1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Will Wildstar police its players better than wow?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Xecks, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Well-Known Cupcake

I believe that after a certain number of reports, the issue should be escalated to a GM and the player will receive a warning.

Each warning will consist of being muted for a certain period of time so you may not continue your ranting/trolling.

Every time you receive a warning the mute is longer than the last time you were muted.

However, after a certain number of warnings, you will eventually be permanently banned from the General/Trade/LFG chats.

This would be the smart route to go in my opinion because if you will eventually be permanently banned from chat, people may rethink acting a fool.
  2. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

actually you should look at it this way, a player only needs to violate the rule policy once to warrant a suspension or ban, and most likely will get a warning first. The easy fix, is don't violate the policy.

simple.

over-exaggerating your need to analyze every word, or GM's being ban-happy, just makes your post seem like a desperate attempt to keep trolling alive where there is the largest audience.
    Look at the policy when the game comes out, and then don't violate it.
    Hephen likes this.
  3. Carebear Commander

Carebear Commander Cupcake-About-Town

It really does sound like a good idea, but it is not without exploits. A few pages ago, Anlath explained why it could be exploited.

Source: http://wildstar-central.com/index.p...ayers-better-than-wow.6018/page-5#post-149271
  4. Jabberwocky

If the GM actually reads whatever the person wrote and THEN made their decision on whether to give a warning or suspension, there will be no exploiting the report system.

If I was a GM, I would NOT blindly give warnings or suspensions. If someone had enough reports to escalate the situation enough to need my attention, I would investigate by seeing what exactly they said and the responses to their statement(s) and go from there.

If things are taken seriously, there will be no exploiting and getting someone in trouble just because someone does not like you. You will have to actually say something that breaks the rules and warrants action.

If you do not want 100-200 people all reporting you and resulting in a warning, mute, suspension, or ban, don't say anything that can actually get you in trouble.

Filing false reports could possibly result in getting a warning yourself, in order to combat the behavior.
  5. Carebear Commander

My apologizes Jabberwocky, I thought you were advocating an auto-suspension. As long as someone goes through the reports before proceeding to the next step, then it should be fine.

All you need to do is get on the bad side of one influential person, and you could potentially have an entire guild report you based on slighting that one person. I realize this is far-fetched, but this could potentially happen. Also, you don't have to do much to earn the ire of an individual on the internet. For some people it's well deserved, for others, it could be a difference in opinion. But as a stated in the post I quoted, having a human being look over the reports should alleviate this issue.
  6. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

<Mod Monocle> To those who it may concern: Please stay on topic rather than getting in a pissing contest about how right your thoughts may be or hostile someone may be. You can take that to PMs, if you so wish. </Mod Monocle>
  7. Hezrou

Hezrou Cupcake-About-Town

All I got to say about policing players...Unless it's banning someone for promoting the Nazi or other very negative/hostile real life issues, they invented the lovely block list for a reason. I just don't really see why no one uses that thing other than blocking bots.

PS - a GM presence would be nice. Alot of mmos I go to they're nothing but a huge myth. :(
  8. HappinessFactory

HappinessFactory Cupcake

I also agree with this route, enforcing after a number of player reports. Instead of a GM stepping in when a player breaks whatever behavioral policy that is in a agreement that nobody reads.

Look, I'm sorry you took it that way, and I'm absolutely against people who have the need to ruin other people's day like old school bullies.

But I can't be the only one who has witnessed admin abuse in a game. Heck, even a rioter in League of Legends was fired for abusing account ban privileges. I've seen suspensions handed out like candy in DCUO for verbal abuse. And even though I never received any of it, it doesn't make me feel any less paranoid with heavy mod influence around.

Maybe I should re-word my preference, being very similar to jabberwocky's from above. I believe that GMs should take a step back from policing and take action based on the number of reports. Instead of direct action in a chat room.
    Carebear Commander likes this.
  9. MadBlue

MadBlue Cupcake-About-Town

We've all seen what happens when two atoms collide in General Chat. It's not a pretty sight.
  10. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

That man was enlightened.
  11. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

He was intelligent....but enlightened? I wouldn't go so far in saying that (depending on which meaning you take from the dictionary, since with 1 meaning almost everyone is enlightened...).
  12. Xlugon Pyro

Score one for me.
  13. Kallor

Kallor Cupcake

Allowing a toxic environment to flourish drives most of the useful, helpful, intelligent, friendly people out of the channels. Block lists do nothing to fix that problem.
    Carebear Commander, Kash and MadBlue like this.
  14. Hezrou

Hezrou Cupcake-About-Town

True, but if the GMs aren't a frequent presence then we have no choice. Most MMOs i've been do in all my years of gaming they're only around once or twice in the beginning, then pretend they know what's happening ingame when they in fact don't and never log on anymore. I was just saying the alternative for it.
  15. Xlugon Pyro

I have no idea what is really at the core of the community rot syndrome that online games become afflicted with, but the only thing that has made sense to me is to turn GMs into the digital gestapo so to speak. Hold GMs to high standards so that they perform or lose their status and have a hefty GM staff to address problem children in the community.

If having so many GMs is too much of a financial burden, they could try some creative solutions by allowing "community activists" as an example who are ordinary players who have the high esteem of both the server community at large (democratic elections of these individuals perhaps?) and of course the developers (Carbine in this case) to act as volunteer GMs who can help "police" the community. Obviously this idea would need a lot of ironing it if it were ever to work but it's an idea nonetheless. XD
  16. Jabberwocky

We don't need a GM presence except for when Carbine decides to do live events or handle someone in chat that is really being a problem to the rest of the players.

Also, appointing fans as "deputized GM's" in games never works and usually doesn't even work on forums. There is always the people who go on power trips and punish people unfairly.

The problem with people in online games started when parents stopped parenting and let video games babysit their children.

Back when the internet was considered a luxury and not everyone could afford buying or building a gaming PC the world of online gaming was at it's finest, because it was mostly mature adults who played the games for fun.
  17. Xlugon Pyro

Those are good points and I had concerns myself with whether or not player power under such a system could be adequately controlled.

Video games are not babysitters, parents. : /
    Kash and Carebear Commander like this.
  18. Carebear Commander

They didn't parent, they let the great outdoors do the parenting for them! The internet is less punishing than the outdoors. :p Let the debate continue!
    Kash likes this.
  19. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Nope they leave that to the teachers nowadays......and if you punish their children they suddenly start caring and ask ''why punish him?''....well mayby because he DESERVES IT?!?!?!?
  20. MadBlue

MadBlue Cupcake-About-Town

This is pretty much what it's like teaching in Japan, as well. Well, not so much the punishment part (parents are usually very apologetic if their kids get into trouble), but definitely the parenting part. I had a student who never did his homework and when I told his parents at a PTA meeting, the mother asked "why not?" :confused: