1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Will you check the box?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Kataryna, Apr 4, 2013.

?

Will you check the box?

1. Yes! My server only!

84 vote(s)
    80.8%
  2. No! X-Server please!

20 vote(s)
    19.2%
  1. Rakkis

Rakkis Cupcake

I really don't care if the que is going to be long for server only groups, it's worth it. As long as it doesn't get ridiculous, like 3 hour wait or something I will always have it checked.
    Mudfin likes this.
  2. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

I'm super glad that Carbine decided to offer this tick-box in the UI for the group finder.

However, I still hope efforts will be made to remove the barriers to players finding long-term in-game relationships, to help them solidify as a guild. Because, ultimately, your guild is the best LFG resource you should have... and I'd like to find a way to foster that sentiment in the game.

Group content gets noticeably better and markedly more fun when you do it with people you know.
    Yakzan and Mat'hir Uth Gan like this.
  3. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

That's very much a real possibility. If you have a desire to do that odd, off-leve dungeon in the zone no one goes to... it's possible you'll never find 4 other players on your server that want to do it at the same time you do.

That's what developers are trying to solve with cross-realm group finders, but I find getting single players together to do group content that way sacrificies quality of content and quality of experience.
  4. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

but...but...healers always have fricken SHORT queue times! along with tanks!
  5. Rakkis

Rakkis Cupcake

I have no problem if it's the off-level dungeons, then x-server, but I would hope i'm in a good guild, or have a good bunch of friend to level with by then. I just glad there will be a group finder. When TOR first came out I literally would spam chat for hours just to find someone too group with ( Mainly in the post 25 level dungeons). Non-group finders just don't cut it anymore.
  6. Draegan

Draegan Cupcake

Sup homie.
  7. Mat'hir Uth Gan

Mat'hir Uth Gan Cupcake-About-Town

Terris-Thule for EQ.

Antonia Bayle for EQ2.

Had great experiences on both servers. 10+ years of gaming.
  8. Mat'hir Uth Gan

It's absolutely amazing to me that most gamers know and understand this, but yet, developer after developer makes a failed MMO that has to go Free 2 Play because nobody sticks around. All because they don't understand the importance of server community and how to foster it. It starts with grouping on a particular server and ends with joining a guild on that server, usually through the people you've met and played with over time.

What good does a cross server dungeon finder do? It helps get your rocks off quicker with people you'll never guild and enjoy the end game with.

And people hit cap. Exhaust the content. And move on to the next big game because this one failed to foster any type of community to keep the player playing.

It's a three pronged success formula that nobody seems to get right. The game has to be good, the player has to feel achievement and uniqueness with his character (usually done through class, race, and trinity role), and the player has to feel attached to the server (usually occurs due to friendships made through grouping and guilding). You screw up any of these, the game gets added to the quickly growing pile of 3 month and done attention sinks.

And the way the developers of these games keep screwing this up is by fostering an atmosphere based on the solo game experience which tends to lend itself to dual spec options and dungeon finders to make it even more faceroll and convenient. This kills all three prongs of the success formula. Dual spec ruins class individuality and role, a single player focus ruins the server community and any chance at group oriented play, and because you can do so much solo, who needs to make friends and treat people with respect, you don't need them. And then there's no relationships to keep you playing the game after three months.

Unfortunately, WildStar looks to be following the same set up. All the innovations, humor, and fun won't matter if there are no relationships fostered in the game to keep people playing. It starts and ends with solo game play. If you can play the game solo, the vast amount of people will, and that's why the MMO fails. At some point, someone will put 2 and 2 together. We've had enough evidence for years now.
    Joukehainen likes this.
  9. Bellaby

Bellaby Well-Known Cupcake

Not at level cap, in my experience!
    Sowwy kitten-bro! ^_^;
  10. Simokon

Simokon Cupcake-About-Town

If 75% of the population didn't want to play dps queue times wouldn't suck so bad :p
  11. Joukehainen

Joukehainen Well-Known Cupcake

And then the difficulty level can be made to match it... no longer would devs have to design dungeons with "a group of complete strangers without vchat and without any prior knowledge of grouping have to be able to do this on the first try" in mind. :B

Yeah no idea what you mean, there, healers and tanks are always short in population in my experience, as well. Everyone goes DPS. >.>
  12. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

I see all of these people saying they know from experience that same server queues are this that or the other thing ... I feel like I have played most MMOs out there and have never seen a same server lfd tool, ever .. did I miss something or are these ppl making stuff up?

qtf. which is why i'll be able to same server lfd all day long and still have fast queues. :)
  13. Simokon

Simokon Cupcake-About-Town

Well people like to exaggerate to make points, it is human nature.
  14. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

exaggerating is one thing .. making stuff up as fact is quite another.
    /meh .. just wanted to make sure I wasn't suffering from some strange form of delirium :)
  15. Jojin

Jojin Cupcake-About-Town

I agree with the sentiment that X-Server Dungeon ques have a negative impact on a server's community. Plus players are normally extremely selfish or rude in those instances as they know there isn't much repercussion for the actions as they will most likely never cross paths again.

At the same time, I know many people in games now days are shallow; they don't care about community and want instant play gratification. This means inclusion of a system will satisfy a number of players.

So I don't think the question of yes or no should really apply, but should be a question of what could be done to combat the negative effects the X Server que. Like perhaps, after instance is over thumbs up or down for the other members. Then, even though anonymous with most groups, a reputation still follows a person.

As much as I don't like X server ques, in the end it seems they are here to stay. Lets work for ways to amek them better.
    Simokon likes this.
  16. Ego13

Ego13 Cupcake-About-Town

While i agree in premise I find it very hard to prove the point.

We will have trolls in the game regardless of the queue, same server or not. You're not going to avoid those people by staying in server, you're just taking more time out of your gaming experience (which seems to build community in everyone's mind).

This whole thing just lacks a bit of logic.
  17. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

I hope to not use the LFG tool due to being in a guild but if I do find myself using it I will check the box. :)
  18. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

yes, you missed RIFTs original LFG. It was single server only.
  19. Acidblood

Acidblood Cupcake-About-Town

Except WoW was largely soloable and it took off like a rocket compared to all the 'group only' MMOs, and went strong for years. It's not as easy as making all content group only (which btw, removes a kind of gameplay, which is never good), but yeah, I do agree that there needs to more reasons for interaction, and less ways to avoid it... and making dungeons hard enough that they actually require co-ordination and team work would be a good start.
  20. Mat'hir Uth Gan

It depends. When WoW first came out, it had soloable elements, especially early levels, but it was mostly a group oriented game. Elites were everywhere, all the decent gear came from those quests. There were no PvP rewards, and the game was difficult. You had to get the better gear at each level to progress. The dungeons at each level were hard and you ran them a ton just to get good enough gear to do the next set of content.

Early WoW was glorious. There was no dual spec. There was no dungeon finder. The classes had a ton of individuality and uniqueness, including racials. People knew the better tanks and healers on the server. It was too expensive to respec often, so people stayed in their roles. It was great. The worst thing that happened to Warcraft was that they casualized it over time to appeal to soloers. That game went from all about grouping and dungeons, to soloing and dailys. It once was a great game.
    Acidblood likes this.