1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Will you play as your gender?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Graff (FLB), Mar 31, 2013.

?

WIll your character (main at least) be your same gender?

1. Yes, Im male and Id play as a male.

166 vote(s)
    54.8%
  2. Yes, Im female and id play as female.

42 vote(s)
    13.9%
  3. No, Im male and Id play as female.

90 vote(s)
    29.7%
  4. No, Im female and Id play as male.

5 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

I like my character to represent me. Unless the males look really bad then I'll be going male.
  2. Lumzk

Lumzk New Cupcake

Yup, I feel like I get more immersed into the game that way. But I like to make my 2nd character the complete opposite of my first(main) so I usually have female alts. :)
  3. Pixie

Pixie Cupcake-About-Town

This is actually very true for me. I must admit, it's extremely rare to see male characters that resonate with me in any MMO, because either they don't have any interesting personality to them, or the personality they do have is too brutal or too cliché.

It's easier with female characters, after all, we grow up injecting personality into our very generic Barbie dolls... but even female characters tend to be based around the same male ideals, which I guess in a sense is a good thing since male fantasies are still more kind to the female form and still includes more alternatives than what female self loathing and harshness tends to allow for...*cough* SWTOR body type 4 *cough*

I actually think, though, that Carbine's been really good at making different characters that appeal to different demographics, and it is true for both genders of their races, I mean, we have the gruff and boozed-up antihero Granok, the Malcolm Reynolds-esque Exile men, the actually very springy and dainty male Aurin, the testosterone-on-legs-with-a-tail Draken, fricken robots, and the sly and elegant Cassians, so far... I believe we may see a fair few female players choosing male Excile, Cassian and Aurin characters that may not have chosen any male characters in most other games.

That said, I probably won't be one of them unless we do get male-only Chuas. But that's mostly down to armour aesthetics, I prefer looking at the clothes on my toon as things I'd pick or not pick myself, which pretty much only leaves trenchcoats for male characters...
  4. Outlaw

Outlaw Cupcake-About-Town

Always play a male as my main. That's mostly because I try to use the same tag in every game. My alts alternate between male and female so I have an even number of each.
  5. Epic

Epic New Cupcake

I'm a male, and I've never created a female character in a game. I'm all about doing whatever you want to make you happy, but I'll definitely be created a male.
  6. Doomgrin

Doomgrin Cupcake-About-Town

Answer is yes or no. Depends on the final race/class combos. I go with what fits a theme. If I want the big hulking brute tank, male granok. If I want a swift and slick spellslinger, then could be a roguish human male or a aurin vixen.

True roleplayers should let themselves go.
  7. Jarinolde

Jarinolde Cupcake-About-Town

I don't traditionally RP, and I don't view these characters as 1:1 replica's of myself. Sometimes I will project part of me onto them, like a writer does with a character, but they are NOT me. Coupled with the fact that I don't get weirded out as badly as other do, I tend to not care about what happens or what others think about what I play. Which leads me to this next part:

This, ladies and gentlemen, is the 14 year old reason for a male playing a female character. It's still relatively true to an extent for older men, but we're not so juvenile as to be playing females only because of the things on their chest and rear.

As to WHY? Simple, we prefer female beauty and aesthetics over male badassery, or what I like to call the "bro action hero" attitude.

EDIT: As to answer the title and poll: I'll most certainly be playing a female, as a male. Currently I have not 100% decided yet, but female Aurin is in the lead.
  8. Feliun

Feliun Cupcake

Doesn't bother me, I'll play both depending on what they look like and what I imagine the character to be like.
  9. Outlaw

Outlaw Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah, my choices don't have anything to do with sexuality or RP. I just like to have one of each sex wearing all the different tiers (cloth, leather, chain, plate) of armor. Makes me happy to see a bunch of beast looking toons in different armor whenever I go to character select.
  10. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

actually, oddly enough, the "I'd rather stare at a chick's butt" line, 100% of the time I've heard it has come from guys that are over 21. One married with children, one was about to go into the army, the rest were single.
  11. Jarinolde

Jarinolde Cupcake-About-Town

Odd indeed. Most of the players I've met share a similar sentiment as myself, only a few actually go with the above reason.
  12. Naunet

Naunet Well-Known Cupcake

Not particularly odd, considering a fair number of guys can never seem to mature past that teenage mindset. Especially guys in their 20s... >_<
  13. Calsic

Calsic Cupcake-About-Town

What the heck ... ?
  14. Dauthis

Dauthis Cupcake

Every character I make is designed with a small part of my personality in mind. Each class has it's own personality, and to resonate with whichever class I'm playing at the moment, the avatar of that character acts as a totem of the traits needed to focus me into play. The personality of the class will determine which gender I associate with those traits. I end up making a lot of alts, depending on my moods, and many of those alts get deleted :p
  15. Naunet

Naunet Well-Known Cupcake

What? Only have to look at a lot of college-age guys to see what I'm talking about. :p
  16. Draogon

Draogon Cupcake-About-Town

My main character will be male (warr), my first alt always seems to be a female scout based class, so I guess stalker. If that Alt later turns into my main though so be it, but it will have nothing to do with the characters sex.
  17. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

It really depends on what class I'm playing honestly. If the class is a light armor type class, I usually go female, if it's a heavy armor type class, then Male. I know that's pretty Cliché
  18. Prometheus

Prometheus Cupcake

I have not made up my mind. Also depends if my wife plays or not.
  19. Seagrey

Seagrey Cupcake-About-Town

Whichever has the best animations.
  20. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah same here. I've actually even had a female use the same thing, except playing a guy.