1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

WoD more of a threat than W* MIGHT think...?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Spyguy, Jan 3, 2014.

?

WoD a Threat?

1. WoD is huge threat.

13.4%
  2. Might be a problem.

18.9%
  3. Not a threat at all.

36.2%
  4. W* is well aware of this.

31.5%
  1. Sandmoth

Sandmoth New Cupcake

To me the OP comes off as a Warcraft fanboy that is afraid Wildstar is going to kill wow. And he has good reason to be afraid. Honestly, I am sick to death of wow being on top, and I can not wait to see it fall.

The wow age is over OP; wow is a dated and declining game that can no longer compete with new games and tech. Stick a a fork in it dude because it is done!
  2. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

That is a consequence of design. There is a reason why growth is abnormal and its not "Most mmo's are terrible".
  3. Chrilin

Chrilin Cupcake-About-Town

I'm hoping for a reversal in the trend that we have seen in the last several years of mmo launches (new IP's, Xpacs, or new business model implementation).

WildStar has the possibility to buck the trend. It's not WoW or SWTOR in the sense that it's a relatively unknown IP. If it's a really good game there is the possibility that it will start off slow and build exponentially.

IMO, if we see this trend let's say six months to a year after launch then I think WildStar could be a big mmo.
  4. Spyguy

Spyguy Cupcake

Because I said I enjoyed the game a year ago, that makes me a fanboy?
  5. Blue Tunic Man

Blue Tunic Man Cupcake-About-Town

All I know is that I'm jealous about how World of Warcraft can successfully triple dip with ever increasing micro transactions, sub, and box and their fans loyally defend it to the death as well as claiming to be logical.

I knew it was going to get to the point where they're finally defending exp boosters, it'll only increase from there in the near future I reckon. It ties in with the topic because WoW has some of the most loyal fanbases out there and it doesn't matter what someone pushes forward. Unless it's the second coming messiah of godjesusbearpig it's not going to tear them away. They'll -always- find something to pick at and you can't change the minds of someone hellbent on one mindset.

Honestly, I notice these types of talks crop up in ever new MMO and these responses are eerily similar as if we were just playing one elaborate mad lib game. All you can hope, as the gamer, is that the game is compelling enough for you and that it's good enough to take in other people that may be disgruntled with their game or looking for greener pastures.
    Dargenus likes this.
  6. Roadblock

Roadblock Cupcake-About-Town

EXP boosts are so 'last year' for WoW... they're currently running surveys about selling "last exp max level premades" on the item-shop.
    That means you'd be able to buy a premade of any class to lvl90 once WoD ships, and yes there are customers fanatically defending that as well.
  7. Mondasin

Mondasin Cupcake-About-Town

I'm not going to say I support them selling level 90 premade toons, but I will say that they've had premade character templates since at least AQ in vanilla. I am also of the opinion that all of the current WoW players are from the Late TBC/early Wrath era, because I can't stomach what they've done to paladins, or the whoring out for money they are doing with both an ingame shop(that exists on the PBE as well) and the sub model.
  8. Roadblock

Roadblock Cupcake-About-Town

I know that's what makes this borderline scam, they've had all these paid services rotating randomly on the PTRs client character selection screen as buttons that you can press and immediately get a faction / race / full char customization applied, or a premade created for ages, there's zero development time expended, they just flip a switch and sell hot air for millions (cumulative).
    Blizzard is the best at exploiting brand loyalty for every cent it's worth and they have one of consumerism's ailments to aid them, that misconception that price equals value and the more something costs the more it's worth, there's a fraction of players that not only welcome the selling of high level chars but push for jacking the price as high as possible.

Anyway, none of this is related to the OP I guess apart from Blizz using their massive installed base to make inroads for such predatory business practices for other companies, some of which will overextend trying to milk their playerbase before even securing it and consequently crash and burn.
    Livnthedream likes this.
  9. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

I don't get that, I mean making the price high would imply some sort of exclusivity, what's exclusive about having a level 90....or 3? ( people are leveling in 3 days, so that is supposed to be worth paying super high prices? )
  10. Alex F

Alex F Cupcake

So liking WoW makes you a fanboy? How does that work?

