1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Woah. Woah Woah. Everyone just hold on a second.

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Crescent, May 28, 2013.

1. Crescent

Crescent New Cupcake

Why in the heck are people getting so hyped for this game?

Given the amount of MMO's that have promised the world and have clawed their way out of development to see the light of day, what makes this one different? I'm not saying Arenanet or Bioware are bad developers, but didn't Guild Wars 2, and for that matter TOR, lose community interest in what seemed like a few months? I do not want to go into the myriad reasons why those games lost rep. Comparing those two (just examples of every MMO that wasn't what we expected it to be, i'm looking at you Neverwinter.) to Wildstar, you may just come up with a laundry list of everything those games did wrong, but that Wildstar promises to do right. Sure, they're promising challenging endgame. A few design choices have me worried on that aspect already. The first being those "hurr durr i don't have reflexes" telegraphs, and the second being the decidedly non-threatening portrayal of enemies...which is pretty much due to the art style. But, you know what? I played WoW for a decade before RL caught up with me in a big way. I can handle cartoony art.

However, those two points are just blemishes on my brain...these are things that may change because beta. Telegraphing may be toggled at a future point...or eliminated altogether for hardmode raids. Beta is beta. The art style may be offset by some legit cold hard sci-fi writing.

What I don't understand, is why, given the recent stream of craptastic MMO's (fiscal earnings and longevity wise, not personal playstyle wise) and promised "WoW Killers", are you guys jumping on the hype train?

Can you let me in on your secret? Can you show me the way? To be honest with you all...now that my personal life is sorted, i'm looking for a new fix. A new sink for my time. However, I am ever so afraid to jump on that hype train, and let it carry me to happy oblivion. I think i'll give this one the six month test to see if it's still kicking before I go ahead and jump in.

Just food for thought from a traumatized MMO gamer.
    Aheadache and Eliat_kuni like this.
  2. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

I would say I'm just as excited as I am cautious. I see the formula with Wildstar emulating the great aspects of WoW on top of adding their own, which a lot of the recent MMOs have not been doing. That said though, there's a lot of legitimate concerns out there and many of them cannot be addressed by simply receiving press releases and information from beta. The only way we'll TRULY see if this game can survive the birth before the MMO community decides to abort it.

You're wise to be wary of this game. I am too. I'm worried about whether or not 40 mans will work in this day and age. I'm worried that LAS will make the game seem too narrow, simple, boring, and imbalanced to be worth playing. I'm worried that PvP won't be properly calibrated and that the content won't be adequately balanced. I have many worries about this game, but I don't show it on these forums much because the discussions here are more about how we want features to work or how we like them, but we simply don't know enough about the game to really dig into what could be serious, game breaking issues.

The best way to ditch hype would be to avoid forums and only dig into the details of this game after the release date is announced. Oh, and sign up for beta so you can see the game for yourself. :)
  3. Cottonspore

Cottonspore Cupcake-About-Town

The art style is entirely subjective. I was put off at first too, especially by the goofiness, but I came around. One has to accept that Wildstar's universe is not an overtly menacing one, though there are undertones. Enemies really aren't intimidating, it's true - on the other hand, they are just chock full of personality and a sense of character like no other MMO mob I've ever seen. But all in all, this setting obviously isn't going for cold, hard, realistic worldbuilding. It's very tongue-in-cheek, and it reads like both a love letter to and a satire of the space opera genre. I wouldn't try to look at it from a darker direction than that, personally.

I wouldn't jump on the hype train if I were you, though. It's sort of an unpleasant ride when you know that it's going to be months and months before you reach your destination. Stay unhyped, take a healthy interest in the game as it nears launch, and you'll probably be less neurotic and less traumatized.
  4. Kleev

Kleev Cupcake-About-Town

It's obvious to most that have really looked into this game that it is much more promising than all of these other MMOs that have popped up. It looks like you've just scratched the surface on what this game is looking to offer. Keep searching for info (here, reddit, youtube) and I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for.
  5. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

1. because its a scifi mmo in a sea of fantasy
    2. because its not fantasy
    3. i mean what choice do i have
    4. it isn't fantasy
    5. also they've backed up their promises pretty well, at least the ones I care about (housing and wardrobe system)
    6. it isnt fantasy
  6. Inv1cted

Inv1cted Cupcake-About-Town

1. Telegraphs are not easy mode and they very much won't be turned off in HMs (As a progression raider I can tell you that plenty of people still die to voidzones in WoW in HMs), changing the shapes/effect when you get hit/rate at which they come out is a very good dynamic step away. White damage is also confirmed so its not like you wont ever get hit.

2. The cartoony graphics are to lower the barrier of entry for people playing on toasters, most casuals have toasters. The mobs also had to be tuned down in the bea recently because the testers were getting ripped in half so they're hardly nonthreatening.

3. They 're very much pushing the 'made by the devs who love MMOs' angle rather then the 'EA wants its share of the WoW money so Bioware make a WoW clone' deal. The devs also aren't hyping anything.

4. They aren't trying to make a WoW killer. They're also trying to do it right and not push out a half made game.

N.B. I personally feel (and I really trying not to sound like the 'WoW lost 10k subs/introduced lfr/gave casuals mah epics so it must being dying morons) for the first time in a long time WoW is consistently and rapidly losing subs at a pace where a good MMO has a chance of not being strangles under its monolithic shadow,
  7. Kethrym

Kethrym Well-Known Cupcake

I was promised Cake by Carbine. <---Holding you Orange guys and gals to that.

