1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

World Bosses

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Arkay, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Lsya

Lsya Cupcake-About-Town

Since WS allows us to build things, here something I think would be fun for a world boss.

Each faction can build one. Once built, it roams the land attacking anyone from the other side.

To build it, the players have to complete various quests associated with their paths. Different path quests affect how the boss turns out. For example, soldier quests affect its combat abilities, etc. Each type of path quest affects the creation differently. It's also possible that it turns out different each time. If we don't get enough settlers working on it, then maybe the quality of construction is weaker than desired.

I'd like it to take a lot to build one. We don't want them to be trivial. Make them take a while to build, and make them tough to destroy. Also, each faction can only have one at a time. No boss armies roaming around.

Just a thought. Perhaps it's another way to get people working together.
    Malorak and Darkace like this.
  2. kikisrags

kikisrags New Cupcake

unique weapon skins for killing world bosses, all i want :)
  3. Arkay

Arkay Cupcake

Be cool if you could mount the bosses in your house and have them give some sort of effect. Like, out of combat speed+5% or something more balanced.
  4. Roq777

Roq777 Cupcake

What I'm hoping for is something between BAMs in tera, and the mini-bosses on the Isle of Thunder patch in WoW. So a good mix of stuff you can solo if you're skilled, but scales if you go in with a group.

I think bosses or elites like this are a very under used asset in MMOs. They are a nice challenge for people who don't wish or have time to raid, or even run dungeons, and also offer something for world PvPers to fight over.
  5. Malorak

Malorak Cupcake-About-Town

Server wide AQ-Gate-opening like events in which your server has to gather at the forums to participate, vote for an idea what boss will be done...

And then you have to gather the materials. As soon as both Dominion and Exiles are done, they unleash their worldbosses onto the lands of nexus.

That would be amazing.
    Lsya and Xlugon Pyro like this.
  6. Anstalt

Anstalt Cupcake-About-Town

This may be a silly question, but how many of you did much PvE in Warhammer Online?

My favourite implementation of "world bosses" was in WARs Public Quests. For those that haven't played them, essentially PQs are multi-stage open world events which you need to progress through as a group. Typically the first stage was just kill a certain amount of mobs in the area. When achieved, stage 2 would be harder and have a time limit. The final stage of a PQ usually involved a boss. Loot was based off difficulty, personal contribution combined with a random roll.

My favourite implementation of PQs was a place called Mount Gunbad.

In Mount Gunbad, there were three wings. Each wing had 3 public quests (possibly more?) so that is nine possible bosses already. You could get some great loot from each boss if you won the top stuff so they were worth doing initially. At the end of each wing there was also an instanced boss (6man) so you got the benefit of world bosses in a contested zone combined with a controlled instanced boss at the end of each wing.

The only downside to Mount Gunbad was it was a leveling zone (23-30ish) so after the initial leveling rush the place was pretty empty.

My only other good experience of world bosses was in initial LotRO. The world bosses dropped rare crafting materials so loads of people tried to get them. Some could be soloed if you were good, most required 2-4 people. Given that original LotRO had horizontal loot progression at endgame, this meant the top crafted gear was equal in power to the top raid loot so competition for world bosses was fierce. Finding a world boss took patience and some skill to kill solo but even after the kill, crafting success was only 30% so top crafted gear remained rare and highly coveted (in many cases, it was quicker to get raid gear than crafted gear). At that point of the game, it was amazing! The economy was fantastic, player participation was high etc. Noone became overpowered due to gear.Unfortunately, Turbine homogenized endgame crafting and so instead of needing to kill a specific world boss in order to craft a piece of gear, any world boss would do plus they massively increased the drop rates. This killed the economy for a while and killed the fun of world bosses permanently.
  7. Arkay

Arkay Cupcake

Tera BAMS are actually one of the more common implementation of WB that I tend to dislike heavily. They were extremely irrelevant. I was able to solo the 'difficult' ones and only ever bothered with them for the Archon points they gave. Wasn't much competition, feeling of accomplishment or general incentive to bother with them.

That said, it was cool running in to one for the first time but knowing that they never dropped anything really coveted/going to be a challenge was a downer.
  8. Jeuraud

Jeuraud Cupcake-About-Town

This is not a World Boss; this is just a Boss MOB that is out in the World. A WB takes a raid size group of players to take it on… that is what makes it a WB.

Now I know that many of you Raider hate the zerg, and want to be able to tag a WB to avoid the zerg, but as a Soloer, the WB is the only time that I’ll participate in large group content. I love the chaos of the zerg; sometimes I’ll join one of the groups that are taking on a WB, other times I’ll solo next to the other Soloers and groups. Sometimes those groups communicate amongst themselves, and sometimes not. Sometimes the groups formed to take on the WB would go on to other content in the zone, and other times the groups would disband as soon as the WB was defeated.

Something I want you Raiders to understand; the WB is not content that belongs exclusively to you.
  9. Arkay

Arkay Cupcake

Some people don't consider what your describing to be the same thing. That is essentially a public event if it's freely zergable IMO. It is closer to the industry standard nowadays. We get that, there is a place for that. To make every WB like that would be terrible and I/others were asking for something different, something that creates a different form of gameplay.

This is basically what you want/ what current MMO actually provide:

See the boss? Me neither, too many people zerging it that it is invisible. No competition and the rewards are inferior/not worth the effort. It is still kind of cool to fight a strong creature as a server but that gets old fast for a specific crowd and it isn't what many of us want when we start talking about competitive and valuable World Bosses.
  10. elnerdino

elnerdino New Cupcake

Thats one of the things I liked about Forsaken World. They had bosses for every taste. You had your common "named Mobs" (bit bigger and maybe 2-3 times as strong as the normal mob) you could do while solo-questing, then you had those pretty beefy Group bosses in a lot of maps and then there were the huge (almost) Raid-sized world bosses that usually spawned in PvP areas with multiple guilds (and even alliances of 2 or more guilds) fighting over them.
  11. Arkay

Arkay Cupcake

^Sounds cool.

Anyway, this was brought up in the other thread:
    It's absolutely necessary for the type of gameplay being discussed that outsiders/randoms not be able to engage the boss/pull aggro on the boss. I would however be alright with Boss aoe hitting those outside of the alliance engaged. This could lead to some griefing /MPK but... it would also add some interesting dynamic for the group who lost claim and who are trying to kill the ones currently engaged.
  12. Jeuraud

Jeuraud Cupcake-About-Town

I’ve been MMOing since the release of EQ, and a World Boss to me is something that stands about 3 to 4 stories tall, and is not going to get lost in all of the fx; say something like this.

Hells, I couldn’t even see the MOB in your vid after everybody died at the end.

I have no issues with making some of the WBs tagable, giving those of you raiders who cannot deal with chaos something to do in the open world, as long as not all of them are tagable.
    Arkay likes this.
  13. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Space dragons! Jumbo eldan mechabots!

Make it so, Carbine!
    Arkay likes this.
  14. Arkay

Arkay Cupcake

Well that is what I was saying. That type of WB is cool too and has it's place but it doesn't provide the cuthroat competition many of us want. So I'd like both implemented.

And the mobs turn invisible because of all the people and loading priority. There is hundreds involved in those zergs. 14 has a lot of flaws in general though lol.

Not the same one in video but this is invisible 90% of the time even though it is fairly large.

[​IMG]
  15. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

We always just stopped attacking if someone else outside pulled aggro...you want the boss, you got him. I never really saw it be much of an issue, and most organized groups had plenty of control after the first 30 seconds, so these tards would have to aggro right off the bat or they basically were just bait until they caught a cleave.
  16. Arkay

Arkay Cupcake

I have mixed experience with that. Kind of depends on how it is implemented in the specific game but if you can pull aggro and attack then you have the potential to reset/leash the boss/make it so loot doesn't drop properly and other such things.

A cool type of drop that everyone would want would be something like: Super challenging World Boss has a chance to drop a certain non-tradable key item that alters the color of a certain classes ability or spell. It would be a sort of prestige item that makes you feel special.

"Why is your spell fire black!?"
    "Reward that dropped from that 40 Man World Boss that was one shotting people."
  17. Lsya

Lsya Cupcake-About-Town

I like it! Sounds like fun.
  18. Arkay

Arkay Cupcake

That would probably be a cool server event. I could see something like that for a Holiday and being talked about for years.