1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Will you play as your gender?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Graff (FLB), Mar 31, 2013.

?

WIll your character (main at least) be your same gender?

1. Yes, Im male and Id play as a male.

166 vote(s)
    54.8%
  2. Yes, Im female and id play as female.

42 vote(s)
    13.9%
  3. No, Im male and Id play as female.

90 vote(s)
    29.7%
  4. No, Im female and Id play as male.

5 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. Prometheus

Prometheus Cupcake

100% of the time they also stole the line from PVP the comic.
    They were playing the now sadly closed City of Heroes (in the comic I mean).
  2. Blaquknite

Blaquknite Cupcake

I dont play on RP servers but i generally play what i feel is appropriate for the character im making... I personally feel caster and priest types who are squishy and wear robes all the time look better as females (except WoW Warlocks... warlock is a male version of a witch so mine was male) big hulking warriors and even thieving rouges are better as males...

this is my opinion and my thought process when making a character.
  3. Moor

Moor New Cupcake

Male playing both. Most my mains have been female. In most games I like their animations better. Though thus far it seems that not all males in Wildstar look like either hulking retards on steroids or sly and slim sexually confused emo rockers. That is good.

I tend to play on RP realms too, and in WoW, for example, I had a few guys lash out at me upon finding out my gender. That was funny, them apparently being infatuated with a man, unknowingly. :D
  4. Neleh

Neleh New Cupcake

I'm always a little confuzzeld when someone says that they can't play a female character because they're a man, or vice-versa. I mean you're not a mage/esper/rogue either but doesn't seem to be stopping you...well that was a side note.

I also chuckle a little bit every time I hear the "If I have to stare at an ass for..." arguement, because I have a somewhat special affinity to that arguement. I played feral druid in WoW for 6-ish years, and most of that as a tank. What that means is that, where everyone else was getting all that cool gear, I was stuck looking at a bears ass for several hours per day, for several years. Yes, a bears ass, cuz that's how druids did their tanking. And when I had to have my back against the wall, to not get knocked back, the camera auto zooms in, closer to the bears ass. Now having done that in WoW for long enough, I decided to just frack it and roll a female toon in most MMO's that followed, because at least it would then be aesthetically more pleasing than the bears ass. Nothing pervy about it, I just had enough of the non-pleasing aesthetic. Also female toons tend to look better than males in general, plus even if I don't have a thing for pixelated females, it's still more pleasing to look at a pixelated female than a pixelated male.

Now as to the "It's confusing if they play the wrong sex, for interaction" bit. Ok, I can kind of see that on a RP server and when your memory works more visually, or whatever the english term for that was. Though even then, it is still a role playing game. As in people playing roles they aren't in normal life, like a mage, or a rogue, so why not a different gender as well? But when it comes to other servers, why are you assigning genders to individuals in the first place? Does it matter to you, if the other person you're playing with is a male or a female? I mean you should be courteous to everyone, and not just girls. The gender of the other player shouldn't really matter. It's one thing if you've been playing together for a while and already are kind of friends, but at that point you really should be able to manage Player X=male/female memorywise.
  5. Doomgrin

Doomgrin Cupcake-About-Town

Slight derail: common misconception. Warlocks are the outcasts of witches that have turned against the coven. This misconception comes from the Bewitched old TV series.
  6. Doomgrin

Doomgrin Cupcake-About-Town

Poll definitely needs a 5th option: I play what seems appropriate for the character concept without worries of feelings of personal discomfort
    Blaquknite likes this.
  7. Jersaun Korris

Jersaun Korris Cupcake-About-Town

Why do I play a male character while also being a male. Simple of course, I love to roleplay, and I feel more comfortable sticking to what I know, and just generally have the best experience with. Maybe it's this macho thing in the back of my mind screaming "Hey! Be that bad-ass masculine warrior!". Must be all those action movies with Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jason Statham, and hell the list goes on.

I can see why certain men, and women prefer to play different genders. I'm sure there are many reasons why they do, and none of them are strange to me. Some people like eye-candy to look at as they play. Some people are transvestite or transgender, and feel more comfortable playing what they feel is normal. Some people are just curious of what it is like on the other side of the gender spectrum.

There are negative reasons as well. From experience, a lot of male players will roll a female character, and even act female because males in all general fairness like to impress, or assist women. Instances like this goes back to the stone ages. Guy meets girl, guy wants to impress girl, so guy gives her stuff/helps her with stuff. It goes for some female gamers as well. They'll roll a male character because they don't want to be bothered, or obsessed about by the opposite gender. It's a deep to not so deep psychological thing.

A lot of what I have said goes hand in hand when role playing. Some people are just more comfortable role playing as their own genders while others just want to experiment by trying something new or what they are used to feeling as natural.

When it comes down to it though it doesn't need to be such a big issue if you play as a male, female, hermaphrodite, non-gender, or whatever. As long as your having fun, and not negatively impacting another player then game on!
  8. Moor

Moor New Cupcake

The whole thing with transsexuals and transgender people. Sure, why not. But seriously? Playing a toon of different gender from your own really does not transport one to "the other side". These characters are, in the end, only avatars. They don't encounter real world cultural biases nor do they have stuff like hormones affecting your brain while playing. Most people I know make these decisions for almost arbitrary reasons, in the end. I don't think it's wise to read too much into it.
    Joukehainen likes this.
  9. Dysp

Dysp Cupcake-About-Town

Since this thread is still going, I'll add to it. I'm a guy and I'll usually have a guy for a main. For alts, it's whatever I feel like choosing. If I'm planning on interacting frequently with the character, like joining guilds and playing with people I do not know in real life, I'll likely use a male character.

