1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Will WildStar support new Steam controller?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Gronky, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

I'm actually just trolling TBH. IDGAF about the whole PC vs. consoles war. Just lemme play my games and I'm happy. :)
  2. Lokno

Lokno New Cupcake

Haptics are really cool, so I'm looking forward to holding one of these. Complex texture could further improve WildStar's special sauce.
    Gronky likes this.
  3. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

This contoler has enough features to play very well with this game. As far as heptics work as advertised I'm getting one. I'll leave keyboard for chatting. Also, I would like vvalve to create some very good voice chat system which could work for MMOs which would allow more than 100 players talking at the same time without killing the bandwidth. maybe some cloud server which would get input voice from uswrs , mixed it together in single stream and multicast to other users subscribed (in games subscribers could be friends and players standing in proximity to your character).
  4. Zellfel

Zellfel Cupcake-About-Town

I don't see controllers ever being more efficient than keyboard and mouse for your game. The limitation on buttons available, and having to put down the control pad to communicate with anyone you're not set up on a voice chat program is just annoying (and you'll never be on voice chat with absolutely every player you come across at all times, don't kid yourself).

If you're really dead set on being awful, just get Joy2Key. It maps keyboard buttons to your usb control pad so you can enjoy your inefficiency to its fullest.
    Jabberwocky likes this.
  5. Gronky

telegraphs supposed to let you talk less ;) Other than that smart devices will sooner or later kill mouse and keyboard combo.
    I expect that when voice capture improves it will even capture, write, translate English to Chinese and then respeak what you've just said to your Chinese friend in Chinese. It's what M$ is experimenting with and cloud technologies are gona play a big part in delivering it.
    Ah, and that controller seems more efficient than mouse and keyboard to me, except that you can't chat using it. Also fun factor matters as well. Force feedback sounds quite cool in this controller.
  6. Malorak

Malorak Cupcake-About-Town

Absolute statements are never right.

Just saying. Ever played Devil may cry with a Mouse and a keyboard? Yeah. Thought so.
    This game has a Hack&Slash style mixed into an MMORPG. Or it's just SMITE as a mmorpg.
    And those games work perfect with controllers. Now stop hating it. I don't know whether I'd play with a controller or a keyboard/mouse combo.

Jesus. I know keyboard turning PVP players who'd probably have stomped you in WoW, and I know of FFXIV being released on the PS3 which you can play with a controller alone. Just let everyone play as they feel comfortable.No one forces YOU to play with a gamepad.
    Witless and teh_ninjaneer like this.
  7. Zellfel

So you say absolute statements aren't correct by making an absolute statement about them. Irony.

George Lucas must have written this.

Apparently telling someone to dodge a mechanic is your only form of communication. There's more things to communicate with other players, such as setting up pugs are interacting with other players via general chat to stave off opposing faction pvp/griefing.

And your theory about how smart devices will sooner or later kill mouse and keyboard, I'll believe it when I see it. You have given me nothing to believe otherwise, and your speech recognition and translation ideas do nothing for it.

I'll let you slide on fun factor, some people are into that. Some people are into keyboard turning on WoW and mouse clicking their hotkeys, doesn't mean it's effective or efficient.
    Oconnell and Xlugon Pyro like this.
  8. Malorak

Malorak Cupcake-About-Town

The first person to get it! Thank you!

Finally. Wasn't that hard now, was it!?

But seriously. Just saying gamepads don't work with Wildstar...You can't say that without trying it.

Also if people prefer it, isn't it fine to implement atleast Xbox360 controller support like every slightly bigger game does nowadays anyway? Shouldn't bother you if you don't use it :/
  9. Gronky

I could never play with normal console controller as it is not precise enough for me as I grow up with keyboard and mouse. But I still hope that new controller will be as precise as they say and if so it will be better for me than a mouse and keyboard. For communication I have other means.
  10. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

Of course it can work, it's just that the amount of key binds needed on a that controller will make it hard. It does look like a fun controller for FPS and RTS.
  11. Gronky

It has around 10 normal buttons, then those pads can be pressed as well in different places with button like feeling and then touch screen has real buttons with real feeling to them (at least 4, one per corner or possibly more). Also on touch screen you can swap screens like on cellphone screens which gives you a speed access to new screen with more buttons. Considering that you will have 5 easily accessible screens 4 buttons each which gives 20, this controller gives you access to around 16 buttons which you can access without delay plus 16 by swapping screen in each direction. This is 32 buttons which are quite easily accessible. It,s not WoW so it ought to be enough.
  12. teh_ninjaneer

teh_ninjaneer Cupcake-About-Town

I guess you type one-handed, since I assume you never take your hand off the mouse when you type to people in-game. If you do type one-handed, that sounds pretty awful and inefficient to me.

