1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Will you be able to solo grind pvp gear?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by mmoplayer, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Jeuraud

Jeuraud Cupcake-About-Town

A dungeon is a series of matches/games with the Boss match being the final match, and you do not reach the Boss match by losing the previous matches.
    The Watiki Temple example on the other hand is one match, no different than say an American Football game where you got 3 sacks, and ran a fumble back for a touchdown, and your offense got one touchdown, but the opposing team got three touchdowns.
    No matter how well you as an individual did, you’re team still lost the game, and the only thing you’re team gets for losing a game once your beyond T-ball is a 1 on the loss column.

The above being said, I’ve realized that I’m talking from inexperience with formal MMORPG PvP.
    The concept of someone bailing out on the team while the match is still going had not donned on me, but it should have; I have had players do that in PvE before, and one of the reasons I liked the CoHV star system (It linked characters to players.).
    In the real world there are real world consequences for bailing on your team, especially in the middle of a game. In the virtual world there are no consequences, especially if a character is not linked to a player, so I guess there should be some type of incentive to finish out with your team, even if you’re losing (Though there should be something in place where you can call the game if your team is getting their ass handed to them.).

Anyways I can see valid reasons for giving some reward for formal PvP even if you lose, but I will never see participating your way to the best PvP gear, which I feel is what the OP wants.
  2. Bnol

Bnol Cupcake-About-Town

Obviously if you can fill it within your circle you will, that is not the choice. The choice is whether you call it for the night if someone doesn't show up/has to leave and you are left with an open spot you can't fill. I would rather play and pull from a queue that is based on matchmaking (e.g. match the solo queued player with a similarly ranked Warparty) than getting a random from general/trade chat, taking Bob's obviously terrible cousin, or not filling the vacancy.
    CriSPeH likes this.
  3. Bnol

Bnol Cupcake-About-Town

In terms of PVP gearing, I don't see how 20v20 Warplots would fit as a viable option, without consuming 40v40. Assuming 40>20>Arena(2-5v2-5)>BG (solo queue), the organizational requirement takes a huge jump from Arena (2v2) to 20v20, that there would be little reason to organize a 20v20 for a marginal upgrade from arena (or not an upgrade for your better players as they can likely achieve higher ratings in arena), when compared to doing 40v40, especially considering the 40v40 PVE focus. Why it can work in PVE is because there is different content between 20v20 and 40v40, and 20v20 is a stepping stone and/or a place to be able to catch up on some gear, so it makes sense for the 40-man to break up into 20-mans to maximize advancement.
  4. Consiliem

Consiliem New Cupcake

I completely agree with CriSPeH, I don't believe that there is anything wrong with rewarding players for participation for reasons such as: teammates trolling, multiple DC's, or really any other reason that I can't think of at the moment.

Sometimes it seems that a select group of people (mostly the ones who call themselves hardcore.. in my experience the players that boast being hardcore usually are only out to ruin days for others, and usually aren't even 'hardcore') believe that a player should be punished for not winning a BG or other competitive match.

Honestly, the punishment is in the fact that you just lost the match. I have no problem with players getting some sort of reward for participation and for actually trying in a match, especially if that reward scales with their level of actual participation (effective heals, flag pickups (not necessarily captures), time spent defending a Point of Interest, etc.). However, I can also understand where you shouldn't be able to lose your way to the same gear that the hardcore PvP'er who has never lost a game has without a MASSIVE hardship (or not at all).

My current train of thought lends to the solution where you get lesser rewards from losing, such as currency, and it just makes it that much harder to get to the same point someone who constantly wins has. Either that, or a system where losing gives you currency A, and winning gives you currency B, and currency B buys items that are a step above currency A's available rewards.
  5. Jeuraud

Jeuraud Cupcake-About-Town

I can see I was not very clear with my statement.
    I was not talking about just pulling from my Circle, but the Circles of all of the Warparty members. I have a hard time believing that at level 50+, that 40+ people cannot fill an empty slot with someone competent (with competent being a <REDACTED>ing obvious requirement) that someone on the Warparty knows.