1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Will you check the box?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Kataryna, Apr 4, 2013.

?

Will you check the box?

1. Yes! My server only!

84 vote(s)
    80.8%
  2. No! X-Server please!

20 vote(s)
    19.2%
  1. Draegan

Draegan Cupcake

Both Rift and swtor both launched d their lfds as same server.
  2. Fuel68

Fuel68 New Cupcake

Honestly, I think my decision to check/uncheck the box will be dependent upon the context or situation for my own gaming-playtimes. I may be lucky enough to find a guild to call home where the LFG/LFD-tool system becomes irrelevant for my purposes; as I'd prefer to group up with my own "circle" of friends or immediate community of guildmates. I would basically trust them more, but I digress. I may like to see the LFG/LFD-tool system evolve as the game gets older, population dilutes or concentrates, etcetera.

But for right now... For example upon release, I would most likely check the box for "server-only" as there would be plenty in the way of population pool to draw from---ie new game, lots of players, et al. Plus checking off the 'server-only' helps to strengthen your own server community reputations. Something that's been lost in my opinion with the overabundance of 'convenience' (some say dumbed-down) aspects of today's cadre of MMO's. I'd love to have the positive notoriety of being renowned as that dependable healer, tank, explorer, scientist, or settler that's needed for their faction's cause---word of mouth, legend/myth of one's own 'badassedness.' :laugh: Personally that'd be pretty dang cool.

Off the top of my head, I think the only reason why I'd like a 'cross-server' option for a LFG/LFD-tool system is if I'm gaming during non-primetime hours like the early AM or late evenings after work. Other than that, I'm eager to see what Carbine has in store and that there are options for all of us to feel comfy with. ;)
  3. Mat'hir Uth Gan

Mat'hir Uth Gan Cupcake-About-Town

Well, that's probably the #1 reason dungeon finders were created. You have to ask yourself, what is the true reason for your inability to get groups though. Is it because there are no people to run the dungeon, or is it because you didn't put much effort into socializing and making inter-server connections?

Without judging, it seems that in most cases, people don't like to take the time to make friends, and then get annoyed that random strangers won't group with them.

Absolutely not. I want there to be no solo option outside of maybe crafting and player housing. If I'm going to level, I want to need a group to do so remotely efficiently. Playing with other players is the lifeblood of an MMO, it should be to advance and actually play the game, you HAVE to group. Player economy is the most overrated, over-used concept there is. Removing it would make the games so much better and it would remove gold farmers completely. For players, instead of trading money for a particular weapon, they would now need to make friends to go get that weapon themselves.

I would say player economy is the biggest fallacy in an MMO. It shouldn't be gold as the almighty resource, it should be your time and your friendship. Anything people can buy and trade with gold, they could also simply make friends and go get it themselves.

That's my concept. The game I want is as far from a solo game as you can get because you can't do squat without other players.
  4. Vembumees

Vembumees Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah, lfd was just a convinience for lazy players. I mean, I could even make groups in a dead server at 3 am easily, I just opened up /who tool, which has always been there, and just searched for my level players and asked if they wanted to do a dungeon and it wasn't a problem getting 5 people together. You don't even to make any connections or socializing, you just need to make a group.

About the economy part, I actually agree, but sadly there is no way at all to remove economy from a game. In a game with no trading, people will just trade real money for actions and the game will become pay to win. Easy as that, lol, harsh world we live in. Your game won't sadly exist, there is no fix for greed.
    Mat'hir Uth Gan likes this.
  5. Roland Daemon

Roland Daemon Cupcake-About-Town

Short answer:

Yes, I will check it. All the time? maybe.. but I will use it.
  6. Venion

Venion New Cupcake

It would really depend on my mood, how many people I'm entering with, and my time constraint. I'd love to use it most of the time, but that wont always be optimal. I'm just glad they're giving us the option. :)