1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Will you check the box?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Kataryna, Apr 4, 2013.

?

Will you check the box?

1. Yes! My server only!

84 vote(s)
    80.8%
  2. No! X-Server please!

20 vote(s)
    19.2%
  1. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

Yes, and then Man discovered Fire.
    Khrusky likes this.
  2. Vembumees

Vembumees Cupcake-About-Town

If the queue is less than 1 hour I will definitely keep checking the server only box.
  3. Bellaby

Bellaby Well-Known Cupcake

I may actually prefer cross-server altogether if we can have a X-realm friends list, Think of how many more friends I could make! It's astronomical!
  4. A Game of Scones

A Game of Scones New Cupcake

No. I will not intentionally handicap myself, which all that "server only" queues when a cross server option exist are. Handicaps. A "server only" option may as well not exist if a cross server option does as well. The presented decision to have a check box may seem to be compromise, but it is not.
    Azazello likes this.
  5. Phiqu

Phiqu Cupcake-About-Town

[x] I want to play with my Server.
  6. Acidblood

Acidblood Cupcake-About-Town

I could not agree more, nor could I have said it better.

For the record when I say soloing I don't mean mindless easy mode, I want solo content (including leveling) to be challenging, I should want to group up with the guy next to me and it should make my life that much easier... problem is so many MMOs of late are so easy that grouping just becomes a burden and it's really sad.
  7. Merketh

Merketh Cupcake

During primetime, yes. if im on off-hours I may check the cross one.
  8. Alowen

Alowen New Cupcake

Probably not checking the box no.. I'd rather group with my guildies, and if I am by myself, it doesnt realy matter if the pugs are from my server or not I guess because I do not know em anyway?
  9. Wreck

Wreck Cupcake-About-Town

I will make sure to play in a high-populated server and I will definitely check the box.
  10. Inukeu

Inukeu Well-Known Cupcake

primarily I'll just play on my own server, make freinds, find a good guild etc but if the wait is too long I might go x realm just to make progress/gear up
  11. Joukehainen

Joukehainen Well-Known Cupcake

You missed something. We've been having massive discussions on why and how cross-server match-making is damaging for the community, including reddit discussions with Carbine about it. :)
  12. Mat'hir Uth Gan

Mat'hir Uth Gan Cupcake-About-Town

We didn't discover a core element, we created a concept that is destroying MMOs. The proof is in the recent trend of games over the last decade that completely suck and can't keep people playing. They all have a shift towards casual play in common.

Its more like when Europeans discovered America and brought a ton of dumb ideas, diseases, and guns, and proceeded to annihilate the natural beauty of what had previously been created.

MMOs right now are suffering from smallpox and malaria. This horrible casual sickness is running rampant through the industry. I don't blame Warcraft for this, I blame the idiots that thought Warcraft was successful because it appealed to casual players (it did not), and then decided to make their games more and more dumbed down, so each subsequent game was even more idiot proof, but completely lacking in community and longevity. And then those people were shocked their games failed when the casuals left for the next big thing.
    Vembumees likes this.
  13. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

<Mod Monocle> Please keep things on topic. Also, for all parties involved, respect each other's opinions and don't outright say they are wrong or anything like that because you don't agree with their opinion. </Mod Monocle>
  14. Ego13

Ego13 Cupcake-About-Town

Putting cruise control, visible speedometers, rear view cameras, and other conveniences didn't "ruin the car company" and conveniences don't ruin the gaming community. The reason people move to new games is because the content isn't there. Choosing features you don't like and blaming them for the plight of all gaming-kind doesn't make it true.

EQ2, WoW, Rift all have very steady communities and player-base, and 2/3 of them have these kinds of system in place. There are a multitude of reasons the newer games are fighting, and losing, for players. One of which, imo, is the fact that they're using a F2P model. Why would I stay in a game that I have nothing to lose from walking away from?

