1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

World Bosses

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Arkay, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Arkay

Arkay Cupcake

So, will World Bosses be relevant in some way? Will they be worth competing over? I find that they only really ever had true value in past MMO. I find that the modern 'World Boss' is a relatively boring waste of time with no real coveted reward.

I personally would love if there were World Bosses that were simply ferociously strong(Raid Level strength might be asking for much but I can dream) and were worth hunting. That are not common spawns. That are Worth PKing over.

I don't know how world bosses would work with whatever claiming system WS has in place or how difficult it would be to make some WB operate under different rules.

Basically, getting in to a guild war over some prized spawn when not inside a raid is always fun. Adds some good server rivalry/drama.
    Carebear Commander likes this.
  2. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Well seeing as you can use them in Warplots (mayby not all), I do see a lot of PvP'ers want them.

If they drop nice gear/marks etc. then the Raiders/PvE'ers will want them aswell.
    If they give achievements (which I think they'll do) then achievement whores would want to kill them aswell.
    If they drops plans/materials, then crafters would want to kill them aswell.

It all depends what kind of rewards will be giving by defeating them, and that we don't know yet. Seeing as we already got a wolrd boss in the first area's and seeing he's pretty darn strong, I don't think you'll have to worry about how ''weak'' they'll be :D
  3. FlamingRuby

FlamingRuby Cupcake-About-Town

I think Carbine will have 1 world boss per zone.That for me is more than enough.A really strong villain at the end of a zone is a reward rather than a boring killing blow!

The problem you address is present ONLY if the xp gap and rewards from questing/crafting is that powerful like World of Warcraft that even if they had world bosses it will be unworthy cause of the pace of leveling and heirlooms.

World bosses serve a purpose and that is not gear for me.Its the fun and the poke so you try harder and have a motivation for end game.With world bosses you just take a look on what the game is going to offer at end game.Is that good?OFC.Its freaking awesome:)

And please dont forget that games are not always about loot/crafting/achievements.Its about the fun and the road to victory!

PS.Totally agree with the disgusting cute Chua above me!
  4. AusterlitZ

AusterlitZ Well-Known Cupcake

Imagine factions murdering eachother waiting for a spawn :inlove:,dead chua bodies everywhere!

Related to the OP:I hope they will have really distinct drops,not stat wise,so you don't make them required for anything,but with some cool utilities on them,like an item that has an active ability that allows you to dismount an opponent,or one that randomly teleports a target anywhere in the world (imagine the greafing :))
  5. Arkay

Arkay Cupcake

It would indeed be nice if they had multiple incentives for different types of players to hunt.

World Bosses open the potential for so much 'content' IMO. It is so easy to implement as well. Guilds could be warring over a handful of bosses with infrequent spawns for quite a long time w/o getting bored. Especially if there is PvP involved in the encounters.

Edit@Auster. Yeah, it doesn't 'have' to be gear, like EX said. It could be anything that is desired enough to mobilize a guild.

It is my not so subtle ulterior motive for the most part. World Bosses actually add further incentive to world PvP.
  6. Mykor

Mykor Cupcake-About-Town

When done correctly world bosses become an interesting 'meeting place' for both factions..... Which in turn, opens the door to some great world PVP.
    But they need to find a way where we aren't frustrated at every pull because of one grievous player.
  7. Nicodemus

Nicodemus Well-Known Cupcake

I also like world bosses when they cut off who can join after a fight has started. ala a eldan cage burst from the ground after fight has been picked. While I wouldn't like it for all the bosses because of the Faction PVP that comes with it. it tones down the zergy-ness of some fights.
  8. Malorak

Malorak Cupcake-About-Town

100% agree'd.
    Holy feces, I HATE World bosses in WoW. Seriously, all they are nowadays is nobrainish zerging down. I once did Nalak in its release patch with 15 people. It was 3 AM, we just zerged him down. He's supposed to be for 25people upwards. We all had preeetty bad gear.

Make World bosses A: Interesting, B: cut you off from just leaving C: unable to just rejoin the battle when you're dead. You're bound to watch the fight or get a battle-rezz or whatever.

Oh and D: Rewarding but not too rewarding. Good gear, but not too good gear. Interesting gadgets but not ONLY those. Maybe some PVP gear too, but give us some options as to what we can loot.