Anyway, while WoW is old, it's not outdated. Their old engine supports a lot more stuff than engines used by newer MMOs. I don't know if WoW is done, it does not seem to be, sure it's losing subs, but it still has more than several MMOs combined.

Don't pretend WoW is dying just cause you really want it to die. It still has enough people to give Blizzard a profit that many other MMO developers dream about.

And honestly, WoW's level of quality forces the other games to strive to raise to that level and thensome. So yeah, a game that will inevitably "beat" WoW will have a level of quality people will flock to.
  11. Merganser

Merganser New Cupcake

I'm guessing for the same reason that many of the other character services have high prices: to prevent it from being used commonly/casually. Bear in mind the reason that they are looking at that option is that people would be able to do something similar using multiple accounts and copies of the game anyway, so this way cuts out the complications.

Whether Blizzard actually make the exp boosts available to the general market (since AFAIK they are Asia-only) they are hardly the only MMO to have a store running alongside subscription options.
  12. Lori

Lori New Cupcake

I'm a Blizzard fan. I'll play WoD for a month to see the story and maybe do some PvP, but it's endgame and social ties that keep folks around longer than that. WoW ruined their endgame for me with crossrealm features and LFR, and most of my old friends there stopped playing ages ago.
    Blue Tunic Man likes this.
  13. Aervyper

Aervyper New Cupcake

I always will maintain that if Wildstar wants to be in the MMO market that WoW will always be a huge threat. I recently left WoW but if your like me and have talked to people about how amazing Wildstar is it's a hard fight to convince people. WoW subs are strapped onto the train. They chime off that Wildstar is another WoW killer and they know what's happened to all the WoW killers. Wildstar has housing it's going to be awesome. So what i'm going to wait for WoW garrisons. Whatever you believe i promise you that Blizzard will either release open WoD beta or WoD within 2 weeks of Wildstar release. It's going to be a war i'm on the side of Wildstar i believe in Wildstar but WoD scares the hell out of me cause it's bringing back BC which almost everyone agrees was the best that WoW ever was.
  14. coreymj78

coreymj78 Cupcake-About-Town

Wow, I had to look twice to make sure I wasn't the one who wrote this post. I am also an oldschool, vanilla Wow player who enjoyed the more traditional MMO's with traditional mechanics, yet one who is keen on the newer, more skill based, action combat seen in Tera and other games. I also bounced between Rift and SWTOR (mostly played Rift) and even though I am currently leveling a Hunter in Wow, I find little enjoyment in it. It's not that oldschool gamers like me have to have tab targeting to call it a traditional MMO, It's more about whether the game requires actual skill to play or not.

I am simply biding my time till WS launches or I get a beta invite. But I lost what enjoyment I found in MMO games a long time ago, just as you describe. I feel that Wow has become extremely casual and is probably the least skill based game out there. It's almost gotten to the point where I'd rather play TF2 instead of Wow. It's just that I always seem to gravitate towards MMO's regardless.

I guess I will always be an MMO gamer, it's just that currently there are none that interest me. Rift went F2P, but is loosing it's oldschool community as well. I always feel like I'm trying to chase the old vanilla experience I had back in the early days of Wow raiding and even the days of my old Rift raiding guild, which were a blast. I have yet to experience anything of the sort. It sure seems like Carbine is attempting to draw players like me back into WS and hopefully keep us there, giving us the old vanilla experience once again. Let's hope they can acheive this and we can regain what was lost.
    Sapien and Blue Tunic Man like this.
  15. coreymj78

coreymj78 Cupcake-About-Town

No, Wow is not dying at all. And yes, Wow has many subs and will always retain it's faithful following of players. It's just that it's only a certain type of player. As was mentioned, all the oldschool MMO gamers from vanilla have left, leaving behind a different community, one that old farts like me aren't part of. I actually still play Wow, but only out of sheer boredom. I am no longer part of any raiding guilds like back in the day. It's just a different flavor now. A flavor that is clearly not vanilla. And personally, I don't think any game can really keep that "vanilla" feeling forever.
  16. Alex F

