1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

World PvP Ideas with poll, join in!

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Pixie, May 16, 2013.

?

Which (up to several) of these features would YOU like to see in-game

1. Contested settler towns (with or without buffs to the zone)

59.3%
  2. World PvE bosses with worthwhile loot to create possible hotspots

72.9%
  3. Portals, "rifts" that open automatically during open world combat, accessible from your UI

6.8%
  4. Flying mounts that have combat abilities

18.6%
  5. PvP quests and Dynamic PvP events

59.3%
  6. Bounty system (wild west style!)

69.5%
  7. Open world arenas with treasure chests

50.8%
  8. Random zones producing more resources to attract players

40.7%
  9. One or two fuel station pr zone, to create PvP combat hotspots

33.9%
  10. Server with no automatic group finders and queues, so no one can portal to things

25.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

Well, you'd have other people with you helping you secure it. Or make it so that it resets when the raid wipes...

There are quite a few different ways you can make it not free gear for the gankers... I'm not even sure why you're thinking this would be the case.
  2. Kaelang

Kaelang Cupcake-About-Town

The only issue I have with open world raid boss' and PvP is the idea that members will literally grief it to the point where people who actually want to fight the boss will have to do it at a silly time when nobody is online and/or obtain people to guard the raid which isn't really easy. Who would guard a raid when they could join it..?

I understand your perspectives I just think it'd take a lot of tuning to be both fun and rewarding yet balanced in the same aspects.
  3. printerpaper

printerpaper Cupcake

Another thought I'd like to share is that World PvP needs to have a system in place, so that lower levels can damage max level players. In WoW, if a higher level tries to gank you, you have no real choice except run or stand there and die. Due to the nature of resists and armor, it is literally impossible for a lower level player to auto attack a higher level player and damage them, let alone actually cast a spell/ability and have the effect stick.

I made a thread detailing how DC Universe handled this, and it created a World PvP environment in which a group of level 5 players would be able to damage, and even kill a max level player. The balance was in the higher levels shrugging off effects faster, and having more hitpoints, and doing more damage vs lower health bars. But enough pin pricks from lowbies could easily down a higher level foe.

The one thing I didnt like was the split between pvp and pve gear at later levels. Splitting gear never only splits the community into two different instanced situations. PVE is always raiding and PVP is always BG'ing. PVE never wants to world PVP because their gear isn't made to handle it, and given enough time, PVP geared players end up dominating in World PVP vs anyone who hasn't spent months in BGs. Keeping PVE as the primary place to gear up is a good thing, it worked fine in Vanilla WoW before BGs and Arenas became the primary form of gear grinding for the PVP focused.
  4. Kaelang

Kaelang Cupcake-About-Town

I do like the idea that lower level players should be able to fight back, however the main initiative to hit level cap, for some people, is so they can dominate the lower level players. I don't know why, but this is what they enjoy doing. If level 2's can stand against level 20's then something is wrong with balancing.

I would like to see a system in place stopping grieving but without making low levels stand a chance vs high levels.
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  5. SleepyZombie

SleepyZombie New Cupcake

I just hope the open world pvp areas are not extremely limited.... So many mmos with the emphasis on arena and battleground pvp skimp on the open world pvp aspect and make it such a limited area you may as well be on a pve server.

People may hate me saying this but WoW did a good job with there open world system.... So did lineage and lineage 2, even MxO. There should be only very very very few safe zones and only at low levels.... Don't pull a SWTOR and you don't need to provide a huge incentive to kill each other. People will do it just because and that is what breeds large battles. Just my opinion
  6. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

I'm one of those folks. I know what it's like to get ganked and harassed by high levels repeatedly and ruthlessly, but I prefer that my leveling and gearing in a game mean something. Perhaps a middle solution between what WoW and DCUO did.
  7. SleepyZombie

SleepyZombie New Cupcake

I agree... I honestly think griefing and bs you take from higher levels makes what you achieve even sweeter. It is nice to struggle through the childish nature of some of the people that are higher level than you and getting to the point where you are just as strong if not stronger. People put too much emphasis on being able to fight a higher level on equal ground and they end up taking the leveling and work out of the whole game.
  8. Pixie

Pixie Cupcake-About-Town

After the big path reveal today it seems to me that several of the paths have mission types that sound like incentives for world PvP on the PvP servers. It even seems like there may be settler towns that can be contested somehow from the info in the new videos.

So it would seem we may get a few of the things mentioned in this thread, and it doesn't really seem to me like they are waiting with ALL world pvp features until post launch.
  9. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

Half of making good world pvp is the basic map design - if the maps don't support or encourage it with the way that they flow then it's not going to be as easy to setup key objectives that people are going to go do.

I really hope they have people considering all the things that small alterations in the maps can do to the game when they're making them.
  10. printerpaper

printerpaper Cupcake

To be clear, most of the time a higher level player would decimate lower levels without issue in DCU, it was just those instances where the high level attacker was a low skill griefer trying to kill PVP focused lowbies. My GF and I know PVP, and we know how to work with one another. Despite this, most of the time we got thrashed, but we usually gave them a bloody nose, and occasionally managed to get a kill. Its really only when a sizeable group of lowbies get together that the higher level player(s) get stomped (which is how it should be).

I say, let the no-skill higher levels who simply want to grief newbies die to the newbie hordes. Those who enjoy a challenge, like myself, will happily accept the higher stakes. :)