1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Will you be able to solo grind pvp gear?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by mmoplayer, Feb 20, 2014.

1. mmoplayer

mmoplayer New Cupcake

Last mmo I pvped alot in was WAR. I spent about 90% of the time grouped. However, if you wanted to you could join instanced pvp/RVR as a solo player and still be able to get the best gear with time.

Even if you lost your instanced pvp match or died most of the time as solo in RVR you would get something for it anyway. At the end of a pvp match(winning or losing) or locking of a world zone you would get points towards your pvp rank and some tokens to buy pvp gear with.

I read there will be ranked gear in pvp and that will be the best gear. But how does pvp rank/level work in this game. Do you have to have to "win every match" to rise in rank and when you hit a certain rank you just buy the gear with gold?

In SWTOR I did grind out the best pvp gear solo and then when my guild mates came online we did the ranked pvp with the perfect setup. In that game the ranked(while i was still playing) pvp gear was just a different color.

Most of my guild mates are still in gw2 and will probably just stay there so I will most likely just play this game solo to start with. Meaning a lot of pvp pugging. That can be fun but usually means you don't win as much. If that means it's impossible to get any gear, this game will just be another mmo I try untill I hit level cap.
  2. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

best pvp gear will come from warplots, i dont belive you can queue up for a warplot without being on a Guild.

you will be able to solo farm BG PvP gear, but nothing above that i think.
  3. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

No offence but this just sounds like a freaking sissy way to handle PvP.....losing and still being able to get the good gear?? Are you kidding me?!?!?!?!

Where is the fun in that?
    Well.....''win every match'' might be a bit too much, but you certainly have to win more then you lose :p
    Once you write into rated BG/arena/warplots you will begin losing/winning rating.
    Win and you gain rating
    Lose and you also lose rating

PvP gear comes from:
    1. Warplots (20v20, 40v40)
    2. Arena (2v2, 3v3, 5v5)
    3. Rated Battleground (depends on which map)

Each PvP scene having it's own rating (so BG rating, arena rating, warplot rating).
    The best gear comes from Warplots, then Arena and the weakest PvP gear comes from rated BG's.

You can also join non rated BG's to train, but you will not be able to get anything from it as far as we know.
    Gold??? You'll buy it with a different currency then your regular ''gold''.

Do you have any more questions????
    Just a small note: for warplots you need to be in a WARPARTY. Which isn't a guild (it's more of a PvP group with some things similar to a guild but it doesn't has all the functions a real guild has).
    One can be part of a guild AND a warparty, even seperate ones that doesn't belong to the same people.

Indeed!

Although technically speaking I don't think BG's should be considered ''solo'' you do play with other people....and please for the sake of the PvP Gods in WildStar do communicate/play with your teammates to make sure you get the most out of it! You can solo quee though :D (nitpicking)
    It's time for some real PvP action!!!!
    Afrotech likes this.
  4. mmoplayer

mmoplayer New Cupcake

Thank you for the info. Just want to say that I'm not for or against a hardcore/casual way to get gear. It depends on how my real life situation looks like.

From your post, reading it as someone who plays mmos to advance my character, it feels pointless to start playing the game unless I can find a good guild that does 20/40 man warplots. Btw will 40 man warplots give better gear then 20 man?

Getting together the same 40 people to advance your character will mean a huge time investment. I'm not saying that as a complaint. Just trying to figure out if it's worth for me to play this game. One of the things that I liked about WARs pvp(besides actually making tank specced pvp tanks usefull) was the RVR where you could come and go, you didn't need the exact same people every time and if a few more guild mates logged on they could join in. The whole time you were fighting and taking zones your rank went up.

I really would like to get back into RVR in mmos I think. I tried ESOs RVR and while not bad, no character collision plus no gear grind killed it for me.
  5. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Good luck getting in a warparty (again, it'not a guild!!!) without playing the game. It will be so much easier to find one in-game. + which warparty would want you if you haven't gotten some PvP gear before joining them???

Also we don't know how big the differences between high end arena gear and warplot gear will be.
  6. Ianpact

Ianpact Cupcake-About-Town

I don't recall them saying Warplots would have 20 man versions. Might you be able to tell me when and/or where they released that info?

I do wonder if you will actually have to have 40 que-ed players to actually get your team in or could you make an agreement with an opposing group to use less, say 20, players on each side? Or are you only able to que up for random competition? Though, I thought I recall them saying you will be able to pick your "enemies".
  7. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Well the funny thing is (here we go again, since we've had this discussion a couple of times before).