I as a - for example - pure pve tank can't really use a PVP item, if we're talking about the loot idea that WoW currently has (which I think is a good thing, by the way.)

I'd also love a patrolling boss if you don't kill him at his spawn - maybe a flying dragon you need to shoot down with a huge harpoon cannon first and that requires a repair-quest one person needs to have done

You could see the dragon flying over the zone, spitting telegraphs all over the place but he isn't actually fighting. He only comes down with that harpoon and is then wounded and starts off with 20% HP. Why? Because his HP pool is 5 times bigger than the one from 40 man raid bosses or other worldbosses. Would make him an insanely intimidating sight to behold.

...Or just make a flying beast that you can see while questing and intidimates you. I really like that idea, and if there even is a questline that builds up to this - it makes that all the better. Having a clear enemy with a distinct personality or just distinct looks is a good way to build up atmosphere.

^All of this is just an idea. Nothing I really WANT to happen.

Or just go all Fel reaver style - make a patrolling world boss (or atleast 5 man maxlevel group boss) patrol through a low to midlevel area - you'd always need to look out because if you pull him, he OHKO's you. And yes, I loved that in Hellfirepeninsula. Really made me stay on my toes and think just how strong the technology Illidan uses is. Made me feel inadequate and I actually kinda liked feeling so small in comparison to this thing.

All of this is optional. I just want fun, cool looking, huge, crazy yet fair, rewarding yet hard world bosses, aight? And fair does NOT mean hit the boss twice then go AFK and loot some of the best stuff in the next raid or even a tier set... Amirite, WoW?
  9. Arkay

Arkay Cupcake

Yeah, this is why if I understand you and Mal correctly, I brought up the claim system. The more intelligently designed WB that are created for competition and not a Public Event would need to prevent randoms from walking up and starting to attack while your group is mid combat. Even then you shouldn't really be able to have your entire guild fighting the boss, unless it actually is tuned to require that.

I like Mal's idea of a Giant WB casting aoe on the world and only having 20% HP that is still more than a Raid Boss after shooting it down. This would be pretty epic.

As for rewards, I'm not even sure gear is the best way to do it. You'd need to make the gear situationally amazing to encourage groups to spend time on it but that gear can be acquired in other types of content so it would kind of be redundant IMO. I like the idea of them dropping highly valued unique items though.

Edit: Or maybe even a component piece for the better equips. Or something that combines with your Raid Gear to give you an enhanced skill or something. Now that would be dope. "Where did you get that skill/why does your skill do x amount more damage/have this effect?"
    "Oh, killed that dragon you see flying around occasionally."
  10. Malorak

Malorak Cupcake-About-Town

I'd REALLY love crafting to be highly relevant. Just give every profession a "superitem" as I like to call them.
    i.E. a special type of metal for armorers, a special type of circuit for circuitcrafters (chip makers) and a special type of leather/cloth for those.

The twist: You can only get that stuff from really hard to do stuff regarding your craftmanship or - well - doing world bosses.

If crafting would be able to give you really good EQ for both PVE and PVP I'd really like that.

And I do like the idea of pretty much a crazy item. Reminds me of totems/relics etc. from WoW, where your skills would do something extra, specially catered to your class.

I'd love that. The warrior could get a "war trophy", the Esper could get ancient spirit relics, the spellslinger could get different different ammo belts (no ammunition refilling though. People grew tired of that.) and stalkers could...Uh...I don't know.

Just think of something. But there's alot of ways to actually make Worldbosses rewarding.
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  11. Ianpact

Ianpact Cupcake-About-Town

Can world bosses be used for that? I know I've seen quotes stating that raid and heroic bosses could but I can't recall one stating that world bosses would also be up for grabs. Not saying they aren't, I just didn't remember seeing it. Would probably be a really great thing for PvP'ers as you say, though. Then they wouldn't have to touch dirty PvE dungeons and instances. :p

