1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

WoD more of a threat than W* MIGHT think...?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Spyguy, Jan 3, 2014.

?

WoD a Threat?

1. WoD is huge threat.

13.4%
  2. Might be a problem.

18.9%
  3. Not a threat at all.

36.2%
  4. W* is well aware of this.

31.5%
  1. Spyguy

Spyguy Cupcake

I was a huge wow fan for many years. A lot of great memories I must say. I quit about a year ago cause I felt like the game was dying (as many others shared the same opinion).

BUT..

After watching more videos on the upcoming wow expansion WoD, I have seen a lot of supportive feedback from current wow players, and ones that have quit...More than I expected. MANY saying this is going to bring them back to the game. I mean player housing, new levels, art style upgrade ect.

So is this going to be a bigger problem for W* if they release around the same time as WoD expansion? Or no?

(I don't think ESO is going to be a threat because from what ive seen, they're going for more of a different crowd)
  2. Destian

Destian Cupcake-About-Town

I'm a WoW player who is happy to be leaving WoW because of WoD.

When I realized that the two things in WoD I was most interested in were upgraded models and the toy box, the fact that maybe it's not going to be the best expansion sunk in.

Also, the story is just horrendous. So Garrosh jumps through Dr. Evil's time warp machine and yet he doesn't affect the present because...other dimensions?

So we're going back in time, except we aren't, and we're fighting a bunch of orcs that have been dead for a hundred years or so because Blizzard decided to drag out the expansions a bit longer. Seriously, at least MoP had the black prince's storyline going on throughout the expansion, a storyline that spoke of the return of the burning legion (which might actually be interesting).

But no, instead, we're going to kill a bunch of dead lore characters because someone at Bliz has a massive hardon for orcs and very little concern for plot continuity.

So yeah, not worried about WoD.

I also feel like I hit the personal skill ceiling in WoW, or at least that pushing it harder wasn't going to be much fun. I want a game in which skill matters. I want superior reflexes and strategy to mean something.

I LOVED Tera's boss battles because, if you were good enough, you could SOLO bosses meant for parties of 5 people, and you felt like a <REDACTED>ing rockstar when you pulled it off.

I want an MMO in which skill matters that much again, and I'm hoping WS can deliver on that front.
  3. Spyguy

Spyguy Cupcake

Sounds like WS is the game for you then!
  4. Destian

I'm holding out until the beta to pass judgement.

There are a few things I'm leery on, but it SEEMS pretty solid.
  5. Spyguy

Spyguy Cupcake

Im curious on what you are leery on if you don't mind elaborating a little.
  6. Dargenus

Dargenus Cupcake-About-Town

That depends on entirely in which direction W* plans to go. Which has been my concern for a while, and why I said what I said in a lot of these threads.

The problem is that people look at WoW, having 7 million players, and think the next game, such as WildStar, should take those players. Well, I don't think that's a good idea. WoW is a very specific style of game right now. It's not what it used to be. It's a hyper-casual game designed for people who want to quickly hit the level cap and run raids. It's completely hassle free, has nearly no sinks of any sort, and is overloaded with all sorts of random content. It requires very little skill for most of the game, and due to that, is a very rushed game, mostly for people who have 30 minutes to play and must have everything right now.

That audience is completely useless to WildStar. Everyone who is playing that game already has a game to play. And good luck beating WoW at accessibility and apathy. WoD will be more of the same. I see nothing in WoD that indicates the game will be slowed down or made more challenging. Instead, they'll be giving you a free level 90.

The invisible section of players is that of former WoW, people who are looking for a high quality themepark game, but one with some degree of challenge and that still resembles a world more than an amusement park. These people bounced between older iterations of WoW, Rift, SW:TOR, FFXIV, whatever else was there. WoD is useless to these people, they would already be playing WoW if they liked it, and they won't for the reasons I mentioned above. Most "WoW players that quit" that you are talking about are going to be Cataclysm or MoP era WoW players than Vanilla or TBC players who have quit a long time ago.

