1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

World PvP Ideas with poll, join in!

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Pixie, May 16, 2013.

?

Which (up to several) of these features would YOU like to see in-game

1. Contested settler towns (with or without buffs to the zone)

59.3%
  2. World PvE bosses with worthwhile loot to create possible hotspots

72.9%
  3. Portals, "rifts" that open automatically during open world combat, accessible from your UI

6.8%
  4. Flying mounts that have combat abilities

18.6%
  5. PvP quests and Dynamic PvP events

59.3%
  6. Bounty system (wild west style!)

69.5%
  7. Open world arenas with treasure chests

50.8%
  8. Random zones producing more resources to attract players

40.7%
  9. One or two fuel station pr zone, to create PvP combat hotspots

33.9%
  10. Server with no automatic group finders and queues, so no one can portal to things

25.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Pixie

Pixie Cupcake-About-Town

In the midst of the ongoing "storm" regarding flying mounts, we're seeing that many of the arguments against not only flying mounts, but also in threads about taxis, dungeon finders, player housing, pretty much in any discussion about an aspect of the game that is perceived as taking the players out of the world, basically boil down to "it will hurt world PvP".

This is not the first time I've seen these same heated discussions about an upcoming or released game, and for that reason I thought, why don't we look at it differently?

Not every gamer enjoys world PvP. But those who do, can't live without it. It is a "way of life" for many gamers, and to them joining a PvP server is about choosing excitement and adrenaline over completionism and the ability to predict your play sessions. And for that reason I completely understand the worries this group of players has when they see "the other guys" making arguments defending features they know will hurt their playstyle.

The question is, does it have to? Perhaps we should look at ways to make world PvP better instead, make it less fragile and easily hurt by the implementation of other features, so that it can stand the test of time in Wildstar.

The best PvP game I ever played was Eve. Space in Eve is vast and you can fly around for hours without seeing another player, and yet the game has played host to some of the largest PvP battles in MMO history. This is because Eve gives players the tools they need to organise, to make an event for themselves and to feel part of something. Demand those tools!

I will start this discussion by pasting in a post I made in another thread, which basically include most of my ideas for how to make world PvP more robust.

As I am re-reading this thread I am seeing that most of the arguments for ditching your taxi along the way are related to world PvP and it occurred to me... why not make logistics for world PvP purposes better in an even more useful way?

My idea is that if a battle breaks out it should be easier to join the fight in general. The basic suggestion is a flag that is set down when a skirmish occurs, allowing players to travel to it from a tab in the same menu you use to enter battlegrounds. That way PvP'ers can find each other quickly, but a real conflict needs to occur before the flag spawns so the dynamic won't change too much.

Variations on this concept are endless:
    1) make the flag a guild ability, earnable by guilds that enjoy PvP'ing together, and only useable by the guild, but make it useable anywhere (but on a timer) so guilds can plan their own guild vs guild skirmish events much like you can in Eve.

2) make the flag/portal a spawnable public quest, make it use an item you can, say, gain in war plots, that starts summoning a portal, that the faction then needs to defend until it is ready, which then sends an alert to the factions that the portal is spawned. The portal can at any time be taken over by the other faction like a battleground objective.

3) Idea 2 modified to make both factions have to defend their own portal

4) make the portals random rifts in the space/time continuum occurring from the clashes of magic and player powers in a skirmish area, and notify the server population when a new rift spawns.

Your turn! Any suggestion you might have, that could make it easier to find, or get to, or start pvp conflicts in the open world on PvP servers, that doesn't include removing another aspect of the game, post it here! I think it's a much healthier approach to make world PvP more robust than to fear all the things that could potentially ruin it. But please please PLEASE don't mention flying mounts, dungeon finders or anything like that unless your suggestion includes them directly!

Hopefully the mods can help me keep this thread on topic :whistling:
    Afrotech and Eliat_kuni like this.
  2. rivalcycle971

rivalcycle971 Cupcake

Well, aside from making it fun obviously, they'll want to make the rewards worth playing for, worth leaving town for.

Just a couple of ideas:

- Killing players in the world gives you whatever the PvP currency is- at a high amount (the amount either decreases the more you kill or caps at a certain amount per day/hour/whatever)

- players bodies are lootable- You won't lose your own items if you die, but a player can loot your corpse for a chance to loot something cool- whether it be just crafting mats, housting items, or some sort of cool items only attainable in world pvp. again, this would have to be monitored so factions aren't exploiting it by taking turns killing each other. only making the person lootable the first time you kill them + making the items soulbound might be a start
  3. Mel

Mel Cupcake-About-Town

Give settlers a turret to knock people off their mounts. Problem solved!
  4. Vunak

Vunak Cupcake-About-Town

I dont think you can compare EVE to many games on the market especially a theme park like WS. EVE players go out in space with the intent of collecting salvage when they PVP. There are no instant ports to "dungeons". You have wormholes that people camp. Everything in EVE is done in the "world" (space), not in private instances.

Its vastly Political as well, with corporations clashing, trading, spying etc. We may have that through Warplots, but once again those are instanced and they won't have all the dynamics that EVE corporations have. In EVE you may never have to go to war because that one person on the inside completely dismantles the opposing Corp from within.

EVE also doesn't have hard locked factions, meaning anyone you meet is a potential threat.

WS can do well with its WPVP even having instanced dungeons and ports/flying mounts. But they have to cater to it.

World PVE Bosses that have higher drop rates and larger loot tables than Instanced Bosses would help quite a bit, akin to L2. OW Dungeons that have special crafting goods or housing goods that can be found in them. A GvG system or Territory control that can be sieged. Reasons to raid the other factions cities other than a special Title or Mount, and reasons to defend the city if its raided by the opposing faction. Possibly an outlaw/pirate faction people can become a part of and be an enemy to both factions. A bounty system would be huge as well.

Give people reason to be out in the World and WPvP will thrive. Take everyone out of the world via instances/BGs/Warplots etc and it will die. Its as simple as that.

But it would need Carbine to actually do something about it now rather than put if off until after launch, which is their current plan.
  5. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

Mounts having abilities can pretty much make this good.

Unfortunately we haven't been given much info on mounts, which is the problem with debating it all.
  6. rivalcycle971

rivalcycle971 Cupcake

yes, paths could certainly make world pvp very interesting. settlers turrets, health regen nodes, scientists some sort of buffs or gadgets, warriors- i don't know, explorers can give speed buffs, mark targets or something. seems real complicated to implement but there is potential for something there.
    Rumze likes this.
  7. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

You do know, today they've stated something about some mounts having health and ability bars?
    So that's a bit more info :D

Also it just screams ''Mount combat'' to me :p
  8. Pixie

Pixie Cupcake-About-Town

I know Eve is completely different. The tools I'm thinking about are things like the ability to warp together, to gather at a bookmarks, etc. That's why I suggested the rifts or portals/guild rally flags, to give you that same ability to gather your comrades quickly in the same spot, but Wildstar style.

On a different note, after reading the great suggestions already trickling in, I'd like to make a new one...

Involve the Paths into the world PvP. The points at which Settlers can make towns would be great areas to gather for world PvP on those servers (while probably serving as more of a pure social hub on PvE and RP servers), and it would be cool if they could be contested. There's no need to make fancy fortresses that can be taken over and owned by guilds when the system pretty much already exists in the game as "hooks" for Settlers to build upon.... It would be a lot easier to tweak that if they don't already work well to serve as a world PvP hotspot in their current form.

Soldiers holding the line against waves of enemies could also quickly become a hotspot. It would be awesome if a Soldier could make a raid in a contested zone, start a Soldier PvP task and actually create a PvP hotspot, that would show up on the map for both factions.

Keep up the good work, people! I love the unique loot idea, the anti-mount settler turret and world PvE bosses playing a role in keeping people roaming the world. I'm already rooting for mount skills after reading Gaffer's comment in yesterday's Q/A.

Ideas like world bosses giving truly valuable loot doesn't just help world PvP, and thus it wouldn't even fall under the "we will wait with world PvP focus until after launch" issue...
  9. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

That info has been out in the open for quite some time, sounds awesome.
  10. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Well i knew about the health bars, but untill today i never knew if Carbine had (really) confirmed the mount ability bars. But now i saw Jerremy confirm it.

But then again mayby i missed a post from them before ;)
  11. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

If you want World PvP on a game you need reasons for people to go out and explore.

like Rare Spawns, Events,
    maybe PvP related quests like the idea above, really interessting.

on a side note, is this game being balanced around 1x1, or rock,paper,scisor? just curious.
  12. Paterk

Paterk Cupcake-About-Town

Make toxic open world pvp behaviors immersive, interesting, and ultimately less appealing.

People who gank low levels and corpse camp should be treated like the vile criminals they are. This could be as interesting as flagging them as an Outlaw with a bounty. They would not be welcome in any town and ether faction could easily find them on the mini map and hunt them down for a pvp currency reward. Once defeated, they lose PVP currency as a fine.

Killing a player 5 to 10 levels lower than you.
    Killing a player "X" times in a short amount of time.

Can you imagine a gang of outlaws go on a murdering spree. They then flee to their "holdout" which could be a cave or secluded area in the world. Players are then notified that a bounty has been placed on the outlaws and are given their last known location. A posse then forms up to hunt them down for major pvp currenty rewards. The more times a player is brought to justice, the more severe the punishments are when defeated. This is such a Western motif that if Wildstar DOESN'T include it, then Carbine is insane.
    Proximo likes this.
  13. BonusStage

Thing is, the game is faction based, i dont think it makes much sense to punish people for ganking the other faction.

but yeah a system like that could work. i woudnt mind it.
  14. Catdurid

Catdurid Cupcake

I don't think getting into the action is the big problem. Its people getting away from it. Through flying mounts, or travel systems that continue to take a player away even when they want to stop.

I don't agree with the portal system that eve is using. Players want to see, and engage new enemies out in the world. We don't need a guild of pvpers just sitting in town waiting for that portal to pop, so they can zerg the enemy.

Give mounts health bars, and allow us to shoot them down. Do enough damage to the mount, and the player crash lands (with no dmg taken on impact), or parachutes down. With limited movement control so they can somewhat steer where they land. Mount is damaged, and has a 5min cooldown before it can be used again. So now a player can engage the enemy, or try to escape on foot.

Or they could give us tools to attack people on mounts directly. Anyone else remember parachute Boomkins? :D
    BonusStage likes this.
  15. BonusStage

Pretty much agreed, this should also be posted on the flying mount thread, even tho i said something similar over there
  16. Paterk

Paterk Cupcake-About-Town

I guess that COULD break the fiction. But its just an idea to quell the crappetastic side of open world pvp. Spell check has no suggestions for craptastic.
  17. Kalmander

Kalmander Well-Known Cupcake

WorldDefense channel, and WorldAttack channel. I know I posted that before, but we need automated channels that will tell us where our faction is being attacked, and where our faction is attacking.

Many spots like Gurubashi arena in WoW. Where it is a small arena where you are flagged for free-for-all PVP, and a treasure chest will appear in the middle (I would make it at random times). So people can go in there and start beating each other for the treasure. In many cases, the battle could extend for a long time after the chest is gone :p

Hum... Anything where we get competition between the factions. Heck, could be actual competitions. Make GM controlled events, like a race, or swimming contest, where PVP is allowed.

There are many ways, but yeah, we should promote PVP.
  18. Freja

Freja Cupcake

If we can get around just as quickly on ground mounts or other transportation, I don't see any reason to have controllable flying mounts. Controllable flying mounts do hurt world pvp. If you're a gamer that doesn't want to world pvp, than play on one of the pve servers.
  19. BonusStage

it only harms if it's implemented the same way they did it on WoW.
    By making flight something that dosent fit with the world , and it dosent interact with it either.

Give mounts health bars, skills, and class types, and suddenly you have a new layer to world PvP.
  20. Freja

Freja Cupcake

I'm still not sold on this. So if the mount "dies" in the air, do you also fall to your death / do you slowly parachute down?

Also how could this be balanced with the Explorer path when they sometimes need to find their way to the top of a mountain? Would you only be able to fly in certain areas but not others?