1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

World Scaling, how much will/should Wildstar have?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Miatog, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Infamouz

Infamouz Well-Known Cupcake

In WoW the zones I loved the most were Westfall because of it being the first area with a dungeon, alot of people looking for group, alot of talking and ofcourse the Van Cleef questline. STV because of the chat and the beautifull eviroment, and I somehow always loved to collect the pages of STV book. Tanaris was one of my favourites, no idea why really. Winterspring I loved because of the beautifull eviroment, but hated the quests.

Guess for me it boils down to having enough social atmosphere in the zone, quests with storyline instead of the normal "Go pick a berry from a Talbuk sh1t and bring it to me". Sad part is, Nagrand actually had that kind of a quest, so did Hellfire Peninsula. Made me wonder at times what are the blizzard developers thinking when they want the players to go dig sh1t bare handed.

I don't mind big zones at all, as long the feel of the zone is good. Feel of danger, feeling of united questing towards some bigger goal, with good side quests here and there.
    Sonntam likes this.
  2. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

The bigger the better - more zones , huge cities with settlements getting smaller and smaller the further away you go.
    That will give settlers room to grow and make the world feel big and dangerous.
    If gw2 had no zone loading screens and no teleportation , their world would be pretty much on par with what Id like to see size and settlement wise.
    LunaDra and John like this.
  3. John

John "That" Cupcake

Having to travel long distances can be annoying, but it can also be really cool and add something special to the world. I loved the Zul Farrak quest in WoW where you had to travel clear across the world to get to that altar in the Hinterlands to get the mallet to summon the boss.

That was for a level 25 dungeon before players even had mounts; it was a massive trek to get there but it really made the world come alive and feel connected. You felt like a real adventurer scouring the entire world for what you needed to help you on your expedition.
    LunaDra, Rumze and Miatog like this.
  4. Miatog

Miatog Cupcake-About-Town

I have three words for you. Shaman Totem Quests. You went all over, specially for the water one. IIRC the water one sent you to four different zones, one at a time, taking your water sample back to the barrens every time. I -LOVED- it. Quests that send you everywhere, when rare (or at the most uncommon) and done right, can be very awesome indeed.
  5. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

It was also one of the most complained of quests, especially after Allaince got shaman. Huge epic quests that make you go everywhere for optional stuff, sure. Bring on the Onyxia questchain! But for stuff essential to your class, no. There is a reason such things are all on a vendor now. Far too many cases of getting to max level and not having totems, or pets. Even the mallet for ZF (it was level 40 btw) was still in a sister zone.
  6. Alverad

Alverad Well-Known Cupcake

To me, it's not really how large the zone is, rather what content it offers. Barrens always felt dull to me, other then some wicked, random pvping, I found it extremely plain, and boring.

Now, STV, in my eyes was awesome. Everything form the jungle ambience, to one of the best towns in WoW. The redone quest lines in Cata, made it even more appealing.

A zone should be big enough for one not to accidently "leave" it, when an auto run while on the phone, but by no means huge enough to seem empty and uneventful. If you don't have the resources to fill it up and make it engaging, you're better off making it smaller.

I personally never understood the appeal of Elder Scrolls, Skyrim in prticular. What's the use of a huge world, when there are so many near "empty" spots all over the place, and it's possible to walk for 2 mins and only come across few wildlife specimen.

For me, that's waste of space.
  7. Pixie

Pixie Cupcake-About-Town

I must admit I like it when there are many zones. It's nice if they're big-ish. The games I feel did zone numbers and -size best (not counting quest variety, etc, just how many zones, how varied and how big they are) were probably Guild Wars 2 (the zone variety and size was probably my favourite aspect of that game), and Everquest 2 (I didn't play it at launch though), and Spellborn, though I also really enjoyed the zone varity and size in Rift (which by the way is the one my boyfriend mentioned as his favourite for zone variety) and WoW.

SWTOR had some good looking, nice sized zones, but the ridiculous travel between planets did take away from the variation aspect since while there was a good amount of variety from planet to planet, you were kind of "stuck" on a planet once you landed there, and if you didn't enjoy the look of the planet, you had to endure 2-3 very similar zones in a row before you got some variation again.

