1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Will WildStar support new Steam controller?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Gronky, Sep 27, 2013.

1. teh_ninjaneer

teh_ninjaneer Cupcake-About-Town

I'll start this off with a quote from Jeremy Gaffney from the recent DevSpeak: Ability Mechanics thread in the News section.

So the basics of gamepad support seem to be coded into the game, but Gaffney isn't sure if the game will have full controller support at launch. Hopefully this will end your argument of "Carbine is anti-gamepad".

I don't need Carbine to slap a label on the WildStar box that gamepads are fully supported; my problem is that you and others are adamant that the game be labeled such that gamepads are not supported. At all. I don't understand why people are against having options.

Why does the option of using a gamepad in WildStar scare you so much? If you want to use your mouse and keyboard and be the "superior player", just don't plug a gamepad into your PC. I think it's a simple solution. But if the game allows me to use a gamepad, and I choose to use it for my enjoyment, then let me do it without your complaining, please.

Note this is not specific to the Steam Controller. I'll take a Microsoft 360 controller, or any aftermarket version of it or the PS3 gamepad.
    Gronky, Malorak and Witless like this.
  2. GoatSlayrr

GoatSlayrr Well-Known Cupcake

This wasn't directed at me, but I'll take a stab at it, because the topic is tickling my fancy at the moment...

Because, as in the comments from Gaffney you quoted, changes to the UI have to be made to make them manageable on a controller. And possibly changes to the combat system have to be made to suit a controller. Now if they had built the game from the ground up with controllers in mind, it would be one thing, but making the changes to get a game as late in development as WildStar running with even a basic level of compatibility with controllers would require a substantial amount number of man-hours, and could if done poorly very negatively effect the overall game experience.

Now if someone wants to use addons that will be available to them to mod their UI in a fashion to suit them and third party software to convert controller input to something WildStar will understand, more power to them, but having Carbine do it would at best be a lot of work for a nominal gain, and at worst make the whole game experience worse for everyone at an extra cost to Carbine.
    BlindSear likes this.
  3. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

I have to admit I don't know alot about FFXIV, but, from the sounds of it, there is no addon support, and UI customization is limited. Correct me if I'm wrong please. This is somewhat indicative of controller based UI's because you don't have a pointer (generally) with a controller to make specific modifications to your UI. So, the game developer instead has to think up every possible way that someone would play the game straight from a controller and adapt it for that if there is official support. They then implement static UI customization schemes. As for addon support, Carbine is fully supporting addons, but addon developers may not implement support (as well) for controllers. This creates a divide in the community, whether they use a controller or not.

Second, communication with a keyboard and mouse can be either voice chat, or through a text based chat system. Generally speaking most keyboard and mouse users have their text based chat for general purpose and chatting to people they aren't familiar with. A lot of the time in game voicechat for computers is overlooked, because guilds already have private channels and servers set up, and they enjoy using that (which is a preference thing).

On the other hand controller based users could not use a text based chat system, and while they could see the text, they couldn't respond, unless they are on the same voice chat channel as the keyboard and mouse user. So, in many cases there will be a communication breakdown for both users, resulting in a worse gameplay experience. Things like e-motes and symbols can help, but only if both of the players understand the underlying language intended.

My thoughts are that it is generally better for the community as a whole to have one set of peripherals, because it will allow easier communication, UI development, and a culmination of addon development, instead of dividing these efforts. In general with addon based or customized UI heavy games, a keyboard and mouse will be a better gameplay experience, because you can more easily interact with these systems. Since Carbine has already implemented such systems in the game, they SHOULD officially support keyboard and mouse at launch. Otherwise the divided community will make the community based development more sluggish, and lower quality.

So, a shortened list is:
    -Communication Barrier between chosen preferred methods
    -Inherent need to support keyboard/mouse due to addon development
    -Keyboard/mouse works better for UI customization
    -All other things between the two peripherals are largely similar
    -Carbine already has "support" for controllers, but is not official, and has development tools in place for the community to adapt the controller
  4. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

I'm not saying they should prevent players from using the Controller. In fact this actually supports my ideology that Carbine should UNOFFICIALLY develop support for controllers, and let the community develop their own UI's and addons to implement the controller into the game. It's a win-win.

It means only players truly interested in spending the time to configure the game to fit the majority as opposed to expecting the whole system just to work perfectly. This also gives players motivation to innovate on the designs and ideas to further progress addons to do "cooler things." The other thing is it provides a lag period for the basic game community to form and addon development to mature before implementing a second type of player into the game. This means the community is stronger before potentially being "divided."

I'm simply saying that official support of controllers means you're splitting your user base in terms of communication possibilities (as controllers heavily rely on in game voice chat systems, which most computer based players don't use and keyboards use in came text chat systems which controllers cannot effectively use). You're also splintering your community development possibilities immediately, instead of having a lag period of one cumulative community to work together to develop before offering more options.

In other words, controller or keyboard and mouse, just stick to one until you've developed and cultivated a decently strong and positive community. Once that has happened, start innovating on the controller, and if the community can find a good way to implement it into the game, and if there's enough of a playerbase that uses it, then Carbine should start supporting it. I don't think they should start off officially supporting it, because it's a large risk of their name for very little gain.
  5. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

I wonder if Carbine will actually deploy WS on steam now when there is going to be a steam box on the market. Maybe even make it compatible with SteamOS. I doubt it though especially if steam wanted to from cut 30% of subscriptions profits
    BlindSear likes this.
  6. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

Yah, if they were willing to lose 30% of profits they woulda just gone F2P model.
  7. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Well-Known Cupcake

They aren't going to give up their profits to Steam. Especially, since it isn't needed for anything. They can sell copies of the game on their own website or you can go to the store to buy it. Steam is meant more Valve's own games, older AAA titles, F2P games, and indie developers.
  8. GoatSlayrr

GoatSlayrr Well-Known Cupcake

I think NCSOFT would kinda throw a fit over that, since they're publishing it and already have a pretty well established set of distribution tools for both physical and digital products.
  9. Dysp

Dysp Cupcake-About-Town

I'd definitely try out the Steam controller with WildStar once they both launch. I think most mmos now are probably going to handle just fine with controllers. For the brunt of the gamplay you can relax and lean back with a controller, then use the keyboard when you want to type.. or just use some voip. Keyboard and mouse can get fatiguing as your posture is affixed to your keyboard and mouse placement. Having a viable held controller could help ease posture issues for prolonged gaming sessions, especially with the duration mmos are played at. Might help some players combat that desk-slump posture. Hooray for options and innovations!

Regarding the number of key bindings, I wonder if you can have a command key be bound so while holding it toggles the trackpad to control, as say, the mouse. Then you could assign WASD and mouse-look to one trackpad and button. It would cause you to stop and turn, but I think you could alternate fairly rapidly with just a slight tap of the button. It's a possible option at least to free up more keybinds.