My logic boils down to: If I'm using a character as a social conduit, I feel it makes more sense to use my own gender; and if I'm just playing the game, mostly solo or with friends, I'll use whichever class/race/gender seems the most interesting at the time.

I made the mistake with my first big MMO, WoW, of choosing an RP server and using a female character. I was so confused. :confused: I thought roleplay meant roleplay in the sense of video game RPG, not something you did in addition to the game.

"RP Server?"

"Yes. I want to play the RPG version of this game."

I didn't realize RPing was a thing until I got my character a good 2/3s the way towards cap. I still played the character after then, ignoring the RP element, but it then did make much more sense as to why the other players behaved towards my character as they did.

I don't have anything against RPing, it's quite creative and interesting, but I certainly didn't feel comfortable portraying the opposite sex in an environment where you more-or-less become/act-through your character.

It really just comes down to that last bit. Some people think of the game character as a true avatar for themselves or something they work through, while others see it just as something they, as the player, interact with, and other see it further out as something they just observe. You're going to run along a mixed spectrum of players in an MMO world with varying/opposing virtual ideologies. In the end, just play whatever you want, for whatever reason you want. As long as no one gets actually hurt or repressed, it's cool...
  10. Chooby

Chooby Cupcake

Male playing male character here as well.

Even though I haven't role played in a very, very long time, I still like my character to be a close representation of myself.
  11. Yorobashi

Yorobashi Cupcake

If i feel like playing a human male that looks identical to myself so be it, if i feel like playing a 10 foot amazonian cat woman then damn it I'm going to play as a 10 foot tall amazonian cat woman who cut her owns tits off to survive breast cancer.
    Zyfreit likes this.
  12. Zyfreit

Zyfreit Cupcake

Exactly this for me. I've had male and female mains, and the driving force behind the choice for me was "which looks better" to me. In WOW I was a female dwarf rogue. Somehow male dwarfs didn't look sneaky enough, so I went female, and was THE rarest race/class/gender combo in game. I got so many tells saying "wow, I had no idea you existed!" In SWTOR I was a male cyborg agent. GW2 male charr necro. I typically pick a class, then pick the race I like, then decide which gender is more appealing. I actually avoided female humans in GW2.

In short, I'm a male playing whatever looks right for the character I want to create.
    Joukehainen and Yorobashi like this.
  13. Inimicus

Inimicus Cupcake

I shall be playing a male of whatever the smallest race in the game is and i shall be wearing a dress.

Always play the smallest race and a caster, just how i roll
  14. Impaler

Impaler Cupcake

I think a lot of single men/boys play female toons to kind of fill the void of being single. Its like having the feeling of " I have a girl waiting for me at home and I cant wait to play with her."
  15. Yorobashi

Yorobashi Cupcake

Aurin. You should join Special Delivery, its special because its full of exotic fur.

That may be very true, but I don't think it covers more than maybe 20% of men who play female toons, just like a similar percentage of women who play male toons do it to avoid being harassed.

Oh, fake statistic being fake, I'm only going off personal experience from the gamers I know. I personally like to have an even split of male and female characters because I feel that from an RP stand point, if I'm going to be an Aurin scientist what would fit better than a female? But if I'm going Aurin explorer or soldier I'd probably make it a male, call it me being sexist but its based in a fundamentally sexist play space (being the fantasy genre).
  16. Doctor Overlord

Doctor Overlord New Cupcake

The poll doesn't have 'I don't care about the gender of my video game character' choice.

Personally I view any RPGs as an interactive stories, MMO or otherwise, and I can enjoy stories that have main characters who are male or female. If the story is good the gender doesn't matter to me.

Also I like creative writing so I'm used to thinking up stories and characters of any gender. I suppose that may be why don't view a game characters as a reflection of myself anymore than when I'm thinking up characters in stories. I actually try to distance myself from characters so I don't slip into any Mary-sue habits. If the story is best served by having a character die, clinging to them is the worst thing one can do IMO.

As for video games, I wouldn't even mind perma-deathing one of my characters, but only if it was part of a really awesome conclusion that you could talk about for years to come :) Of course that's hard to do, but I still have never felt that any character in a virtual world has to be a reflection of real life.
  17. Laine

Laine New Cupcake

To me gender is subjective, and is by definition based on someone's traits and personality as opposed to biological sex. I usually play a character based on who I like the looks of most and as a reflection of my own personality. So in that regard I'll more than likely be playing as a female.
    Naunet and Twinflame like this.
  18. Twinflame

Twinflame Cupcake-About-Town

I like the tone Laine hits here, because it's more or less exactly what I was thinking when I saw this thread. To me this question's just narrow to the point of irrelevance. I guess other folk are getting a lot of mileage out of it, but as for me, there's no true answer.
  19. Cupcake

Cupcake Cupcake

My main is always female and my alts are mostly female with the occasional male alt.
  20. Bainik

Bainik Cupcake-About-Town