In one of the earlier info about warplots they still said 20v20/40v40, but last info they suddenly never talked about the 20v20 option.
    YET! I haven't seen any info them saying 20v20 was removed, so possibly they will add it after launch.....or they just forgot to mention they removed it.......that's ofcourse always possible.
    Ianpact likes this.
  8. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

That's the problem with people these days.

you dont have to do warplots, just do BG's and Arenas, you still be able to PvP, have fun and advance your characters.

you dont have to be able to get the best gear in the game to enjoy it, the best gear should go to the people who invest their time into the game.

i most likely wont run warplots, but that's not stoping me from doing arenas.
  9. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

Take the Witiki Moodie Temple thing battleground from the pvp vidoes as an example....

I am kind of curious about credit and one thing from it. Granted it's not solo pvp content, but I am curious about rewards. In the battleground the goal is to capture and return 5 moodie masks. The first side to get 5 wins. You also seem to get pvp rep from defeating enemy players.

Obviously the winning team would get bonus reputation, but I wonder if delivering the masks also gives you a bonus to reputation if your side loses. For example, do you gain reputation for delivering the mask? Does that reputation only go to the player who did it, or the whole team? I've been trying to watch the videos to tell, but sometimes it's hard to keep up and tell.
  10. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

IF that would be the case I would be highly disappointed, for the sole reason that it DOES NOT! increase group gameplay!
    It would only reward those who want a mask instead of those who helped him get it to the base.

If it goes to the whole team, that would be way better :up:

So personally I don't think you'll get ''solo reward'' for turning in a mask.
  11. Pejo

Pejo Cupcake-About-Town

I'm just going to assume that reputation = prestige, the PVP currency. They seem to be pushing for completing the objectives, and from what I can see in streams, it did look like the whole team ended up getting prestige for grabbing the mask.

As for Warplots, you are able to solo queue for this; HOWEVER, it'll only join you with War Parties that join that do not have the full 40 people. So queue could be quite long on this one. It'll be an option, but not sure how great it'll be.
  12. Jeuraud

Jeuraud Cupcake-About-Town

I have a hard time seeing Warparties pulling in players from queues, not when there are Player Circles, especially in established, good Warparties.

A Warplot is not a PvP Raid generated by the game; it’s made by the players, just like housing. It requires players’ time and resources to create, and from everything I’ve read Warplots are destroyable by the other team, which means that if the Filler is incompetent or worse an asswipe troll, that time and resources could be lost, requiring the Warparty to spend more time and resources to replace and repair instead of maintain and upgrade the Warplot.

A Warplot is Eldergame PvP, which means you have to be level 50 before you can even participate in a Warplot. Warparty members should have plenty of players in their circles to fill slots (People who are not willing or unable to participate fulltime in a Warparty.), or even recruit from these circles. The people in the Circles are people the Warparty memebers have already gamed with.

If I have put my time and resources into a Warplot, I would be very reluctant to pull a stranger from a queue to fill a Warparty slot, and I sure as hells would not pull a complete stranger to fill a Warparty member slot.
  13. Blue Tunic Man

Blue Tunic Man Cupcake-About-Town

I always found getting rewarded for being suckage/losing a lot always a weird thing. It always seem like a staple thing in MMOs to get rewarded half the reward for losing but is that really the way to go? It'd be nice how the PvP scene plays out when everything is on the line and your team sucking throws all the PvP-currency to the other team.

But then again I imagine that absolutely sucks for the people too lazy to get a group of PvPers together and just want to PuG it up. Plus it also brings up the problem is you can't really do too well when everyone is in PvP gear, this particular phenomenon happens in the middle of expansion or game.

But if there was a free, starter set of PvP gear that could help null the blow so you don't have to grind your face against a cheese gratter in questing gear.

As far as getting a warparty, you're in a perfect situation right now. (How so, mister blue man?) Starting era of games (Release) have a lot of displaced people, nothing formed together that's been formed for long, and every scene (PvP, PvE, what have you) in a certain MMO is ripe for the guy looking.

No solid cliques have been formed and you could probably slip into one before they do solidify with a little effort.
  14. mmoplayer

mmoplayer New Cupcake

I don't see a problem here. I'm just tring to determine if this game is right for me or not. I know you can't always know that before a mmo is out, but you can find out as much as you can. With my op I was trying to find out if there was some info how rank and gear really works.