I would agree with one small part of what you said, there is a lack of depth and time required. Most new games you hit max level in a week of hardcore play, which means in less than a month a casual player is at max. This is a huge miss since if it's a F2P model they've invested very little time, little or no money, and now there's little or nothing for them to do. So they move on.

That being said, does running to the instance add "more to do"? No. Again, this system is used successfully (very) already, so why fight against it.

<Mod Monocle> Flamebait removed. </Mod Monocle>
  15. Mat'hir Uth Gan

Mat'hir Uth Gan Cupcake-About-Town

Valid Rebuttal.

There have certainly been positive contributions to the MMO industry. Graphics and the new fighting dynamics chief amongst them. In terms of conveniences, we learned long ago that they remove the flavor of the game. Once Everquest put in the Nexus and later the Plane of Knowledge, everyone had convenience out the wazoo. Unfortunately, it ruined the best social aspects of being a wizard or druid and having the unique ability to port players around and make money off doing so.

It's hard for me to think of a convenience that made MMOs better. Auction Houses are probably the single biggest example of a somewhat positive convenience. But by making items so easy to obtain and sell, it created an easy way for gold farmers to maximize profits, and it made *earning* unique items trivial as you could buy them for dirt cheap.

I'd like to see games go to a 100% merit based policy. You can earn gold, but you can never trade it to players. You use it to train abilities and buy materials or items from NPC vendors. Every single item you get, you earn. Instantly, gold farmers are negated, and players will be ultra unique because everyone will have different items based on their ability to earn and/or locate them. Casuals and people who dislike a challenge will hate the game, the playerbase will be smaller, but it will be far superior.

Instead, we've gone with convenience. Lets let the players buy anything they want because it's easier. It makes developing the game easier, it makes casuals happy which is easier, and it makes leveling easier since everyone is twinked out.

I would also say that EQ, EQ2, and WoW are nowhere near the games they were years ago. They've all been dumbed down massively, and almost all challenge has been removed, as well as dependence upon grouping. They all have decent raiding still, but that's because they've given up on the rest of the game experience.

Now, as far as "running to an instance", I don't like instances. They are anti-social, they make leveling massively easier, and they make getting gear incredibly easy as well. I like massive open world dungeons like Everquest and Vanguard had. The crawl of trying to get to a boss room at the bottom was great, and if you got there and wanted to try and hold the room, go for it. I am okay with instances for raiding since you can design epic fights and entire guilds can't block you from content. It seems like a necessary evil for end game, but Everquest was glorious when you had massive competition just to tag a single raid mob. Steam-rolling guilds for Avatar or Emperor, or the dragons in the Western Wastes were legendary.

Anyway, on this, I think Warcraft did it right at launch. They had their dungeon instances, which you often had to fight down to, and they were hard. Really hard. They had MC set up as raid, which was perfectly done, and then they had all the open world raid bosses that had to be tagged. I'm hoping that WildStar copies early Warcraft, not later Warcraft, since it's not going to copy Everquest.
  16. Ego13

Ego13 Cupcake-About-Town

I would love a system where you actually had open world dungeons and had to compete for spots etc.... However with where the mmo community has gone it would spiral quickly into griefing and camping, keep in mind i generally only refer to PvP servers as that's all i play.
  17. Simokon

Simokon Cupcake-About-Town

A lot of you really hate cross server dungeons, I always thought it was a good thing because I hated spending 45 minutes or more trying to get into certain dungeons. I don't appreciate most of my time I have to play being spent spamming LFG :(
  18. Malorak

Malorak Cupcake-About-Town

Yes.
    ...80-20. Wow. I'm number 100!

OMG WAT DO I WIN?!
  19. Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen Well-Known Cupcake

It seems like other than the occasional fight for a raid boss in the open world you want a single player game. If you remove the ability to trade with other players you are gutting any player economy, removing a huge and integral social aspect of Massively Multiplayer Online Games.
  20. Naunet

Naunet Well-Known Cupcake

Correlation does not equal causation.

A lot of failed games were fundamentally flawed for many other reasons, as well.
    Mat'hir Uth Gan likes this.