1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Wondering about telegraphs

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by DrakeWurrum, Feb 24, 2014.

1. DrakeWurrum

DrakeWurrum New Cupcake

So I have been pretty much devouring Wildstar information anywhere I can find it since I heard about it... only a few months ago. I keep reading and hearing about telegraphs, but I'm still pretty fuzzy on just how they will show things.

I get that red areas will show for places that are dangerous to stand in (BIG THUNDERBOLT COMING GET AWAY!). But what about helpful areas, and not just from allies?
    Will bosses sometimes drop areas that are beneficial to stand in? Like a swirling pool of power - you want to keep the boss out of it, but stand in it. Or maybe you want to stand in it... but not after the boss starts challenging a dangerous spell through it.

Or what about meteor-style damage? Where the boss deals a HUGE amount of damage to one person/area, but it's split among the number of people in it?

Are finer details like this yet known about telegraphs, outside the NDA? Because as a long-time former Heroic raider in WoW, I'd love to hear more details about how strategically involved telegraphs can get.

And my reason is simple: I'm used to moving out of fire. It's ingrained into my gaming DNA to avoid anything that looks too flashy, unless I know for sure it's safe to stand in. Which means that, after a while, for me, what I've seen of telegraphs so far won't feel very...fresh I guess? "Oh look, more red to get out of." Eventually, that stops being a challenge for you, and is more like breathing. You do it automatically without even giving thought to it. I know because that's how I'd gotten with raid mechanics in WoW - I would usually be the last guy standing during wipes, despite being just a Shaman. Hell, I may even turn telegraphs off at some point.

While I'm sure I'll thoroughly enjoy Wildstar, and hopefully I can get into it as much as I once got into WoW raiding in the past, I'd really like to know that fight mechanics in the higher-tier content are going to be.... truly a challenge, beyond just the raw damage numbers... and dodging void zones.
  2. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

3. Cananh

Cananh Cupcake

Youtube.

Search "wildstar gameplay".

Watch a few videos.

Keep in mind that telegraph transparency can be configured by players. In many videos they're too prominent for my tastes but in some you can see where players have toned them down to be visible enough to be useful without taking over the whole screen.
  4. MadMac

MadMac The Cupcake is a Lie

Looks like fun! I think they add tension to fights.
  5. DrakeWurrum

DrakeWurrum New Cupcake

I suppose it depends on how much the game artists telegraph in-game effects with actual animations, instead of 100% falling back onto the telegraphs. If the animations don't show enough information for where an effect will hit, then I will HAVE to leave it on. I do remember that one mod that was once outright required in WoW, back during Wrath, which made the game ridiculously easy - but then Blizz banned it. Basically would paint colors on parts of the game to telegraph things for you, and they didn't like that. Made H Putricide a joke.

Hrm. I guess telegraphs can only do so much. Then again, maybe the devs can come up with creative ways to telegraph that sort of thing. They aren't going to resort to flashing yellow text on the screen to tell you what to do, will they?

Really? I suppose that's to be somewhat expected, since Carbine is going out of their way to "train" the players from level 1. They might save more complex mechanics for higher up... or so I hope.

I guess I am just somewhat concerned about how involved fight mechanics will get. I want to worry about more besides just "This area is red, stay out of it."
    Obviously I've seen details involving interrupting the boss for certain dangerous spells, but that's only a second layer of complexity.
    Will there be red areas you DO want to stand in? Things like setting off traps on H Rag, or standing in the purple pools on H Malkorok. Or all stacking together in the red zone so the tank doesn't get one-shot.

I don't expect EVERYTHING to be known about how involved mechanics can get just out, outside of NDA at least, but I can't help but be hungry for more info.
  6. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

The extra complexity in WS in difference from WoW comes in the interaction between the healers and everyone else. If you keep walking they will not be able to keep you up.
    You have to walk into their telegraphs or walk towards them if you need heals.
    While in WoW you never really had to worry about this.
  7. DrakeWurrum

DrakeWurrum New Cupcake

True enough. I really only say it was "required" because raiding guilds would fall back on it - it was simply THAT big of a difference in making fights easy. When Blizz banned the mod, many raiders took a few weeks to re-adjust.
    I am still hoping that these things are telegraphed with more than... well, the telegraphs.

Well... not 100% true. Healing Rain, Spirit Link Totem, the Chakra stuff that HPriests have, PW: Barrier, Efflorescence. Admittedly it's not on the same level or intensity that I've seen from videos on youtube, but it's starting to creep into WoW over time.

As is, that is interesting to hear; if that's the case, the real complexity there is that most raiders aren't used to having to think about that. Were you around when RShaman first got Healing Rains? It was the first time ever that healers could place beneficial healing areas in WoW. It took a LONG time for people to realize how important it was to stand inside the blue circles, with many RShaman getting angry about it.
    I think over time that too should become second nature, once players have been trained to recognize it - but at least it'll keep you on your toes, so to speak.

I did notice that there's telegraphs with different and unique shapes at least. I saw something involving a level 15 dungeon.... can't remember the boss name, involved lightning. The telegraph involved standing near a chosen target (an eye of a storm let's say), with another telegraph to keep that target dodging.
    But, to me, that's still just "Stay out of the red stuff," really. Different shapes keep things from becoming boring for sure, but for me it all blurs together into "stay out of the fire" where I really don't care what it looks like. It's always confused me why raiders will do just fine avoiding void zones on one fight, only to completely fail to void zones in another fight... just because they look different.