This invisible group of people who have nothing to play but over-casualized and low-quality F2P titles are currently without a game. WildStar should, by all accounts, be aiming at them. There's a lot of them, and they are not too difficult to satisfy. Hence the WoW 2.0. Vanilla/TBC WoW 2.0.

So it's going to depend on where WS decides to go. The way they currently seem to be going, and if they adapt Trion's scheme of solid updates every month, and if they do not detract from their vision, I think they will be fine. If they make the game really rushed and easy, if there's nothing worthwhile to do whether at pre-max or post-max, and everything feels forced and on rails, they will merge into current WoW's territory and Blizzard won't even need WoD to crush them.

Tbh, I think ESO is far more relevant to W* than WoW ever will be, especially if we're talking release times. Over time, I think ESO will become less relevant.
    Roadblock, Ico, Kidney and 6 others like this.
  7. Spyguy

Spyguy Cupcake

Well said.
  8. TuxedoMask

TuxedoMask Cupcake

The Moon, or Outerspace but sometimes Earth
    I'm still playing WoW and I have to say that I have noticed many people are saying (or hoping) that WoD is going to be good, even players that have quit are excited about the Xpac.
    WoW is still the big dawg in the MMO world and in my opinion it would be extremely arrogant to dismiss WoW as "not a threat" to Wildstar.
    If Wildstar happens to release around the time of WoD or if Blizzard stays with it's Aug-Sep trend of rollouts then it could be a problem if Wildstar releases in the Apr-Jun time frame.
    Eldergame for Wildstar is going to make or break the game imo, and even more pressure to have a great and challenging Eldergame if it (Wildstar) releases first.
  9. Diagas

Diagas Cupcake

I think WoD will make WoW a contender against W*. But the beauty is that W* will be an entirely new game to explore whereas WoD is only an expansion. If W* delivers an excellent, full game including a competitive endgame, I think it'll hold its own when WoD is released.

As a consumer of both, I've yet to see a hook from Blizzard that can match Carbine's promises. There's this other mantra that speaks to me as well that WoW is too polished now, whereas W* will be fresh and WILL have mistakes. It's fun to live through the development of a game, because from WoW experience the memories of things that have been patched over are some of my favorites.
    Jake, Spyguy and TuxedoMask like this.
  10. Gunghoe

Gunghoe Cupcake-About-Town

I could care less I want more action more mobile based combat than hitting a button at the right time more stationary type combat with locked on abilities because of old school restrictions.
  11. Kytty

Kytty Cupcake-About-Town

TBH I think you are comparing Apples with oranges. Sure they are both fruit but they are very different in composition and taste.

We really wont be able to say who is a threat to who (If anyone is to anyone) until Wildstar (and ESO and EQN) is released as final product. I personally dont believe it has been W*'s aim to "stealzors all the WoW playerzz". From what I have read in interviews and seen in videos etc. Their aim seems to be. Create a gorgeous fun challenging game that can hold its own and develop its own fan base.

As a Vanilla WoW player who has tried all the expansions (each one holding my interest for less time thatn the one before it) This expac wont be my "omg I have to play WoW again". Dargenus and Destian kinda laid it out best for my perspective
    Dargenus likes this.
  12. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

I can't help to feel that people will once again get their hopes up too high for WoD, just to get disappointed once again.

Although I must say that timing will be key for WS in their release. But then again the release date is something EVERY game should watch for.
  13. Cortinian

Cortinian New Cupcake

I only played wow from Cata onwards, stopped playing about 6 months into MoP.

For me the MAIN selling point of W* is I can start a new story, and never feel like im catching up or behind the times when it comes to content.
    Dargenus likes this.
  14. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

I think it would be pretty foolish to think that WoD's launch later this year won't effect Wildstar. The question to ask is "will Wildstar be compelling enough to hold on to it's players, or will WoD drag many of them back to WoW?" It is no secret that Carbine is after those displaced MMO players that may be tired of their current game of choice and are looking for something new. Many of those players will be ex-WoW players and Wildstar has quite the task ahead of it to not only attract those players, but to keep them engaged and interested in their MMO more than what they used to play. Over the past decade it's been a pretty solid trend that new xpacs for WoW tend to draw a lot of players back to the game, and if the timing is right greatly exacerbate subscription declines for newer releases, Wrath of the Lich King launched a few months after WAR for instance and didn't do that game any favors.

