for community reasons, not for policing reasons. A strong GM presence would keep the community centered around the game itself, and build a general bond of trust between the company and the players. This itself would deter a notable amount of troll behavior by keeping the community aligned against those who aim to disrupt the community.
  18. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

well i see that it is . im just saying there are very few things the majority will agree on. racist or sexist comments or people saying that people who have done atrocities are good people or getting down on someone who asks a simple question making them seem like the most horrible person alive for not knowing . all things that can be put in the ToS that can be policed using the ToS as a guideline. anything not covered by the tos will not be enforced.

it all depends on whats actually in the ToS. no slope to be seen if its all covered by a ToS.
  19. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

i know it probably is a bit controversial and i am sorry for that. i just dont want the community to become that of wows and other mmo communities. i think a single gm in the most populated channel like trade or city chat would do wonders.
    the better the community the better the games health is. people will even forgive more readily mistakes made in the game by the devs if the community is good and full of fun people to spend time and activities with.
  20. Doomhaus

Doomhaus New Cupcake

To be fair, I don't remember seeing dumb kid comments in WoW until Wrath of the Lich King 'ish... I think that's around the point people started getting bored with it and not caring.

When a new MMO comes out, one that you actually plan on having a presence in. You don't start off acting like a D-Bag, or that is how you will be known through its whole existence... Remember ninja-looters in the beginning?