1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

World PvP Ideas with poll, join in!

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Pixie, May 16, 2013.

?

Which (up to several) of these features would YOU like to see in-game

1. Contested settler towns (with or without buffs to the zone)

59.3%
  2. World PvE bosses with worthwhile loot to create possible hotspots

72.9%
  3. Portals, "rifts" that open automatically during open world combat, accessible from your UI

6.8%
  4. Flying mounts that have combat abilities

18.6%
  5. PvP quests and Dynamic PvP events

59.3%
  6. Bounty system (wild west style!)

69.5%
  7. Open world arenas with treasure chests

50.8%
  8. Random zones producing more resources to attract players

40.7%
  9. One or two fuel station pr zone, to create PvP combat hotspots

33.9%
  10. Server with no automatic group finders and queues, so no one can portal to things

25.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Pixie

Pixie Cupcake-About-Town

All the options in this poll, are options from the people who have replied to this thread, so their explanations are in the thread, I just collected them and made them into a poll, and with some help from a friendly neighbourhood mod (Fate Flyer) got the two threads merged. So now it hopefully makes a bit more sense, hehe :oops:

Also, sorry to all those who have to re-cast their vote in the poll, but I hope you will!
  2. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Quoting an earlier post of mine and enhancing it since it became a lot more relevant now due to the poll (new comments are colored and match section titles):

I also voted for settler towns as PvP hubs and world bosses that PvPers can fight over, so I'll expand on those as well.

Settler Towns
    I think this idea could very well fit in with my dynamic PvP event ideas in my quoted post. Again though, it's important that these towns at least have an incentive built in or have an objective worth fighting for in order to succeed. Additional PvP currency or something of that nature is a good start.

The one potential flaw I can see to this is that settlers may be disinclined to continue creating settlements if their work keeps getting taken from them or destroyed. This again becomes an issue of implementation.

World Bosses
    There's not much else for me to say here other than what others have already said. I don't think it's a key inclusion to incentivise world PvP but perhaps as a fun side-bonus to getting out in the world and whipping up trouble.

PvEers may have issue with this though, especially those who strictly raid and nothing else. Since many of these guilds are progression minded and push for server/world rankings or firsts, it's important to realize that this possibility will result in contrasting playstyles that will split the community. Raiders will not be happy that their progression is interrupted by a gang of enemy hooligans who want to harass them. The only solutions I can think of that would satisfy the progression raider crowd would kill a lot of the fun for the PvPer faction who wants to fight over world PvP bosses.

These are my ideas anyway. Feel free to build off of them and discuss.
  3. Auxiliary

Auxiliary Cupcake

I feel like a dunce for writing my views on this now that the merging of topics made my post vanish into oblivion D:
  4. Pixie

Pixie Cupcake-About-Town

It did?

That shouldn't have happened! The first poll I made was merged with the original thread, but to add a poll you need to add the first thread to the poll thread, so there was another merge. But all posts should be in this thread somewhere as far as I understand :notworthy:
    Auxiliary likes this.
  5. JoeDragon

JoeDragon Cupcake-About-Town

I love most of the Ideas in the poll. But the one that I want the most is a Player Bounty System. Not just a "Kill 10 players" type quest. But an actual system in which people acquire a bounty by engaging in World PvP activities. One that increases as he/she continues to kill players and is collected by the person hunting them who lands the killing blow.

The way SWG did this was to have the option to add your own credits to someone who killed you in PvP, or by default a small amount was added until it reached a certain amount and they showed up on the Bounty Terminals. They could then be hunted by up to 3 different Bounty Hunters who used Droids to pinpoint their location.

I think something like this could be achieved via a cooldown ability that can pinpoint the zone that the prey is in. Heck, maybe even add Bounty Hunter as a Path with its own tracking abilities.
  6. Auxiliary

Auxiliary Cupcake

My post is there, but most people skipped over it now since it got placed in the middle of the ever so famous flying mount discussion :p
  7. Inda

Inda Cupcake

Problem with the bounty system is you'll likely have people kill trading to collect bounties or just letting their friends from the other faction kill them for gold.

Flight pvp is extremely easy to get wrong. Aion tried it even without vehicles/mounts and not using an action combat system and it was still garbage. I'd rather they start without it and REALLY test it. If they are already thinking twice on it then it is clearly not a mechanic that is integrated into the core gameplay.

@Virtual On: There's really no way to prevent numbers from dominating world pvp outside of spreading out objectives/incentives and ingraining anti-zerg things like mass aoe and long aoe cc into the combat system. (Like magnet squads in WAR or DAOC mezes.) I doubt the combat will have the needed anti-zerg abilities since arena and smaller bgs are a thing, but I could be pleasantly surprised.
  8. 5TiCK

5TiCK New Cupcake

This goes along with the bounty system. What if for every certain number of enemies you kill, you get a bounty placed on your head. And for each bounty you have on you, gives more reward to the person who kills you. Of course the enemies would be able to see that you are a wanted vigilant to make things more interesting. Perhaps there will even be a bounty board that gives slight hints on where you may be or where you were last seen. Idk, just my thoughts!
  9. Drasas

Drasas Well-Known Cupcake

If we have to suffer flying mounts I'd say have the zones with the best resources for professions be "no flying zone". Key farming areas, daily quest areas, etc. If there are an abundance of typically rare resources in a zone people will fight for them. Sunwell Island was a perfect example of this.
  10. Sevvy

Sevvy Cupcake-About-Town

Penalties for getting killed would stop that. But in today's MMO, even the losers get trophies, so I doubt any kind of penalties could be implemented. Which removes the possibility of a lot of potentially awesome PvP systems from the game.
  11. Silvers

Silvers New Cupcake

So, just a small suggestion that I do not think has been mentioned yet. We already know that raids will get weekly/monthly leaderboard achievement type things, why not WPvP as well? Player kills would be tallied (probably earning more points for kills closer to your level and earning less points for each time you kill the same person to prevent farming). The player with the most points at the end of the time period earns maybe something for their house or a title or something. This could actually tie into the bounty system that keeps getting mentioned since everyone would want to try and stop the guy who is currently at the top of the leader board.
  12. Zero713

Zero713 Cupcake

I'd like to see players actually competing for something, and not only gaining recognition but rewards as well. Reward with mounts, gear, and actual control over an area. Two examples of World PVP I really enjoyed. I'll try and keep it brief.