Alex F Cupcake

Or maybe you are just burned out. And yeah, vanilla players seem to enjoy reminding everyone of their veteran status every chance they get --- that being said ---I'm also a Vanilla player and honestly I found the game improved over the years. Frankly I didn't like Vanilla simply because it was just a huge damn waste of time in PVE and PVP (as in it took too much time to do any of them). But like you, I gave it up simply because it brings me no joy to play it since I've been at it for almost a decade. And that certain type of players you are talking about does not exist. The game is still populated by several vanilla players I know of, so not ALL of them left plus the newer and older players.

WoW is an easy game to get into because the leveling process is smooth enough and the endgame keeps your hads full when you reach it. Wildstar seems to get it. I hope they bring it to the next level instead of failing right into that graveyard of "almost" MMOs that were supposed to rise above WoW.
  17. Merganser

Merganser New Cupcake

I'm not sure about evidence to the contrary, but if you're going to argue that point, you should probably start by proving the existence of souls and that commercial organisations are capable of actually ingesting them. :whistling:

Pointing out that WoW isn't an inherently bad game does not exactly make one a special snowflake. It might be relatively unusual for a game forum, but that is mostly down to human psychology.
  18. Rentah

Rentah Cupcake-About-Town

WoD wont be a threat. The first month it will ofc. Its like every WoW expansion. People pee their pants and realise a month later that the pee has dried up and they smell like <REDACTED> playing it. They quit and never look back. Just like EVERY expansion :)
  19. Dargenus

Dargenus Cupcake-About-Town

Or maybe he isn't. Let's not try to pretend that the games didn't change. I mean, you obviously never really liked Vanilla that much to begin with, so you are a different person. I like that everything in Vanilla takes time. You get less level rushers, people spend more time in most places, little advantages start to matter.
  20. Dargenus

Dargenus Cupcake-About-Town

Nobody is pretending anything. WoW has been steadily losing subscribers. If a steady loss of subscribers is not 'dying', I don't know what is. It's not about profit, you can turn a profit with anything. Even then, your argument is incorrect because larger companies expect larger revenue, and a percentage loss for a company can be far worse than a sub loss for a smaller studio. I don't know what is going on with Blizzard financially these days, but I think WoW is dwindling down because they basically kicked the majority of their old fans and their newly acquired fanbase is much less stable. They are losing subs. That is a fact. How long will it take until WoW is shut down/doesn't bring profit is debatable and irrelevant. WAR stuck around for forever and it is a poorly launched terrible game. You don't need a good game for it to bring profit or stick around, MMO's tend to stick around for a while.

As for the war comment, lol. Again, assuming that all MMO players are playing WoW. Those are the only people in the MMO universe. Yeah, if you start a war with WoW, you're gonna lose. Don't start a war with WoW. Get your own players.

As for quality, I'll agree that quality is very important, but that is a given. It should be obvious to any developer that customers don't like low quality. I don't get how a lot of these AAA products (SW:TOR, Rift, WAR, etc.) think they can get away with shoddy animations, weak lore, bad art, bad bugs, bad optimization, poor design, poor cohesion, badly designed and limited zones, and basically going backwards and unable to even hit the original WoW release in quality and content. It's mindboggling.

But that doesn't help your argument. You don't need to be modern WoW and approach that level of quality. You just need to be at Vanilla WoW. In fact, most of current WoW's quality rests on the foundation of Vanilla WoW. Already, WildStar has some work to do in that department. Two starting zones per faction? WoW (Vanilla) had 3. Tirisfal-Mulgore-Durotar. Teldrasil-Forest-Durough.

Yes, it's a war. With the game of old. A very easy war to win.