Also, why does this hate on controllers continue? Does the way someone else play a game affect you that much? Or is there nothing else to do on these boards but troll and harass others?

I would think Wildstar's LAS actually makes it easier to bind the keys to a gamepad, relative to an MMO with 20+ skills/spells. If you can only use 8-10 abilities at one time that's relatively easy to do with the gamepad.

This comment can apply to Zellfel also, since he's concerned about limitation on buttons as well.
    Witless and Malorak like this.
  13. Zellfel

Actually no, there is nothing else to do on the boards since WildStar is probably 6-8 months and the information well is dry. Instead I'll post on topics that have been beaten to death (like this one) that have been resolved (like this one), even if it's "new" because it's a Steam Controller!

I couldn't help but rib on Gronky, he's usually posting ideas like this :)

I even gave a veiled bit of advice about getting Joy2Key if Carbine continues their path of anti-control pad and PC Master-racism, but I'm guessing that went over your head.
  14. AnotherJaggens

AnotherJaggens Cupcake-About-Town

15. teh_ninjaneer

teh_ninjaneer Cupcake-About-Town

I have not seen this path. Actually, I just read the other day that basic gamepad support had been coded and full support might be available if time allows before the game is released.
    Malorak likes this.
  16. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

My point is keybinds need specific keys or triggers, you'll need to develop an ingame wheel to allow quick access to 8 buttons to prevent "miss presses" what you'll have touch pads, as touch pads are fine but they have a main weakness that is defining boundaries on touch. Where does one key end and the other begin.

So you need something else, the touch screen in the center the same thing. You need software to give you a quick access, i'm just looking at it perhaps too much from a pro gamer view and seeing the handicaps it introduces, also with swapping from setups there's a reason nostromo and logitec allow setup swaps not on a digital screen but on an actual key, it makes it so you can press without looking.

So with them giving a lot of support to addon makers and modders i have some concepts in mind that will allow quick swapping but you would be handicapped in one way or another compared to a keyboard and mouse player where the game is being tweaked on difficulty wise.
  17. Gronky

Perhaps, but as far as playing with it is more enjoyable to me, convenient and viable enough so I can raid effectively and kick some ass in PvP I won't care if there are some players who do better with a keyboard than most players who play with this controller (and there may be some players who do even better with this controller than most players who play on keyboard).
  18. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

For raids your response time is going to be near the same level of PvP, that's the whole premise of the game your reaction time is forced to increase during leveling. There's even talk of coordinating Crowd control seconds of each other and if you have to look for a key than, you're not going to be a reliable raid member.

For me it's about playing effectively, if the game is set for mouse and keyboard they aren't going to lower the bar for controller input, what essentially makes it uneffective to play with in several parts of the game.

To make a point look at what SE needed to do to FFXIV ARR to make controllers viable. They essentially had to slow the gameplay on ability input down what made it feel like a rather slow paced combat game, the moving out of stuff can stay at the same reaction time but that's about it.
  19. Gronky

LAS reduce a need for many immediately accessible buttons. Obviously if WS make it so 15 or so buttons are not enough in a fight it will be a problem, otherwise it won't. The two buttons beneath that controller could also work as ctrl and alt which would make number of easily accessible buttons even higher. All physical buttons on these controller are easily accessible, but to be fair if we can't move our thumbs off the sticks, the number of buttons we can press goes down to 8. If 2 of them play as Ctrl and alt and 3 (lmb,rmb,jump) are always set on the same action no matter if alt/Ctrl is pressed, then number of all easily accessible buttons with combinations becomes ((8-2-3)*4combinations of alt/ctrl+3)=15. Now assuming that those two "sticks" are as good as combination of AWSD and mouse and as precise as mouse, we could say that playing WS may be as easy with this controller as with keyboard and mouse. But, is 15 such buttons good enough. LAS stores what, 8 spells I believe. Then you need lmb and rmb, which now gives 10. Then you need to have roll buttons to avoid telegraphs (4), so 14, jump is 15. So this is just enough. Some spells don't need such a control that you can't even move your thumb of the stick when using them, but I presented here a corner case. The rest of the non combat spells and actions could be handled by 4 other physical buttons and 4+ buttons on a touch screen (they are physical too).
    When this controller is out and has some windows driver with a dedicated software for settings for buttons, I'll test it. I have high hopes it will work well.

BTW, this is not your typical controller so FF example may not apply.
  20. dizko

dizko Cupcake-About-Town

I would say it doesn't matter if Carbine supports it or not I believe that Valve said the controller could/should/would work with whatever game you wanted it to work with. The fact that you can adjust/set bindings should/could/would allow you to use it with Wildstar if you so wanted to. The only thing that would poo-poo that would be if the controller required the game to be a Steam/Steamworks game. If that's the case then the outlook is poor for Wildstar being able to use that controller.

What I want to know is can I stream non-Steam games through Steam to SteamOS.