1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Woah. Woah Woah. Everyone just hold on a second.

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Crescent, May 28, 2013.

1. Sawpaw

Sawpaw Cupcake-About-Town

I appreciate the sarcasm it amuses me, and yeah its way to peace and love right now, enjoy it while it lasts :)
  2. Kethrym

Kethrym Well-Known Cupcake

EHRMAGERD!!!FERNSERT!!!
  3. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

Honestly, I'm having a hard time imagining what kind of threads you want. I know this has been beaten into the ground before and you still didn't budge, but literally 60% of the threads in the general discussion are threads arguing over how crafting or pvp or raids or flying mounts are supposed to work. (seriously go find a thread or twelve about flying mounts) And a lot of people disagreeing with how Wildstar is handling it.

Like, I literally can not for the life of me figure out what you want. And, "enjoy it while it lasts", what's that supposed to mean? That the forum is going to eventually fill up with people who are making an effort to be as obtuse and obnoxious as possible because they have a chip on their shoulder and something to prove?

Because they're already here.
  4. Sawpaw

Sawpaw Cupcake-About-Town

Since when was it your job to figure out what I want? that's my job, but thanks for the sentiment...
  5. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

I haven't yet been able to put holes in the developers logic.

While in GW2, SWTOR, (didn't even bother to look at teso game based on popular ip to milk out the genre) i all could see it from miles away, if i can't spot a red flag in any of the design choices made so far with my insight in games, they pretty much convinced me.

Dialogue with developers don't alarm me either, so basically i see no reason to be concerned about the game outcome.
    Sonntam and Kethrym like this.
  6. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

/point
    /lol

You should never buy a CE or a ZOMGEPICHEROEOFTHENORTH PACK to any MMO, no matter how good you think it is, because the odds you will be wasting your money on a game you will play for a week tops because it turns out to be bad, are actually quite staggering. I only bought such a pack for Rift, only because it was 10$ more than the standard pack, and I did play that game for 6 months.

I'm still laughing at fools who bought tortanic CE for a 100$ or those who bought lifetime subs to the fail world.
    Kethrym likes this.
  7. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

Didn't bother reading the other replies, amazed it got 7 pages.

For me it's two base reasons. They seem very intent on bringing some challenging content back to MMOs. And I am soooo tired of WoW.

I like what they are sellin', not all of it mind you, but most. And as an MMORPG gamer I need a new world to lose myself in.
  8. Mat'hir Uth Gan

Mat'hir Uth Gan Cupcake-About-Town

I'm 50/50 on this game being good.

I like the developers, the humor, the focus on 40 man raids, and that they borrowed EQ2's housing. I also like the new modern action combat. And I like the limited action set like EQ used to have due to strategy. I like the emphasis on niche crafting. I love the path system idea. I'm glad they want the game hard, and I appreciate the focus on the holy trinity concept. So, there are some things here I know I'm going to like.

What I'm worried about is the focus on solo play. Every MMO that tried to be solo friendly had poor community and the game generally failed quickly. Even WoW, as it aged and became more solo friendly, started to fade. Soloability and cross server dungeon finders (toggable or not) also kill server community. When the game starts to get boring, community is what keeps you playing until the next expansion. They really spent a ton of time on solo play. That's bad design for an "MMO".

I also do NOT like the limited classes and races. EQ set the bar for these options years ago and then doubled up on it for EQ2. Same thing with player customization. And I disagree with how they are doing loot drops. I hate the idea of having to micromanage every single piece of gear looking for multiple mods. Just give me an uber drop like the Cloak of Flames. Actually getting it to drop can be hard as hell, but once I get it, my character becomes massively more powerful and even my playstyle changes. This focus on chips is going to be a nightmare.

I'm still on the fence in regards to crafting as well. If it's like EQ2 or Vanguard crafting, I'm sold. If it's like WoW or Rift crafting, that's going to suck. I love to craft. I don't want a dinky system.

If Wildstar turns out to be average, I'm ok. EQ3 will be out in the next year or so, and I'm fairly confident I'll like that since I loved the first two.
    Chuk likes this.
  9. Dysp

Dysp Cupcake-About-Town

Only read a few of the posts as this thread has had some rapid posting...

..getting hyped up about a game before launch is probably one of the best things about gaming. This is regardless if the game is actually great or not. It's a lot more fun to be excited about a game, thinking about the possibilities, rather than thinking a game will just suck. I don't think any game can match pre-launch hype imagination. Well, I know they cant. Imagination isn't limited by financial or technical limitations, while the launched product of any game will be. :p

On top of that, when you have developers that are enthusiastic about their game, it makes the pre-launch process even better.. and even better yet is when those enthusiastic devs reach out to the community and ask for and act upon community feedback.

Thirdly, housing.

Fourthly, warplots.

Fifthly, varying AI-NPC telegraphs & PvP telegraph combat.

Sixthly, W*'s humor & art/design style.. the videos thus far have been great & entertaining on their own.

And lastly, I love the concept of MMOs in general and want as many of them as possible to be great and successful. ..Even SWTOR & GW2 threw more ideas into "the pot".

edit: Oh yeah, n-thly, the possibility of 40 man raids.
    Outlaw and 9bit like this.
  10. Kauree

Kauree New Cupcake

I only read the first and last page, but figured I'd add my 2 cents.