In WOW it was a lot of fun raiding the other factions capitol city, and trying to defeat the leader. Whether I was at the AH selling stuff and seeing people making a raid group to invade the Horde city, or hanging out and seeing tons of Horde running and slaying people in the streets of Stormwind city to get to the king. The experience was awesome. There were achievements (add mounts and titles as rewards) for slaying the leaders of the capital city. Fighting off the Horde or raiding the city myself always felt awesome, and took a lot of coordination. It was always a challenge due to the volume of people in the city, and when killing the king was accomplished it actually meant something.

One of the coolest memories of an MMO I have is from SWG. In galaxies, factions could take over control of the others land and cities. I logged on just in time to see a team of imperials and I don't remember how many walkers, raid and take over the capitol city on Naboo. It was so cool, and it was something straight out of the movies. Soldiers running and firing lasers, walkers mowing people down. It was great. The imperials actually held it for sometime until the rebels were able to mount a counter strike and take the city back.

This is the type of open world combat I miss. The truly large scale battles that actually meant something, and I remember. Open world ganking is blah, and in WoW controlling the towers in BC didn't meant anything because once the player out leveled the zone, who really cared who controlled the tower. Make world pvp mean something. Make it something to be proud of, bring world pvp to the players door step.

I WANT to defend my capitol city, and I WANT to take theirs. Especially if I get a sick ass title or mount, or something from it to show off. I think this really adds to immersion as well and faction unity.
  13. Compella

Compella Cupcake

I would like some treasure chests on ~1-2 hour spawn timers that have a chance to drop a rare vanity pet / cosmetic item etc. Good memories of Stranglethorn Vale arena... 30+ ppl killing eachother lawl.
  14. Pixie

Pixie Cupcake-About-Town

I wish I could add to the poll :( But 10 is the maximum heh

We know there will be capitol cities, so hopefully you CAN do this. Even on a PvE server I never really minded it when people did, it seemed like a part of the game that was interesting enough to let it "fly" that the taxi NPC was down.

From the descriptions I've heard of warplots, they will be kind of like infiltrating the other group's "city", so one form of it will kind of be in the game, but I'm sure there are a fair few out there itching to kill Malvolio already. ;)
  15. printerpaper

printerpaper Cupcake

I think World PvP is the most important type of PvP, and I'd rather not see BGs/Arenas included on the PvP servers. I believe that every single contested zone should have elements you can control as a faction. Things like guard posts, towns, etc, should all be up for grabs. These points should provide very real benefits for the "owning" side. By taking a town, friendly npcs would spawn, and would have quests specific for the zone, while also providing acces to things like friendly vendors, trade-skills, mail, etc. Rather than take the WoW approach for a contested zone, with a town/fort for each side, a handful of contestable/capturable towns, forts should be present in these areas. Add a "logistics" bar or something, to denote control levels within the zone as the two factions take over different contestable points across the map. As the certain control levels are reached by a particular faction, more NPCs would spawn, each providing a variety of different features. For instance, An elite boss might spawn in the main town of a zone once a side hits 75% control, "locking" in that particular level of control until he is killed, while at 100% you'd see NPCs which might offer a particular quest line, or access to a particular dungeon. Other things, like higher exp, tradeskill resources, etc in contested zones will all drive players into those zones and force conflict.

The thing you don't want is a bored PvP populace. The people who do BGs as their main form of PvP are not the same personality who prefers World PvP. Without objectives, without conflict, you'll find roaming gankers looking to pick on randoms, simply because they need to fill an itch that isn't being scratched. I know I hunted newbies, deep in enemy territory in WoW, simply to force an engagement with higher level players.
  16. Kaelang

Kaelang Cupcake-About-Town

This would be cool as long as the boss' weren't raid difficulty. That would just be incredibly painful and annoying. Your guild spends a few nights learning the fight, gets it to 5%, PvP ganker guild comes and kills you all and takes a free kill.

Nah.
  17. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

That'd be part of the challenge - but I'd say not as challenging as raid bosses (though the same rewards, for risk compensation and to promote people going there)
  18. Kaelang

It wouldn't really be a challenge, it'd be a grievance.

No, not the same rewards. You'd get a tier 1 guild fighting a raid boss for loot just to get it stolen off them by 300 random members. I dislike that idea completely. Dungeon loot, maybe.
  19. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

It's not a grievance... it's pvp.

All you do to prevent steals at the last minute is to make it that as you fight the bosses you get a stacking bonus to your pvp stats, so that if you are near the end of the boss they have to fight through your massively buffed stats.

Dungeon loot would make it completely pointless, would at least have to be almost as good as raid loot.
  20. Kaelang

It's PvP if it's combat between the two groups. If you have 40 men doing a raid boss in a public area and 120 people from about 30 different guilds group up and just swarm the raid and kill them all, I don't class that as PvP.

Loot would have a lot of discussion around it, I just don't believe that players should be able to obtain raid equivalent gear by ganking a guild.