1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Will zones be instanced or open?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Kluzu, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Kluzu

Kluzu Cupcake

---Edited to clarify what I meant---
    As the title says, i'm curious as to if zones will be very open (like World of Warcraft) or seamless like SWTOR and GW2. Where you can move from zone to zone without hitting a wall of loading, using a portal in a narrow spot in a random rock wall that just happens to funnel a path, etc.

I haven't played much WoW, but one thing I loved was how zones connected and didn't hinder you with 2 loading screens per 10 minutes like GW2 sometimes did. Coming from GW2 i have to say the instanced, closed-off zones are horrible, and it entirely kills the game world for me along with other things.. SWTOR's zone size made it feel a bit better though for me even though i hadn't kept playing the game.
  2. ReapRHTB

ReapRHTB New Cupcake

As far as i know and can see it will be like WoW where the only thing really instanced is the Dungeons and raids and things you jump into like portals other then that you can fly around freely.
  3. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

I think there's 4 continents but within each continent zones will be open world, travel between each will require a load screen... I hope that answers your question.
  4. Kluzu

Kluzu Cupcake

Thanks for the replies, that's a huge relief to me if it's true!

I hate being bombarded with loading screens and breaks in zones, linear paths etc. So this is going to improve my experience, and many others' experience tenfold :))
  5. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

3 continents - loading screens between continents, but not between zones in the continent
    low level zones 1-3, 3-6 will be instanced so that it won't over load a zone during launch - plus not as much competition for mobs/quest objectives/etc
    Cretz, Myrrdhinn and Honour like this.
  6. Mel

Mel Cupcake-About-Town

Everyone says that WOW is not instanced but I have traveled from place A to place B on a boat that just screen shots to the next port. How is that not instanced?
  7. Myrrdhinn

Myrrdhinn Well-Known Cupcake

Ratchet - Booty Bay: Two different continent.

Besides that, the boat is a mean of "teleporting", just like the portals. There is a loading screen, yes. But it's not instanced.
  8. _decayed

_decayed New Cupcake

I think they mean instanced within each continent of the game, not the entire game not being instanced. Obviously they have to break it up somehow. I think a game of the size of an MMO would be hard to run otherwise.
  9. Haoli

Haoli Cupcake-About-Town

That would be because you've got the wrong definition of 'instance' there. Instancing refers to having multiple versions of the same area that players are placed in by any criteria. Dungeons by individual party is the most well-known example, followed by zone instancing by quest completion, such as Icecrown in WoW.

What you're talking about is the 'seamless world' experience.

Edit: Isn't this also the third thread in the last few days we've had asking this very question?
  10. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

Actually, Icecrown in WoW was Phasing, you were not actually in a different instance of the zone, you were just in a different phase. in an instance you wouldn't see the people in your party if they were in a different instance - not even on your mini-map. in phasing you'd see them on the mini map if they were "out of phase" from you.
  11. dizko

dizko Cupcake-About-Town

Personally I hope it's open, I find the instancing makes the worlds feel really empty. It kind of takes the MMO out of the MMO.
  12. Haversham

Haversham Cupcake-About-Town

The open world is not instanced, as others have said in this thread, so there's no hoping required :)
    kanochi likes this.
  13. Cretz

Cretz Cupcake

Sounds a lot like how the starting zones for the newer races and the Deathknight class in WoW are done. I wonder if backtracking to these zones will be possible.

I'm really happy they are limiting the load screens and having the main open world be seamless. SWTOR, GW2, and WAR really made me miss WoWs large continents. The loading screens you have to wait through really do pull you away from being immersed.
  14. Alex Moore

Alex Moore New Cupcake

If normal zones for questing/cities were instanced... I literally would not play this game. Such a deal breaker for me personally. I love to see people out and about, traversing the world as I go about my own missions.

I assume with all the recognition they've given to WoW and how so many aspects of the development match up with older versions of WoW, I don't think we have to worry about instanced zones.

As far as phasing goes... please please avoid it at all costs. For the same reason instanced zones are unappealing. Blizzard does phasing better than ANYONE and it still sucks to experience it. So I just feel that any investment in that technology would be detrimental to game.
    kanochi likes this.
  15. Kluzu

Kluzu Cupcake

I feel that exact same way.. except i did enjoy WAR's zones still due to how they were designed and since i was on a pvp server.

I never liked WoW no matter how hard my friends tried to keep me interested in it.. but after this point in my GW2 play time, i actually miss the zones.. the loading screens and funneled off zones destroy it for me. Especially since there's no world pvp mixed with pve, but that's a different topic.

And on the note of backtracking, I'm 99% positive that it'll only be instanced for the first few weeks of release.
    kanochi likes this.
  16. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

There's nothing worst than loading screens moving zone to zone. It makes you feel disconnected from the game.
    kanochi likes this.
  17. kanochi

kanochi Cupcake-About-Town

Totally agree, really don't like the loading screen, I would like everything open with the exception of the usual stuff. = P Dungeons, Raids, etc. ^^
  18. Red_Death01

Red_Death01 Cupcake-About-Town

Its Open. This isn't NDA or anything because you can see it in both interview videos of gameplay as well as the fact that they have come out and said that the world is designed for flying mounts. This means that the zones have to be open and support several different entering and exits. There won't be giant invisible walls that prevent fun. I also think the fact on how they worded the stress test that it is open since if they had instanced zones a stress test isn't that hard- being that you could section of huge numbers of players in an area.

Thats just my guess though... For all I know we didn't truly see the edge of a zone/map and that they have only made each map account for flying until you attempt to exit the zone... I personally don't like instanced areas as it brings delay and makes the world feel less alive/large.