For me, I like GW2 waay more than WoW. I enjoyed both games, but GW2 beat out WoW for the most part. That said, there are aspects of both games that I like, and WildStar seems to be taking all the good things from both games.

There is already a thread on this somewhere, but basically..
    GW: Dynamic events, action combat, telegraphs
    WoW: LFG system, trinity, raiding, mounts

It is funny cuz I saw some people mention that they are hyped because this isn't fantasy and this has a cool art style. For me, these are two of the biggest draw backs. I love the high fantasy style and prefer a more realistic style. These are not deal breakers for me, as I do like the style here as well.

I am also very excited about the LAS system and the x-server LFG tool. I am also happy that they are catering to solo crowd in addition to providing great group content.

Above all, I am most excited for Paths. This is something that I haven't really seen in another game and am every excited to try it out!

So far everything looks great on paper, and I'm naturally hyped!
  11. Paterk

Paterk Cupcake-About-Town

12. Nunchi

Nunchi Cupcake

The devs have their minds in the right place. This is new.
    Sonntam likes this.
  13. Kauree

Kauree New Cupcake

Sonntam likes this.
  14. eselle8

eselle8 Well-Known Cupcake

CU is Camelot Unchained. It's a mostly-sequel to Dark Age of Camelot funded on Kickstarter.
  15. Nitebreaker

Nitebreaker New Cupcake

You don't have to be mean :(. I liked the figure, and thought it was worth it. I was just saying I won't be doing it for this game.
  16. Aegon

Aegon Cupcake

There is definitely excitement for this game and for us long term disappointed MMOer's, cautious skepticism. What I do like so far is the developers personal interest in the community which isn't seen very often in a AAA MMO franchise. Personally I enjoy the cartoon-ish art style, it give its own stamp on this universe. The combat system is big change up from other MMO's and it will take the masses playing it to really see how its accepted. We can't really judge it fairly until we've been able to delve into it ourselves. The return of 40-man raids and how well it will be received after years of games making raids smaller and easier it yet to be seen, but a concern for me. I was a huge WoW classic raider and quickly fell out of WoW when they stopped making them. Those are just a few examples.

This game is promising a lot, can they deliever? I sure hope they can. Will I be mad if they don't, no because although I'm keeping my excitement high, I am leaving my expectation bar pretty low until the proof is in the pudding.
    Sonntam likes this.
  17. keith-stone

keith-stone New Cupcake

I hyped for the following reasons:

- It looks cool. It reminds me of a cartoon I would watch as a kid (who am I kidding I would still watch it). Not anyone in particular, just the style of it reminds so much of the kind of shows that I would have loved to watch.

- This would be my second MMO. SWTOR was my first (go ahead make your jokes) so I'm in no way burned out on some of the more common MMO things that other people are.

- They are balancing the classes around PvP and then tuning the PvE encounters around that balance. This at least in my opinion is genius.

- I'm not worried about the LAS. From what I understand about the Milestones these will even out the limited amount of abilities. Off the top of my head I remember one that gave a damage mitigation buff after rolling. So they will modify existing abilities/mechanics to expand on your skill set. If they can make 7 + 2 abilities work as well as 20+ by augmenting them as you level depending on when/how/where(positional) you use them that's fine with me.

I totally get the whole "Don't get too hyped it'll just be disappointing" thing. But I am excited for this game. I get excited over games. I'm a gamer, it's what I do. If it turns out to be bad I'll just get excited over the next one. I hear Dice may be developing a new Battlefront after all...
  18. _decayed

_decayed New Cupcake

I agree. This is pretty much the last shot for me with MMOs, especially now since we won't see Titan for at least another three years. If Wildstar is no good, then I too am moving on, and it's not likely I will be back.

I'm not getting overly hyped at Wildstar. I do think it has potential, and I want to see it succeed. I am just not getting worked up only to possibly be majorly let down again.
    Sonntam and Kethrym like this.
  19. Kethrym

Kethrym Well-Known Cupcake

I had no idea so many people were in the same boat as me. I figured I'd be a small minority, I guess I was wrong.
  20. Impaler

Impaler Cupcake

I am on the hype train because everything I have seen or read about Wildstar just makes it seem like the MMO I have been waiting for since WoW lost my interest. I have been playing TERA for 6 months and I love the combat and graphics, but that's really the only thing keeping me there because end game is just a shallow grind fest.

I also love how Carbine is active on these forums and really seem to be MMO players and lovers making an MMO they would want to play themselves and not a software company trying to create cash grabs.

Its been a long time since I watched gameplay footage from an upcoming MMO and been in awe at the art style and animations. I love housing and it seems Carbine will be the first to get it right.

I just love everything about the game that I have seen so far. I was on GW2 hype train as well, but I always had this feeling in the back of my mind that I would not like it and of course that was true after about 40 levels. I haven't felt that way about Wildstar at all.

I love the humor, the Devs are great and I just get this feeling that Wildstar is where I am supposed to be and stay at for a very long time.
    Sonntam likes this.