That's your opinion and telling people what they should enjoy in a game never works.
    I have mentioned in the posts above me that I have no problem with this.

Good for you. When i wan't to pvp without thinking about gear grind I play fps games. When I'm in the mood for something else I play mmos.
  15. mmoplayer

mmoplayer New Cupcake

Well rewarding the losing team in some way is necessary if you wan't them to ever queue again. That might not matter much to some of us but there are a lot of people out there that enjoy instanced pvp and losing those customers won't help the game.

Ofcourse a lot will depend on how well teams are matched up. In WAR and SWTOR it was a mess(no cross server queues really made things worse to). I was mostly in a pre and we just won against pugs and the less organized premades over and over untill finally we meet some other really good pre. Eventually the pugs just quit queuing if they knew the more organized guild were active. And that lead to super long queues(once again no cross sever queues) and fighting the same guys over and over to the point were it became so boring you didn't want to play anymore.

I'm sure they will do something like that.

Ye that's true I guess :) It's more of a "the people I have played mmos with for a long time are staying in games I no longer enjoy and wading through all the bad pugs to find new people to play with kinda sucks"-thing
  16. Jeuraud

Jeuraud Cupcake-About-Town

Bullgose!
    Once you’re beyond T-ball, the only thing you should expect for loosing is a 1 added to the loss column. This is just one more thing WoW <REDACTED>ed, that the WoW clones followed; the expectation of getting something even if you lose. Hells even in PvE you don’t get anything if you lose; why in the <REDACTED> should you get something for losing in PvP?

This is pretty much what we know about PvP gear,
    which you could have found by doing a simple search.

Something to note; gear is only one factor in W* gaming. There is also player skill, LAS, and AMPs, and player skill is going to be a big factor in PvP, because if you can’t hit them, you can’t kill them (Or heal them.); no matter how good your gear is.
  17. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

While I agree that in WoW you got a bit too much when you lost a game.

But giving NOTHING when losing will ruin the game more then giving something for various reason, which i'm sure you'll see aswell so I don't have to spell it out for you.

I wish they reduce the amount you gained when losing so it get's a bit more of that ''we need to win'' mentality back into the game. But they have to give something when losing!
  18. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

Until more info is available regarding max level PvP, most of the info here about obtaining gear is utter speculation.
  19. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

While I agree with Jeuraud's take, I don't mind a small amount of "points" given to the losing team, but I have always had the belief that players should only get the most basic pvp gear until they advance to a higher level playing field. If you continue to lose and don't have the skill to advance, then the basic gear is all you deserve to get, and if advancing means being a part of an organized team, then that's what you should have to do, since there are no 1v1 games in Wildstar.
  20. CriSPeH

CriSPeH Cupcake-About-Town

WoW originally didn't give anything for losing.
    The reason they changed it was because before cross-server Qs were put in players would just leave matches as soon as they knew/thought they were gonna lose. Often this was right at the beginning of the match when they would see the other team was a premade. So if the opposing faction had a premade team running matches all the games would end up either closing or being wipes.

Because why fight a losing battle if you don't get anything!?
    Just because you lose the match doesn't mean its because of lack of skill, what if a couple of your team gets DC'd? Should you just bail on the game because you will now lose from being outnumbered?

If there is no incentive to keep trying even if you know it wont mean victory then you end up with what WoW had when BGs were first introduced. PPL dropping out mid match, either causing the game to shutdown with no winner at all, or those poor ppl who had been sitting in Q getting tossed into a game where they are out numbered and getting spawn camped, in which case they just turn around and leave also.

There is nothing wrong with rewarding players for participation, especially if that involves fighting a losing battle all the way to the end. If your team is outnumbered 10 to 6-7 and you keep running out there and trying instead of just bailing on the match then you should get rewarded for it. Its what inspires ppl to want to learn 2 play better instead of breeding a "<REDACTED> off noob you made us lose type of environment"

I will agree that some games have gone a little overboard with loser winnings, but it certainly shouldn't just be removed from the game entirely.

And as far as nothing for losing in PvE, that depends on what you consider winning. If you wipe on the Dungeon boss you don't lose all the loot you acquired up to that point, so even if you lose at completing the dungeon you still get what you earned for how far you got. So if you lose a match in Watiki Temple but managed to run back 3 masks, return 2 and get 10 kills you still should earn something for your effort.
    Consiliem and Blue Tunic Man like this.