As far as actual offerings in WoD, there are some things that I find interesting and others I could care less about. I've been playing WoW since 2004 and what brings me back after a few months or a few years off differs from what will bring other people back and so on. I think that the new player models will definitely help to shore up the graphics gap that WoW has will some of it's competitors and will make the difference for some people. A return to more "warcraft-esque" themes and locations as opposed to new things like Pandaria and the various elemental planes of Cataclysm may also prove enticing for some people. Most importantly however WoW is a massive social network in it's own right and a single person resubbing often has a cascade effect of drawing in countless more people because everyone wants to play with friends, it's happened to me quite a few times.

TL;DR - WoD will have an effect on Wildstar since new xpacs for WoW always draw people back regardless. How big of an effect will really depend more on Wildstar's ability to retain players than what fancy new things Blizzard offers with the new expansion.
  15. Destian

I'm primarily concerned with deflection (a RNG-dependent evasion) being present in a skillshot-based game. I'm not sure why we're lining up shots and tracking our opponents to hit them if we still have a chance to miss anyway. Seems redundant.

Beyond that, I've heard/seen in enough streams that class balance is a bit off right now, but it's still beta so that doesn't concern me as much.

There's also the fact that mobs have an autoattack that always hits in melee (white damage) which, again, not sure about why they'd have such a thing in an action-combat game.

Tera's combat system was 100% action based: Every attack was aimed and could miss, even those of enemies (and if Tera's endgame wasn't <REDACTED>, I'd probably still play it). It seems like WS has more of a hybrid system where there are skillshots but at the same time, there are also a number of systems that seem to fit better in RNG-based MMOs like WoW.
  16. Cogburn

Cogburn Cupcake-About-Town

I think WildStar has the potential to go toe-to-toe with WoW and fnally give them enough competition to make both games better. I only hope Carbine can follow through with their vision for the game and get it super polished by launch.
    Dargenus likes this.
  17. Kihra

Kihra Cupcake

I think WildStar will do fine as long as they make a compelling endgame. In other words, I think whether they succeed or fail will be up to them. Other games will only lure people back if WildStar drops the ball.

If you look at Star Wars The Old Republic, for example, they attracted a huge number of players initially. They actually had a large number of players hooked on that game until people figured out what a mess the endgame was.
    Dargenus likes this.
  18. Chrilin

Chrilin Cupcake-About-Town

Will WoD breathe life back into WoW? Temporarily.

Is it a threat to Carbine? Sure, if WildStar cannot retain a player base large enough to support growth. All of the other IP's are a potential threat in the sense that they can "steal" potential players/subs.

WildStar's exposure outside of fan forums or on gaming sites is low. It's a relatively unknown IP in the general community. That's my main concern. Half of my guild doesn't know about WildStar and the half that does know is because I told them. Even a known (and wildly popular) IP is not enough though. Look at SWTOR.

I agree end-game and polish are one of the keys to WildStar's potential success.

I would add to that by saying having plenty to do outside of raiding and PvP is important as well. Finding a way to expose more of the general population of mmo players to WildStar is also critical.

Say what you want about it but, that's my opinion.
    deachem and Dargenus like this.
  19. Sapien

Sapien Cupcake-About-Town

As long as Carbine holding on to their origin thougt, about doin Wildstar "hardcore" and above all, stay "hardcore" ..Carbine dont have any threat what so ever from any MMO untill Blizzard, Arenanet etc etc, understand that MMO's with challenges is a good thing and begin to make their MMO's more "hardcore". :eek:
  20. Quietus

Quietus Cupcake

Bah... I thought this thread would be about the World of Darkness MMO :(
    Destian and teh_ninjaneer like this.