Defiance's one big zone got boring fast, generally I would much rather have a few load screens here and there than run around in a big area that is true to scale, with no variation. That game really taught me the importance of that "oh I reached a new zone!" feeling, because it was completely gone.
    Sonntam likes this.
  8. Goatrek

Goatrek New Cupcake

Stranglethorn Vale is by a pretty large margin my favourite MMO zone ever. The way it naturally encourages world PvP along with alot of questing. The arena, fishing event and the book quest. :inlove:
    And the music is sooo iconic. If wildstar has anything similar I'll be very happy about it. :)
    Alverad likes this.
  9. MrDreadful

MrDreadful Creepy Cupcake

Yeah, I don't think you could have played WoW and not have some sort of memories from STV. Hell, I was so proud when I got my fishing hat! And all the pirates, of course. I still have the place mapped out in my mind (though I didn't play any Cata content). The nostalgia!
  10. Thaylin

Thaylin New Cupcake

Personally I like a huge world where there are lots of active spots to kill/quest and lots of empty spots to move around in. In addition you dont have to have a large amount of travel options. In terms of worlds I think EQ1 was one of the best designed setups. You had very populated zones like Guk and then you had the Karanas which had stuff. Oddly the Karanas could be more deadly because things like Griffins, Giants and other things would catch you off guard.

Maybe I am just nostalgic for a good Sandbox MMO. I was hoping this would be it, but I am reading it is themeparked.
  11. Miatog

Miatog Cupcake-About-Town

I do understand that. There's even a BIG part of me that understands and even agrees with them taking out class quests to replace them with the weapon and hat quests they have now. But I still miss the old class quests and I hope that Wildstar can offer something similar.

As for atunement quests, IMO you should only require ONE person to NEED it. They can be awesome and add a huge amount of lore to the raids, but when you need everyone to do them it becomes a chore.

But this is a conversation for another topic *shoots the bunny and covers up the trail*

This isn't so much a size issue as having stuff in your path. You can be 3 steps from the boarder but running into a wall. You can also be on a phone for so long that had nothing been in your way, you could have run across all of Kalimdor.

I'd like to know how you pulled that off, I can't go 10 feet without something trying to attack me in Skyrim, and I love how the world has lots of random <REDACTED> all around it, that you only find by random exploring or looking up a guide.

I'd rather avoid loading screens, they can give me new zones without a loading screen...unless I'm changing land masses of course. Going from Kali to EK to Northrend should all have loading screens, from from Durotar to Barrens, no.

Defiance was trying for a different feel than most games out there. It was important for them to do no scaling, it had to be the right size because of the way they were mixing it with the show.

The single zone thing could have worked better for them if they had mixed it up a bit more. Look at San Fran, huge difference there. The second area of the game had farm lands but other wise it looked like the rest of the game. But if we had the same kind of variety that going to San Fran gave us, it would gone over better IMO.

From what I've heard they're aiming for a mix, part sandbox part themepark.
  12. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

They should make many mountains like in Skyrim so it is difficult to traverse and enjoyable at the same time. Some areas should be bigger than the others but not more than twice the size and normal size should be similar to WoW areas size. They should make some areas to have vertical components and not just be wide horizontally. IMO
  13. Woke

Woke Cupcake

Doesn't chain quests that lead into other zones, have pretty much nothing to do with the Zone Scale? I actually enjoy these chain quests, but I feel this another topic.

As far as the Attunement, this is another topic but I couldn't let you get away with that comment.:down: I am pretty sure they have talked a little about this being implemented in some 40 mans and I personally love it. Completely getting rid of it or needing only one person to get attuned sounds like catering to lazy people or simplifying the game. This isn't a hardcore vs. casuals topic, it simply is "I am to lazy, give me my cake." This is a downward spiral that leads to what WoW is at now, where nobody wants to put in any game time and they want all the same rewards.

It is probably going to be something like 75% ThemePark and 25% Sandbox. Simply by the fact they are going with Gear Progression > Normalized Gear.
  14. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

ANTI GRAVITY HORSES BY PROTOSTAR

[​IMG]
    Gronky and Miatog like this.