To be completely honest, this is my last hurrah. If this game doesn't deliver, I'm done. I'm tired of waiting for a game to not suck. It's been YEARS since I played something that kept my attention for longer than 3 months. After 13 years of MMO's, I've seen enough. I'm putting all my eggs into the Carbine basket. I'm All-In. If it stinks, I'm retiring.
    Haiku, Inky, Chooby and 13 others like this.
  8. Xlugon Pyro

Also, I could be wrong but I think there are other MMOs in development that are taking up the spotlight ATM. ESO and CU are a few that come to mind.
  9. Kethrym

Zero interest in either of those. For one it's Skyrim with Multiplayer, and two, CU is Mark Jacobs. No way am I touching anything made by him again.
  10. Xlugon Pyro

I'm just stating that Wildstar isn't receiving THAT much hype, although the games closest to launch will likely receive the lion's share of the hype for a time. I lost a lot of interest in ESO when raiding was declared to be out and that their PvP is heavily restricted. Like you said, ESO is just a multiplayer RPG from the looks of it.
    Kethrym likes this.
  11. Zapp Brannigan

Zapp Brannigan Cupcake-About-Town

Actually, despite the spaceships, WildStar seems to have its roots set firmly in fantasy to me.
  12. kiri

kiri Cupcake-About-Town

I'm hyped, but I've been burned so many times... ultimately the proof will be in the pudding. So much of the game looks absolutely amazing - the art, the attitude, the general mindset of the devs - at first it seemed like everything I could ever hope for in an MMO, but as new information comes out I've become a little more apprehensive.

I'm pretty worried that they are falling into the mmo-lobby-game trap that has turned me off from so many current games. If I wanted to play a x-realm lobby game, I would be playing wow. The LAS has me a little nervous as well, but I won't judge until I really see it in action at endgame.

I'm still really hopeful for this game to succeed, but deep down the realist in me is worried that it is just going to be more of the same.

I guess time will tell.. but if this is a bust, I give up on MMOs altogether.
  13. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

fine

ill still take space fantasy over western/eastern fantasy though

also it doesnt have realistic graphics
    Kethrym likes this.
  14. Kethrym

Sure, if you listen to the FFXIV fanboys they say that their game is going to take WoW's crown. After seeing the combat that is NOT going to be the case. I'm not being mean, I'm just drawing on years of experience to tell me it's not gonna cut the mustard for a large audience.
  15. Xlugon Pyro

I see a lot of the same for me too. I mean swords? In a sci-fi MMO? Jedi "swords" are a bit different but these things in Wildstar are just... swords. I like swords, but still!
  16. popober

popober Cupcake-About-Town

Well it's still fantasy, in it's most basic form, just not high-fantasy like so many other dregs. It still deals with magic, but it's more of a space-western, kinda similar to Star Wars what with all the Force mysticism.

I'm personally interested in the game not because of any promised gameplay or mechanics or whatnot, I've learned not to try to pray to hard for those and it's really plain impossible to create anything that's completely new and different yet also enjoyable. What got my interest was simply the humor, then from there the art style which gives my nostalgia, then finally the simple feel of the game.

While I personally prefer urban-fantasy, settings-wise, and I'm sick of all the other nonsense out there there, scifi or high-fantasy, the simple feel of the whole world of WildStar makes me feel comfortable and happy. Instead of being prepped to "save the world" or "fight this massive evil" every other game does out there, I feel like I'm in an old cartoon where, despite having the feel of an overarching story, things just happen. Funny things. I'm this soldier in the Exile army but instead of having serious drills and plans the higher-ups instead just tell us to "Go crazy." then let's me loose on Nexus.

TL;DR: Why am I hyped? The game seems plain fun. If not for the gameplay, then for the sheer feel it has.
    ruff_ethereal likes this.
  17. DrThreaded

DrThreaded Cupcake

See, the key is to not get hyped over anything unless you've tried it yourself and came to the conclusion that it is, in fact, worth hyping.

Which means I can't hype W* until open beta because I'm not lucky.
  18. SniperCT

SniperCT Cupcake-About-Town

Game seems fun. It has a sense of humor. I love the art.

And the movement and animations are the smoothest, cleanest I've seen since WoW itself. I admit. That movement devspeak video is what drew me in, followed quickly by the Paths videos.

Other games usually have serious problems with jerky animations or running animations that feel wrong...
    SiegaPlays likes this.
  19. Celtkhan

Celtkhan Well-Known Cupcake

Because I like Firefly.
    Haiku, Haoli, Drapetomania and 6 others like this.
  20. Pang

Pang New Cupcake

There is raiding in ESO actually. The whole "no raids" thing was just a misinterpretation of an admittedly poorly worded statement. So its fine to not care for the game but at least be informed and not give off false info about it.

As far as the OP goes, Why not? What else is there to do, if the game is good then we have our next MMO to play if it sucks then we'll just get back in line for the next one. Such is the life of a gamer.
  21. Xlugon Pyro

Not in the traditional sense, or at least not from what I've seen. Everywhere I looked I found nothing on raiding as I and many others understand raiding to be.

Besides, if people take what I say that seriously, the problem is them, not me. Just relax a bit, k? :)