1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

WorldDefense channel

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Kalmander, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Kalmander

Kalmander Well-Known Cupcake

Will Wildstar have something like a worlddefense channel? Those not familiar with it, it is an automated channel that will notify when there is an allied city/camp under attack. It is very useful to promote world PVP.

And adding on to that, could we also have a WorldAttack channel? It would work similar to worlddefense, but would tell you where your faction is attacking. So if you are close by, you may want to drop in on the fun.

Of course, they would be toggleable, so you can turn them off if you are not in the PVP mood.
    Lethality, Inukeu, Larynx and 3 others like this.
  2. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

That'd be pretty nice to have actually.

Also interested to know.
  3. Phakz

Phakz Cupcake-About-Town

World Defense is needed idk about World Attack but that could be interesting though
  4. Kalmander

Kalmander Well-Known Cupcake

I think it would be good to promote PVP as well. I mean, you may be walking 10 minutes away from the mechari capital, the "Robotic Omniscient Fabrication Laboratory" (ROFL), and there may be 200 people attacking it, and causing havoc, and having lots of fun! and you have no idea that it is even going on because there are no notifications. That would be pretty sad, and a terrible opportunity lost...
    Afrotech likes this.
  5. Afrotech

Afrotech Cupcake-About-Town

This is an excellent idea!

My guild [DCL] at the time had a blast with this back in the vanilla WoW days we pretty much stayed locked on world defense channel this alone kept us entertained for hours.

Sun Rock Retreat, Splintertree Post, Tarren Mill all it would take is one lonely distress call on the world defense channel and 15 minutes later you had a full scale battle with 40 or 50 people.

Yes please I would love to see this make a comeback. :up:
  6. Whatley

Whatley Cupcake

I loved World Defense/Local Defense. While not always sporting, it was fun to keep a running log on chat of where enemy players where, I knew people who wouldn't even attack, just call out if they saw anyone. But then again in the major raids everyone seemed to panic and revert to General Chat for coordination.

I think it depends on the specific Server community to make it popular, but the option would be great.
    Afrotech likes this.
  7. Chooby

Chooby Cupcake

My guild is focused on keeping contested zones clean of threats. I hope there's a channel implemented.
  8. Clockwerk

Clockwerk Cupcake

Yes please ! Carbine i beg you add this little feature
  9. Cowboy

Cowboy Cupcake-About-Town

I always enjoyed the world defense channels. A few friends and I would often go to cities and kill a few guards. We liked seeing how long it would take before we had an all out war going. World pvp is a must in MMOs and defense channels definitely promote it.
  10. Dwel

Dwel Cupcake

This is one of those things that if it's not a release feature, the community will do it instead (custom channel).

I agree that it's something neat to have around however.
  11. Nurdrasch

Nurdrasch New Cupcake

Yes please, to both.

'The Mor'Shan Rampart is Under Attack!'
  12. Clockwerk

Clockwerk Cupcake

Dear carbine
    We need a statement nowwww :)!
  13. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

Honestly this was one of the best instigators of world PvP, more so than any "objective" that was laid out... you were fighting for pride and for fun, not rewards.
    Afrotech likes this.
  14. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

I'd actually like to have them have enemy troops attacking your cities, makes it much more entertaining when you see things fighting (be it other players or npcs).
  15. Afrotech

Afrotech Cupcake-About-Town

When you hear a cry for help on the world defense channel its one thing to come lend a hand if you are in the area but how many people here are the type to drop what they are doing and travel clear across the game world to defend their faction or territory?

I guess the answer to this question will depend on just how much the factions hate each other :D and this could very from server to server.

I know a lot of people have argued for cross faction communication, but I think a huge facilitator of the hatred between say the Horde and Alliance for example was that we could not communicate and thus created an atmosphere of distrust and anxiety that almost always lead to intrinsic violence. :D
  16. Calsic

Calsic Cupcake-About-Town

^QFT

I like the worlddefense channel idea. Two changes that I always thought would be good are:

- have it toggled on by default

- have it colour coded by threat level so that you can tell the difference between one guy walking past an outpost and a group actually attacking that outpost. It's frustrating to chase across the map and find nothing at all. Pretty soon you stop chasing across the map.

Not sure how useful the worldattack channel would be though. When people are trying to round up a force they always announce it in zone chat.