It's hard to be specific. I just don't find "don't stand in fire" to be a challenge. I'm not saying Wildstar will be easy; I've heard plenty about how hard it WILL be, but well... if I am able to dodge roll out of stuff, and have plenty of mobility options from my class, I'm not gonna have too hard of a time avoiding red.
    There's plenty of fights in WoW where you DO want to stand in the damaging void zones - sometimes only one guy, sometimes a certain number. Sometimes it's only dangerous at a certain point, and otherwise you DO want to stand in it. Sometimes you need to coordinate your group to each stand in a different void zone, or a certain combination of void zones, to control what the boss does to you. Sometimes it's something where two players need to stand in separate red beams, or else massive damage is done to everybody. Sometimes it's something as simple as a mob is fixated on a certain player, and that one player needs to run from it, or it will explode. Sometimes it's as complicated as a handful of players in the raid group being linked so that everybody between them takes damage until they all stand on top of each other to break the link. What about adds that will heal the boss if it reaches him, and thus need to be burned down quickly?

I'm just thinking that telegraphs can only give so much information. So I'm afraid of either fights falling back completely on them mechanics-wise, or else that there end up being mechanics that simply don't get telegraphed because... well, how do you telegraph things like that?
    I'm fine with the latter. Raiders have been doing that for a decade or more, learning fights the hard way, and I'd love to see it again (dungeon journal spoils everything). It's just that Wildstar seems designed with telegraphs in mind, so it would be bad to suddenly have dangerous mechanics not being telegraphed.
  8. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

You won't always have the option of dodging out of things - it'll be a choice a lot of times (esp for the tank) - do my healers have enough mana/whatever to heal me through this? can I even make it out in time? and actually, many of times you might not be able to actually make it out of the telegraph and the healers will have to make sure people stay up. Or if you're a healer and in the same telegraph as the tank - Do I have enough time to get a heal off on the tank before getting the heck out of here?

From the stuff we've seen so far - it's been the easy training areas - and it's looking like the telegraphs are going off quicker and more often as you level up.
    DrakeWurrum likes this.
  9. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Were you around in Vanilla WoW?
  10. ImpactHound

ImpactHound Cupcake-About-Town

What I liked about Flame Wreath was that you actually could move while it is cast, even if you're in the circle... the problems arose from it not being cast on a single target, so sometimes they would overlap or appear with a player ON the line already, and them moving from that point triggered the blow-up. If people were situationally aware, you could move during Flame Wreath, but it sometimes made the bads think they could too, when it would kill them.

What a deceptively simple-yet-deep spell...
  11. RavenWind

RavenWind Well-Known Cupcake

Telegraphs will be in all sort of shapes, distances and timings. Some will even move around as you try to dodge them. Some even come in waves, such as an initial giant hammer that hits the ground in an Arc telegraph then "echoes" in ever increasing bands. Giant spiraling spokes (much longer than your dodge can get out of) that spin clockwise. Random branching effects that shoot out from a center point for 3 or 4 branches. The possibilities and combinations a near infinite. I think you will find they add a new level to combat.
  12. Bnol

Bnol Cupcake-About-Town

You will have to learn the fight mechanics for each boss, just like every other game. That circle telegraph for Boss X might be a meteor-type that you need to split damage, while a circle telegraph for Boss Y is near instant death that needs to be avoided. They can utilize any shape for telegraphs to give you the information you need for the encounter. Every mmorpg has telegraphs, but most have graphical based telegraphs (voidzones, rumbling earth) that cannot be tailored to player tastes, computer specs, or player limitations (e.g. color blindness). The fact that Wildstar uses a more universal and customizable system for providing you information does not mean it will be easier, nor does it limit the possible fight mechanics.
    DrakeWurrum and Kataryna like this.
  13. DrakeWurrum

DrakeWurrum New Cupcake

Well that's good to hear. I guess one way to explain WSO's telegraphs is to say... boss fights are much the same as in any other MMO, just with this telegraph system included as part of the design? Rather than the old "Here's a fancy animation, guess what it does and where it hits!" method. Not sure if I can say it better than that, but that's the gist of what I'm getting here.
    Does Carbine use both types of telegraphing? More to the point, would it be at all possible to use the graphical queues alone, or is the red color telegraphing too essential to turn off?

Not in vanilla, though I raided for a bit of BC, and most of Wrath, as well as all of Cata. I can't put my finger on it, but something about MoP felt off, and unlike most people, it wasn't the new race. Maybe that game felt too damn easy, even in Heroic raids, (with the "difficulty" being in finding a group/guild that actually could stay out of fire). Maybe I was just tired of the same old day-in-day-out raiding, or the guild pissed me off... hard to say what it was, but I didn't bother with MoP until very recently.

More along the lines of... wanting to confirm that it's still there. I have no doubt that WildStar is difficult. I've heard people say that even the devs had a hard time clearing dungeons, because they wanted the game to actually be hard, and they're perfectly fine with elitism in the game. I just know that what one person finds difficult may be easy as pie to another, so I was wondering exactly what sort of difficulty the game would really have. I wanted to be sure it was more than void zones and properly-timed interrupts (as an Enh Shaman, both of those are kinda raiding 101, and I come from the time when Enh players needed to try twice as hard to prove their worth). I wanted to see where the "difficult" is, perhaps, rather than something vague I heard from youtube video commentary/opinions. *shrug*
  14. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

You won't want to turn off the Telegraphs until you get a good grasp of what's going on - yes, in WildStar, there's the traditional "Telegraphing" of Bosses where they start an animation before the ability goes off. However Carbine can do much more complicated sizes/shapes/areas/moving/timing/etc if they can show you the red telegraphs. You can however change how brightly those telegraphs are shown, so you know they're there but they're not glaring bright red at you - that way it just goes to the back of your brain and it becomes automatic. instead of your brain shouting "HEY RED SPOT GET OUT!" it becomes "pst...Brain says red=bad=get out"
    DrakeWurrum and Extatica like this.
  15. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Aahhhh....so that's what I was doing wrong.....:oops: