1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

World PvP Ideas with poll, join in!

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Pixie, May 16, 2013.

?

Which (up to several) of these features would YOU like to see in-game

1. Contested settler towns (with or without buffs to the zone)

59.3%
  2. World PvE bosses with worthwhile loot to create possible hotspots

72.9%
  3. Portals, "rifts" that open automatically during open world combat, accessible from your UI

6.8%
  4. Flying mounts that have combat abilities

18.6%
  5. PvP quests and Dynamic PvP events

59.3%
  6. Bounty system (wild west style!)

69.5%
  7. Open world arenas with treasure chests

50.8%
  8. Random zones producing more resources to attract players

40.7%
  9. One or two fuel station pr zone, to create PvP combat hotspots

33.9%
  10. Server with no automatic group finders and queues, so no one can portal to things

25.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Auxiliary

Auxiliary Cupcake

Carbine Studios said that open world PvP was not something they would focus on for release, meaning we shouldn't expect special PvP areas such as Wintergrasp / Tol Barad or other features which would take a lot of time to develop.

Another Ladder to Climb!
    My solution would be quite simple. Warplots, Arena and Battlegrounds all have their own ladder to climb towards the top, add World PvP as a seperate ladder.

The Past
    One way how they could introduce this would be similar to Vanilla WoW's PvP system. People would kill people of the opposing faction for 'honor'. At the end of the week you would get a 'standing' which determined how much you would progress towards a higher 'rank'. To make the obvious clear to all, more honor meant a better standing. Before battlegrounds were introduced this meant people searched locations where members of the opposing faction would gather to earn some honor.

Why WoW's system was cruel:
    - You could lose progress towards the next rank for killing low level NPC's of the opposing faction.
    - Your progress towards the next rank could be reversed by not playing or not playing enough.
    - You had to guess which standing you were currently at by looking at everyone's honor.
    - The time required to obtain worthwhile rewards was ridiculously long.

What system do I suggest?
    Wildstar is trying to cater to all types of players. Therefore I suggest we keep the fun parts of the Vanilla WoW system minus the negatives. Have a progress bar which progresses to your next rank which updates each week depending on your standing, which depends on how much people you have killed in World PvP, but do not make it a painful grind by reversing progress in any sort of way. Allow people to see which standing they are currently at in real-time as well. With such a system everyone would be able to eventually reap the rewards and not just those people who are willing to farm honor 18 hours a day, 7 days a week for several months.

Rewards:
    Each rank brings it own rewards bought at the PvP quartermaster. These items should never be Best in Slot like some of the Vanilla WoW weapons were, but they shouldn't be entirely useless either. They could be on the same level of Battleground gear at the lower ranks, at the same level of gear as Arena at the higher ranks. It would be cool if the PvP gear had it's own unique look, but that probably costs too much time to implement at launch.

- Title for each rank.
    - PvP Gear
    - Mount(s)
    - Items: props for your house, minipets, tabard(s), etc.

What do I expect to happen?
    Most people would not do World PvP for the initial gear since Battlegrounds would most likely be a faster way to collect gear, but people would do World PvP for the gear coming from the higher ranks and items such as mounts, props for your house and the most definitely for the titles.

Where would it happen?
    Carbine Studios have stated that World PvP was not a major feature at launch so I find it unlikely that they will at World PvP objectives in the world. This means players would for a while try to find the optimal spot to farm honor as swiftly as possible. In WoW this was Southshore-Tarren Mill, but I figure Wildstar will have it's own areas with two cities (ress points/graveyards) from opposing factions being painfully close to eachother. Another likely spot is in front of the opposing faction's doorstep (right in front of their capital city).
  2. Outburstz

Outburstz Cupcake-About-Town

Flying mounts is still debatable on if they are going to allow that or not. I hope not because it will take away from WPvP. Having Flying mount PvP is just lame seriously that would be a bad gimmick.

Random resources that can not be traded only collected would make people go out and get it themselves.
  3. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

While it is under debate i'm almost completely sure they'll add them! (99.9% ;))

As for taking away WPvP, that's why the options in this poll excist, don't they? To reduce the effect on WPvP trough the means of other features.

Flying mount PvP would be a bad gimmick?

Gimmick = a special feature for the sake of having a special feature

However in this case Flying mount PvP would be added for the sake of reducing the impact Flying mounts would have on WPvP, thus the sake is not having a special feature but reducing the effect of 1 feature on another feature, thus it cannot be classified as a ''gimmick'' :p
  4. Pixie

Pixie Cupcake-About-Town

Thank you thank you thank you for getting this!
    That is the only reason I started these two threads that will soon hopefully become one. I want Wildstar to be the best game ever, and often I see people complain about a feature because it takes away from another feature. Very often that feature is world pvp...

I just want world pvp to be robust enough to stand on its on feet even after years, with multiple expansions and added features.

I want you to be able to join a PvP server and be able to expect to see great player versus player battles even after those years have passed.

I want the basic concept of how world pvp pans out in Wildstar to stand the Test Of Time because it was designed to be engaging enough to do do. It needs to be reinvented, just a little, so past mistakes aren't repeated and so Carbine can come up with more awesome features for the game they clearly want to create, without worrying TOO much that one of the core groups of Players That Stay In Games, the hardcore PvP'ers, will suffer for it.

I am the worst person in the world to make and maintain heated discussions like these, I fricken squeak when I talk... yesterday I answered the phone and a salesman asked me if my parents were home, I am 27!! But I know the core groups that really stick with a game title are the hardcore players, be it rp'ers, pvp'ers, raiders, you all matter immensely and so do your opinions.

But if that is to be achieved we NEED to make sure there are people to pvp with, and those people will not have your exact opinion... world pvp needs to appeal to a myriad of different players or the game world on pvp servers will not be able to maintain a healthy amount of interesting fights for people to bother logging in ever day.

That is what *I* want in all this, my future favourite game to have a healthy community on every server type, because the more people play, the better the game I'll be.

I read about the Trion layoffs yesterday, and that is the umphteenth company to have massive layoffs of talented game devs that cared about the worlds they created. I am a writer and I care so much about the worlds I create. I never want to hear about layoffs at Carbine, I want to hear about expansions, new ideas, CarbineCon and happy developers, so Nexus can be the coolest place to spend my game time. Because I have been game hopping for too long and I remember back in the day hen you made friends for life in games like these and I miss that.

*explodes in confetti*

Edited because my tablet hates me, and inconsistently changes words and stuff...
    Extatica likes this.
  5. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

I want exactly the same! :up:
    Well i have been in the background on the other threads about flying combat/OWPvP etc.
    But i just had to reply since i see things happening that shouldn't happen in the first place!!!

Those things are:
    1. Completely denying a feature (saying things like ''i don't want flying mounts in the game'' etc.)
    2. Shoving the problem to other server (argh i hate people asking for special servers...it's not helping at all!)
    3. Responding without any reasoning behind it (just like nr1 but without reasoning)
    4. Comparing it to other games that have failed the flying concept (this doesn't mean Carbine will do the same! Have some faith and help them reach a solution, Like Pixie does with this thread :up: )
    5. Using false ''facts'' (therefore they can't be facts!!)

I'm kinda desperate to find the solution to what some may consider as a ''flying/PvP problem'', since i love both features!

But i have high hopes for a few reasons:
    1. It's Carbine! (i became to love these guys!)
    2. This time the world is created around the concept of flying mounts! (So people don't go compare it to WoW! That's the worst things you can do!)
    3. They listen to the community (so if we spout enough idea's and tips about the concept i'm sure Carbine will get some new idea's aswell! This can only help the chain of making a better gaming eviroment!)
  6. Torguish

Torguish Cupcake

I did mean Malygos and i count that as flying combat. And while flying mounts were confirmed, they did say that the community has made them thinking about flying mounts and they don't want them if the vast community don't want them.. :p Don't remember what interview was that but yeah. Maybe it was even on the forums. Even tho malygos is a bad example, it was again, a rushed, moronic, gimmick. Nothing else. :p That's what i'm afraid of.

And i didn't way it only has telegraphed spells, but those telegraphed are a major part of the combat, unless implemented in a successful, non frustrating way, i don't think that would work that well. And from what i've understood, most spells are dodgeable, it's a lot like gw2 from what i understood.

I didn't point out any facts, i merely mentioned things that i see that could turn out problematic.

And just shooting straight line projectiles when flying would get a bit dull, not to mention: Doesn't that mean flying = other skills, and if that's the fact, depending on what you fly with you get your skill set depending on your mount?

I haven't heard any confirmation on flight & fight mechanics so i can't say anything and as far as facts go, neither can you but then again, you might a lot smarter than me when talking about this game.

i'm merely throwing out my point of view and my point of view is: Unless made extremely well, in way which compensates other aspects of the game and works with current mmorpg mechanics, i don't see how that can be implemented in a way that i'd be like ''thank god they added this''.

I just don't want that thing to seem as a mere gimmick which won't be ever fixed or made better. Just taking space from more potential, working ground fighting. I'm not saying anything before i see it work well.

Again, these are opinions. Not facts. Never said i know anything, i just found flight combat troublesome and a rushed gimmick, rather than a big game mechanic.

Ps. No offence taken, i don't know that much about the game even tho i've been following it for like 2 years.. :| And i do have faith in these guys. Not to mention, you didn't really throw in facts, you used some parts of those answers to back up your opinions. No offence.

Pps. I'm not comparing this to WoW, merely giving an example if needed from other games :|

PPS:
    If they truly, truly, TRULY think they can pull it off, they should do it. Flight combat can be done so bad in so many ways.
  7. Virtual On

Virtual On Cupcake

I picked PvP quests and Dynamic Events, and Bounty System.

Flying PvP just doesn't work. Look at Aion. There's a whole host of problems with completely adding a third dimension. Add in the telegraph system of W*? I highly, HIGHLY doubt it's going to happen.

Also, I feel sorry for anyone that thinks world PvE bosses will be good in the longrun.

Yeah, in the beginning before any "big" guild or faction can assert their dominance you may have some good fights.

However, in every PvP game I have played, one faction(and maybe a single guild in particular) always comes out above, mostly due to numbers. Eventually, it comes to a point where the other faction doesn't even show because they can't compete with the numbers. They'll hide at some far enough away point of entry and pick off stragglers.

Also, it becomes a point of contention within your own faction if only one guild ends up getting the monster. If the loot is worthwhile, that IS what will happen. I saw it in FFXI, I saw it in Aion, I saw it in TERA. I was a part of it in Aion. Back towards release, Watcher Zapiel and the dude in the core were 2 of the most sought after world bosses. My guild got them, every time, and do you know how much our own faction was yelling at us to "share the love?"

Numbers win world PvP, and you need to implement systems to try and minimize that.

EDIT: I wasn't going to put WAR here, since there is no PvE bosses, but you can attribute the same things to what I saw via keeps and such. Once either faction was dominant, you didn't have anyone show to defend, because it was futile. At release I was on Skullthrone, which had the first RR80(Slototh) because he had a MASSIVE destruction zerg behind him. Order didn't fight them, they ran behind them and did a "keep circle." There was no point in fighting, because we would have lost. Some people broke off for guerrilla warfare, but that was not to engage the main force. It was, again, to take off stragglers.
  8. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

Mount combat and objective based open warfare has been mentioned to not be in -at launch-

Just mentioning to not get anybodies hope (hype) up.
  9. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Orange part:
    Oke, indeed in WoW you had some Flying combat, but i was more referring to a more PvP styled flying combat. In which i think we should really don't compare PvE and PvP in terms of flying combat since in PvE it is completely different since it has to match a boss, a group (mayby even a raid). While in PvP it should match different kind of things.

So that's why i didn't saw that as flying combat (as in a PvP version).

Blue part:
    Point #2 wasn't completely pointed to you personally (hence why i used the term ''people'') but it was also something i had to say seeing some people in other threads stated things so it would seem as WS only had telegraphed spells. Just to clear things up.
    Alot of spells are dodgeable but not all, so for that reason they could even make the spells you get in flying PvP different.

But for Telegraphed spells in Flying PvP, they should really try using forms like the sphere and cilinder (for example). With only those 2 forms i can make up ALOT of different telegraphs. But it'll certainly require alot of thoughts/testing before it can work properly.

Pink part:
    Spells can be the same but i slight difference in the visuals (some shoot fiery balls other lighting, other rockets etc.)
    And mayby a slight difference in trajectory of some spells (telegraphs).

But i've also read that they would have something ''special'' for underwater combat making it more....(can't remember the exact words).....but something along the lines of ''making the combat feel more genuine'' (i think). Atleast they were looking into the 3d underwater combat :p

Underwater is a 3d area aswell, so if they have been working on making the 3d underwater fighting experience better they could also do it to the 3d air area. So given that information they greatly increased my hope in them.

Special part where i agree with you: :cautious:
    I agree it isn't something that can be rushed in.
    But neither would i shoot the whole concept of flying PvP out of the window just because other games have failed to implement it correctly.

Green part:
    Nope, they haven't explicitly, however it has been stated that some mounts have seperate health bars, and can have ability bars. Hence opening the possibility of Mounted combat.

Also i can be a bit fierce (as you may have seen already).
    But that's jsut because i'm a firm believer that it is possible to have Flying mounts in-game without ruining OWPvP.
    What the exact solution for that is? I don't know, but i'm willing to fight for it's cause :D
  10. Sawpaw

Sawpaw Cupcake-About-Town

Voted for everything except portals and LFG, I really do not like portals for travel, and I dont see how LFG effects PVP at all unless you using a portal.
  11. Crucifer

Crucifer Cupcake-About-Town

The only option I chose of the lot is a Bounty System...having a server side message go out when a High Profile PvPer from the other faction logs on and says "<X Player> has now logged on. 100G to the first person who can slay him." and then if someone kills him in World PvP they get mailed 100G via the server with a congratulations message. And another server message goes out saying "<Y Player> has slain <X player>...<Y Player is now worth 110g. BRING ME HIS HEAD!" and so on the cycle of being on the hunt and hunted begins.

You could do this server wide or zone wide.
  12. FrozenlandPT

FrozenlandPT Cupcake

• Open world arenas with treasure chests
    Great way to incentive players to engage in a world PVP system, they should at least try to have a "capture point" system so that not only they need to kill the players to get reward they also need to capture the point for a few seconds/minutes to that the chest can be open.A part for that I don't see how can players be eligible to open the chest, I hate systems like "First to go, first to get", that only kills the purpose of the system.
    So that said I think the system need to reward players who kill players/capture or if not that, opening the chest should be a long cast time that can be cancel/interrupted well is sorta of a capture system. If A player open the chest then his faction can open the chest and only that.
    • Contested settler towns (with or without buffs to the zone)
    This raises the question: Why would people capture settler towns? I think people (and me) are not into mindless systems that you only kill for kill, all the people like the feeling of rewarding.
    I have not much to say in this matter.
    • "Portals" that open automatically at a PvP hotspot, accessible from your UI
    Portals will kill the vibe of the game, but how about in the Zone Map if there are hotspots with 4 ou more players in engaging in PVP be displayed in the map?
    Great way to people know where are the hotspots, if you want you avoid, if not you go engage the other <REDACTED>s.
    • World PvE bosses with worthwhile loot to gather people in areas
    I hate when bosses are like 20% of HP and other faction attack us, I bet that everyone hates that, so no.
    But IF we have to engage the enemy team to have an opportunity to get to fight the WB then, yes, please. A PVP attunement-ish would be great. But is hard to implant at this stage.
    • Flying mounts that have combat abilities
    Flying mounts are lore-wise and get into the vibe of the game. C'mon we are in a SCI-FI game with ships and such things, ofc there will be FM, but how they do it is more important to me than why they do it.
    So it should be a really great way to get Flying Mounts a purpose, and ofc I am dreaming that we can construct our own FM and customize them.
    I only hope they go for this and have a specific zone that is all about FM-PVP and instead of Tab-Targeting is more like a FPS where you need to point/have a crosshair to attack the other team. So why not have also a need to repair the mounts every time we get engage? Why not have professions that construct missiles and stuff like that?
    For me is a really great idea for Flying Mounts
    • PvP quests and Dynamic PvP events
    Myself I don't like to get forced to get A kills per day or stuff like that.
    PVP quests and Dynamic PVP events is a very generic thing, but can be explored alot.
    • Bounty system, wild west style
    I NEED THIS IN THE GAME
    People should have their heads to be hunt but also should be hard to hunters to know where they are, apart for that I think is really a straight thing.
    • One or two fuel station pr zone
    Always a good idea to gather people of other factions and kill them. They only need to have fuel really really important.
  13. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

It just made me rofl a bit, since this is a poll on which feature can make OWPvP happen more often. Yet in your first point (that i quoted), you say you hate because the other faction can attack you, therefore denying the kill or potentially stealing the kill (you kinda state here you are playing a PvP realms then).

They are all features to promote OWPvP, yet you state you don't like the OWPvP part of that option....(people comming in to kill you guys).
    It feels to me as you want the OWPvP to only affect you IF you want to. Well there has always been a solution to that! ''PvE realms!''.

As for the bounty system, i see it like this:

Everyone should start with a ''zero'' bounty (for the oposite faction), let's say you're not a threat to them as long as you haven't killed one of them yet. so it's legit.

Then with every kill you make to The oposite faction you get a +10g and +10% (not being round up) increase.

So if you start you'll have:
    0g bounty, then you kill 2 person and get a raise to 21
    (form 0 to 10 for the first kill 10 a kill + 15% of 0 = 0, then the second kill get's you from 10 to 21 because 10 + 10 for the kill + 10% of the previous bounty = 1 making the total of 21g)

This way it makes sure the growth in bounty in the beginning isn't that big that people want to hunt you down while you only have killed 1 or 2 people.
    But when you have killed ALOT of people the growth rate exponentially increases, therefore more people wanting to hunt you down.

While my figures can be off ofcourse, i suggest if such a system will be implemented, they'd make the growth rate exponential instead of liniair. Also make the lose of bounty get higher the higher your bounty get's aswell (like a % of your total bounty). This way low level people won't lose as much as people who are really strong and have high bounties.
  14. Purple Rose

Purple Rose Cupcake-About-Town

To be honest i dont know how talking more about World PvP or anything will make any difference considering we are behind closed walls and trying to see what is behind them...
  15. Pixie

Pixie Cupcake-About-Town

Because

1) We know the devs have said they aren't going to focus on world PvP until they see what's wanted by the community, probably after launch, so we know that our suggestions will be heard, even if they won't be in quite in time for launch, so it's one of the things you maybe can influence in Wildstar, with a good idea and many people supporting it?

2) It is always better to look at what can be done better, rather than ask for entire features to be removed from the game, and in this case, the way to do that is to look at what can be done better for world PvP instead of worrying about what can ruin it and deny features the devs have been working on because of that.
  16. FrozenlandPT

FrozenlandPT Cupcake

No one likes all features in a OWPvP.

Do I like to get ganked by high-level players when I am trying to level/questing/pvp with people of same level. No, but I need to deal with that since is allowed in the game.
    Same thing with World Bosses, I don't like it but they happen and I need to deal with that.

I don't see anything bad about that, is my opinion/likes and ofc I would can express what I like or not.

Well not everyone likes the same stuff so that is quite normal.

I didn't say I hate it because, I said I hate when happens (is more or less the same thing), but like I said in the post I would prefer to get engage before the WB to a change to get the kill than to have the boss low-HP and just get steal.
  17. Goodwin

Goodwin New Cupcake

My top three would be Bounty System, worthwhile Open World PVE bosses in contested zones and Open World Arenas (a lá Stranglethorn Vale Arena) -- although that might be a bit biased coming from me, considering I love OWPVP and SV was my all-time favorite WoW area.

Yeah, sorry to bring up WoW again... but I have to compare somehow. Why not do it to the most fun and most popular one then.
  18. Pixie

Pixie Cupcake-About-Town

Now with multi-choice poll!

In the midst of the ongoing "storm" regarding flying mounts, we're seeing that many of the arguments against not only flying mounts, but also in threads about taxis, dungeon finders, player housing, pretty much in any discussion about an aspect of the game that is perceived as taking the players out of the world, basically boil down to "it will hurt world PvP".

This is not the first time I've seen these same heated discussions about an upcoming or released game, and for that reason I thought, why don't we look at it differently?

Not every gamer enjoys world PvP. But those who do, can't live without it. It is a "way of life" for many gamers, and to them joining a PvP server is about choosing excitement and adrenaline over completionism and the ability to predict your play sessions. And for that reason I completely understand the worries this group of players has when they see "the other guys" making arguments defending features they know will hurt their playstyle.

The question is, does it have to? Perhaps we should look at ways to make world PvP better instead, make it less fragile and easily hurt by the implementation of other features, so that it can stand the test of time in Wildstar.

The best PvP game I ever played was Eve. Space in Eve is vast and you can fly around for hours without seeing another player, and yet the game has played host to some of the largest PvP battles in MMO history. This is because Eve gives players the tools they need to organise, to make an event for themselves and to feel part of something. Demand those tools!

I will start this discussion by pasting in a post I made in another thread, which basically include most of my ideas for how to make world PvP more robust.

As I am re-reading this thread I am seeing that most of the arguments for ditching your taxi along the way are related to world PvP and it occurred to me... why not make logistics for world PvP purposes better in an even more useful way?

My idea is that if a battle breaks out it should be easier to join the fight in general. The basic suggestion is a flag that is set down when a skirmish occurs, allowing players to travel to it from a tab in the same menu you use to enter battlegrounds. That way PvP'ers can find each other quickly, but a real conflict needs to occur before the flag spawns so the dynamic won't change too much.

Variations on this concept are endless:
    1) make the flag a guild ability, earnable by guilds that enjoy PvP'ing together, and only useable by the guild, but make it useable anywhere (but on a timer) so guilds can plan their own guild vs guild skirmish events much like you can in Eve.

2) make the flag/portal a spawnable public quest, make it use an item you can, say, gain in war plots, that starts summoning a portal, that the faction then needs to defend until it is ready, which then sends an alert to the factions that the portal is spawned. The portal can at any time be taken over by the other faction like a battleground objective.

3) Idea 2 modified to make both factions have to defend their own portal

4) make the portals random rifts in the space/time continuum occurring from the clashes of magic and player powers in a skirmish area, and notify the server population when a new rift spawns.

Your turn! Any suggestion you might have, that could make it easier to find, or get to, or start pvp conflicts in the open world on PvP servers, that doesn't include removing another aspect of the game, post it here! I think it's a much healthier approach to make world PvP more robust than to fear all the things that could potentially ruin it. But please please PLEASE don't mention flying mounts, dungeon finders or anything like that unless your suggestion includes them directly!

Hopefully the mods can help me keep this thread on topic :whistling:
  19. Pixie

Pixie Cupcake-About-Town

And we try again! :oops:
  20. MMOPapa

MMOPapa Cupcake-About-Town

You're going to have to explain some of these poll options to me before I cast a vote:
    1. Contested settler towns (with or without buffs to the zone)
    2. Portals, "rifts" that open automatically during open world combat, accessible from your UI
    3. PvP quests and Dynamic PvP events
    4. Bounty system (wild west style!)
    5. One or two fuel station pr zone, to create PvP combat hotspots