1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

World wide release?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Guinn, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Guinn

Guinn New Cupcake

Will WildStar release worldwide at same date?

i remember WoW europe was released 3 months after the WoW- US
  2. Smedly

Smedly Cupcake

Not sure, it depends on how Wildstar are handling it. Will have to wait and see! :confused:
  3. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

As far I remember from various sources they were saying that game will be released in both US and EU the same time. But my memory is not always accurate.
    Sapien and Guinn like this.
  4. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

This!
    Only Asia will have to wait longer ;) (don't know about other places except from these 3)

Reason why Asia will have to wait longer:
    Asia will get a different art style, because the current artstyle doesn't suit what the general Asian population want in their games.
    But it's good enough for the US/EU public :D
    Sonntam and Guinn like this.
  5. Guinn

Guinn New Cupcake

I hope u are right :D, otherwise its going to be loooong 3 months :p
  6. BlueDragon18

BlueDragon18 Cupcake-About-Town

Hmmm. I've gone thru the transcripts of all the interviews I've seen, and all the dev posts I could find, here and on the WS site. No mention of this. Where did you see it?
  7. Katu_Kath

Katu_Kath Robot Cupcake

its a little more complicated than "what they want". there are certain censorship laws in china that prohibit showing of bones sticking out of flesh and the like (its probably more specific, its an example), so carbine would have to alter some of its art assets to fix this (like the mordesh). I doubt a company would alter its entire art design just so one area of people would like it better, it would be a HUGE undertaking.
    Sonntam and Kataryna like this.
  8. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Go watch the Korean interviews :p
    Yup that's 1 thing, but also they wanna change the entire artstyle to accostume it more to the Asian wishes (as they said).
    Ofcourse this includes the exclusion of things like ''skulls'' for the Chinese etc.

But my statement still stands! The Chinese don't want skulls in their games so Carbine will change it.....you may say it's their belief......yup, that's what they want! Tradition and beliefs are all about wanting to keep them (again the ''want'').

And about any cencorship = what the goverment doesn't want! So it's all about ''what they want'', but it covers a bigger area then you thought that little sentence would cover ;)
  9. Nearo

Nearo Cupcake

Too lazy to look into it more, but I'm calling bs on a total style change. Carbine wouldn't make enough profit to have to make everything twice for all new stuff. Sure, some less bones and what have you, but not something that'd affect most enemies in the game. 'Specially since they were pretty focused on the style they did set, they didn't want some animu or realism or whatever else.
    I recall another interview mentioning the possibility of making Korean W* more "grindy" though, so that's another reason Asia wouldn't get it as soon, or at least KR.
  10. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

Considering that half of WoW's playerbase is Asia, I kinda wonder how you come to the conclusion that they wouldn't make enough.
    Sonntam likes this.
  11. BlueDragon18

BlueDragon18 Cupcake-About-Town

Gladly, if I could find any. I've just spent quite a bit of time doing searches on the web in general and on YouTube in particular. Nothing that I can find about interviews discussing Korea at all much less regionalization for Asia.
    Can you point me somewhere? (Not out the door, thank you very much.)
  12. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Well normally I get my korean info from: http://kr.plaync.com/
    But they have nothing on it.......

I don't know if he says anything about it in this one:
    But it's too long for me to watch again :p

Also if you wanna see Gaffney on the beach:
    Just because he's cool and talks about Taiwan ;)

But i've read it somewhere......don't really wanna go ''check'' it out once again.....I mean....it can take a long time which I don't find it worth it just to make sure you trust me :D

Also the places you look ''WS site'' and ''Dev posts'' well it isn't in them!
    It's said during their ''korean time'', find articles about that and you'll find it! Don't go searching for the English things....it'll take too long :sleep:
  13. Gunghoe

Gunghoe Cupcake-About-Town

In the press event in front of the Korean audience they said they will stylize some of the classes a bit different. Such as the granock, they do not like how inhuman the character looks.

Some awesome stuff planned for warplots, you can get inside of a mech suit. To me that is epic!!!

They talk about how they want this game to be appealing to a wide audience not just the west. They mentioned many other MMOs that they are western stylized, they think this pixar/ratchet and clank style is different enough, from a game like WoW, and Guild Wars. For the Asian market.

on top of all this, the game play in the background has the most detailed look of some of the farther areas in the game, Snow area, the Awesome flower area, dreadune, and the main area they always show with all the loftight in the air.

BlueDragon18 likes this.
  14. MadBlue

MadBlue Cupcake-About-Town

Oddly enough, it isn't based on a cultural taboo, at all. It's simply the Chinese government censoring images in order to "promote a healthy and harmonious online game environment," and it's fairly new. It doesn't seem to apply to other media, though. The Chinese Pirates of the Caribbean posters have skulls on them, for example. But yeah, if you want to market a game in China, there are hoops you have to jump through.
    Sonntam and BlueDragon18 like this.
  15. Borz

Borz Cupcake-About-Town

That's mostly not true.
    Whole no-skeletons is really old, and 'fairly new' are changes that lift those skeleton bans.
    Much more famous than WoW, is MTG redrawing plenty of their cards, as skeletons and demons are very common theme.
    For WoW, most of issues are part of internal bickering and creating hoops for them to jump, to show who has power here.

Just take a look at list of things (movies, games, etc) banned in China, they can ban or require change for regional version for all different and weird reasons. As long as WS does not promote democracy, it could slip trough with skeletons and such unnoticed, at least untill it grows big enough that China can show world who's the boss, bossing around Big Game.
  16. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

Things have changed since wows release with the rise of Online distribution.
  17. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

Come on dream, I thought you would know better than that..
  18. MadBlue

Are there any Korean MMOs that even let you play an unattractive non-human race? I wonder what they thought of the Charr when GW2 was first marketed in Korea. Looking at a chart of WoW's race popularity, over 50% of US players play Humans or one of the Elf races. Only 4% play Dwarves or Trolls, but for some, those are their favorite races. It would be a shame to pretty-up the Granock for Korea just because it wouldn't be as popular as the other races. Somebody's going to want to play a big ugly slab of rock, as opposed to this. ;)

Yeah, Pixar is insanely popular in Japan. I think a game with similar artwork would go over well here. The Chua and Aurin would certainly be popular.
  19. MadBlue

How is what I said "mostly untrue"? I don't mean "fairly new" as in "last year". I mean "fairly new" as in "not based on some thousand-year-old traditional cultural taboo prohibiting the depiction of skeletons". One person's "fairly new" is another person's "really old". ;)

Although regarding WoW, the Chinese version originally had skeletons at launch, and the bones were covered up in 2007, much to the dismay of Chinese gamers.

I just wanted to address the internet rumor about the "cultural taboo". I know China can and does ban all kinds of things and why they do it. This just didn't seem like the proper place to get into a political discussion about it.
  20. Nearo

Nearo Cupcake

Haha, certainly wouldn't claim to have known that- but then there's things like the fact that Wildstar is in fact not WoW, or even as close to it as lots of MMOs, which admittedly might have pretty high asian playerbases too, wouldn't doubt, but even then- to the extent to make a completely different change of style? Every little patch up of something new and not only would you have to make a parallel for it, but maintain the separation between the two with different patches, etc. I mean yeah, it's not like it'd all be one person, or even a limited few handling that all- But I dunno, seems to me like you'd have to be getting more than half the profit to make every new thing have two versions- Of course factoring in that even if that didn't happen to such an extent there wouldn't be /that/ many players who didn't play it simply because it wasn't restyled? Ah well though, by no means can I claim to be knowledgeable on the matter, if I was in Asia I certainly wouldn't care to that degree. Plus W*'s style is already rad.
    Rather then them not making enough from Asia- a matter of them making enough more than without, proportional to the amount of work.