That said, I do think there were would have to be a balance on difficulty. I don't see them doing a claiming thing with them as Carbine has already stated in questing you get credit for mobs if you meet a certain threshold of damage or support in killing something regardless if you are in party or not. I am just guessing but I think world boss will probably work the same. I mean, if you have a cut off point besides how many players a server can handle in an area doesn't it just become a raid boss without an instance? After having seen the revamped Tequatl in GW2, I would like something like that but harder. Something that requires the server coming together to beat it (AQ gates, maybe?).
  12. Mykor

Mykor Cupcake-About-Town

Fel Reaver is one of my favorite world bosses. Still remember the first time I saw him pat around in hellfire... Talk about a 'Holy sh*t' moment :)
    Wildstar cannot simply copy/paste what was done in the past, but instead find a way to improve on it.
    Malorak and Ianpact like this.
  13. Arkay

Arkay Cupcake

Yeah, worried about that. Those are basically server events to me in a sense and have there place but it isn't the same as a competitive scene. That kind of thing is fun to have as well but I'd also like it another way too.

In a sense, yes, with a different emphasis on group mobilization and coordination because unlike an instance, the boss is -not- on your schedule, is fought over and encourages/requires pvp during the fight.
  14. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

I know they weren't raid bosses - however the giant T-Rexes in Un'Goro Crater (the first iteration of it) gave me my first "ho'ly'sh'ite" moment. The ones that were bigger than a house and could sneak up on you like a ninja and kill a gnome in one stomp - and were higher level than the normal level for the zone AND Elite, and would wipe a full group at times (back when they were first out)!!
    Ianpact likes this.
  15. Chrilin

Chrilin Cupcake-About-Town

lol.... I had a buddy that just loved getting roflstomped by the Fel Reaver... For whatever reason he just couldn't avoid it anytime he was in Hellfire.
  16. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Hah I remember being able to solo them in WoW at their level but that was a few expansions in. Otherwise though those guys were virtually ninjas with how quietly they snagged people.

And speaking of fel reavers, WildStar would be woefully inadequate without giant, high level elite group or raid oriented eldan robots roaming the zones, especially low and mid level areas. THAT would be pure, orgasmic sex. Just sex.
  17. Grytswyrm

Grytswyrm Cupcake

I think a cool, sort of similar to world bosses, idea would be something like "Invasions". Like the name implies, would be an invasion of sorts, maybe a port town getting attacked by invaders from boats and they set up shop in the town, or an evil forest race leaves their forest to siege a nearby city. The idea being these temporary bases get set up with multiple mobs and sub-bosses, and maybe a leader or main objective. The bosses and mobs would drop extremely elevated gold/rare crafting supplies/not basic gear. Essentially think of it as a temporary super farm area, which should attract both factions in a sort of 3 way fight between the 2 factions and a third NPC faction.
  18. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

Devilsaurs! that's their name! At their level, depending on the class and a few expansions in, sometimes you could. They had changed the whole of Un'Goro at one point though - streamlined the questing, etc. They were level 55 elites (and huters had to kite them to kill them) in a level 48-55 zone. King Mosh (the biggest and most dangerous) was the King of the Devilsaurs and a rare spawn and he pretty much required a group to kill.
  19. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

I think I was able to take on devilsaurs successfully around 53-55 or so prior to Cataclysm. It was probably during WotLK but I probably also took some down during BC when I was playing almost exclusively hunters at the time. Once Cata hit probably anyone at that level range could easily solo those guys.
  20. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

I think I recall them saying world bosses are up for grabs, but it would be the max level ones. This is also the reason they would switch those bosses to tagging vs how questing is done and the leveling world bosses.
    As far as the cut off point on players in an area, if I understand you correctly, this has only been mentioned for the starter zones, they have said everything else is open.

The world bosses in Vanilla were a big part of the competitive scene, and any guild that downed them added the kill and raid screenshot to the progression sticky on their server forums. TBC was similar with Kazzak and Void Reaver but those weren't as big for many of the progression guilds as the ones in Vanilla, specifically Azuregos and the 4 Green dragons.
    WildStar is putting a big emphasis on competitive endgame, and level cap world bosses would add to that in a big way. Pvp'ers in Vanilla and TBC to some extent, would brag endlessly on the forums about how much more skill they had than a Pve raider did, and of course some guilds were ranking in both areas. World bosses would just give the Pvp guilds both an incentive for world Pvp and the opportunity to put their money where their mouth is.