1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Worste thing a company has done during a beta

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by BrokSamson, Apr 4, 2013.

1. BrokSamson

BrokSamson Cupcake-About-Town

I recently had a few fun beta/alpha experiences and was just wondering what drives everyone else nuts. Here is the number 1 things that make me really angry when trying to test an MMO.

1. Lack of support/communication. Don't get me wrong I understand there are bugs, and things won't work, that is the whole point. However if there is a game ending bug and there is no response to a 100 post thread of people having the issue after a month....that is just silly. When we test we get something cool, but if the company doesn't use our testing and communicate it really feels like we are wasting our time. This happened with the Defiance alpha. There were a few builds that just wouldn't work for a lot of people and we got 0 response. I was fine with it not working...but not with no response for a month. It made me feel like testing was kind of pointless and after hours...a full reinstall (os) and trying it on another machine I just gave up and waited...and nothing came. Really turned me off of the game.

Anyone else have something that has driven them nuts, and we hope Carbine won't do?
  2. Simokon

Simokon Cupcake-About-Town

Communication is also a big one for me, asking for feedback but providing none in return has really irritated me a few times when I was testing a game.
    Joukehainen likes this.
  3. Glacius

Glacius Cupcake-About-Town

Funny that you mention a game ending bug without a fix. During the beta and launch of swtor there was a bug that occurred mainly with the lightsaber classes where you would activate an ability, your character would go through the animation, but your attack wouldn't go off. In fact, it would happen so frequently that combat was horribly clunky. Pvp was a joke with it.

There was a massive amount of feedback during the beta as well as post-launch regarding it, including huge threads with videos showing it. That was one of the reasons why I quit swtor because the devs weren't listening and assured everyone during beta that everything was going to be alright. I believe that EA had something to do with it as it was apparent swtor was released when it wasn't ready. Same thing happened with Warhammer.

I really hope that Carbine won't make these kinds of mistakes. If there is something that can ruin a game it is unpolished gameplay. A smooth combat system is an imperative feature, and not surprisngly, WoW has one of, if not the most, responsive combat systems.
    Dnevnoy, Khrusky and Joukehainen like this.
  4. Titbiscuit

Titbiscuit Cupcake

Worst thing they can do is refuse to communicate/listen with/at the community.
    Lsya likes this.
  5. Rai

Rai Cupcake-About-Town

Not being able to invert the Y-axis on the FFXIV! :down:
    Shaigh and BrokSamson like this.
  6. Lgr

Lgr Cupcake

Also, the 2nd worse thing that a company can do, is releasing a beta just on (discontinued) weekends, it makes the game lack luster when it comes out, you just dont enjoy it as much, GW2 is a good example
  7. Katu_Kath

Katu_Kath Robot Cupcake

i think the worse thing a company can do is make promises they cant keep. Dont hype up something that is really cool and not release it for a year (looking at you SWTOR, about the color matching for armor). it was a minor thing, yeah, but it was something I was looking forward to. this way I would have all matching armor for my trooper, and not be a rainbow trooper with red stripped leggings, a blue striped chest piece, green boots and a yellow helm, it was just, awful. I think carbine is doing fine right now, with letting us know exactly what will be in game, and what they would like for a future update.

the short of it is that I dont want to go into beta, bring something up, and be told it will be in launch to see it a year later.
  8. Joukehainen

Joukehainen Well-Known Cupcake

Ignoring critique against the game's systems by allowing fanboyism to run rampant in the closed beta forums. This went on in a certain MMO in whose closed beta I participated. Any time I or someone else made a critique (on a serious issue) it was flamed to death by several pages of "go back to wow"-style comments (despite the critiques not being related to WoW-whatsoever). Mods did nothing about it as far as I could see.

Once released, the main complaints about the game were the exact things people were complaining about during closed beta. Nothing was done about it (tbh the flaws were so fundamental probably not much could have been done...) and needless to say the game isn't doing too great...
    Khrusky likes this.
  9. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

Trion when Rift was released.

I didn't have a fancy shmancy mouse back then and I used the mousewheel up-down functions to bind 2 additional actionbar slots in WoW. This wasn't possible in Rift. I made several threads asking to be able to bind the mousewheel to the actionbar and got lots of support but to no avail, as if it was some super hard work for the programmers to do.

Meh, I don't care now. I have a naga and I can do anything with it.

And ofcourse SWTOR. I asked countless times for Macros, Dual Spec and LFG but noooo. Eventually they added LFG but it was already too late, the game was dead in the water. If only they <REDACTED>ing added features that are pretty much baseline and expected of quality MMOs nowadays.
  10. Joukehainen

Also, this:

:B
    Vembumees, gozu and Chomag like this.
  11. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

I don't know if this is a 'mistake' per se, but it's just that most MMOs don't release beta early enough that they can actually make major changes to existing systems. Usually they make minor changes/tweaks and stress test.

Carbine seems serious about their willingness to adjust even major systems in response to beta feedback :p. I'm not saying that they'll need to, but just the fact that they've made it clear that they have the commitment to do so and that beta is being launched early enough to allow them to do that is really impressive :p. They made their commitment known all the way back in 2011 when they announced the game AND had the Alpha build playable on the show floor. :p
    Shaigh, ruff_ethereal and Joukehainen like this.
  12. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

"Farming is not tolerated in this game..."

What the epic <REDACTED> ?! LMAO. Good riddance.
  13. gozu

gozu New Cupcake

head start on SWTOR was also a joke but thats not really beta related per say.
  14. Inferiae

Inferiae Cupcake

I know these feels about Defiance, the entire community moaned about the ugly characters models and total lack of customisation, yet done nothing about it, I respect Trion for attempting a show tie-in but that particular game needed another 4-6 months in the beta oven.
  15. SirRobin

SirRobin Cupcake-About-Town

What drives me nuts in Closed Beta's?

Communicating:
    • The lack of communication is a big thing. Give us some direction! Where should we, as testers, be focusing our efforts? What are the big issues on the plate? What is still open to change? What is, basically, "locked?" Use your Beta Forums, don't ignore them.
    • In-game, use MOTD to let testers know what's new. What you would like them to focus on. Etc...
    Deleting:
    • Also... Don't "delete" threads in the Beta Forum. If its a topic you've decided is closed then by all means say so and lock the thread. If you get a repeat offender, who obsesses over an issue, then ban and boot his ass. Better to let legal deal with any leaks afterwards with cease-and-desist's than waste mod and dev time dealing with a wannabe digital Che Guevara.
    • However, when you start deleting threads it sends the entirely wrong message to your community. It looks more like you are hiding or denying something instead. Not an impression you want to give to a bunch of volunteers.
    Lying:
    • Please oh please do not start this Carbine. We are volunteers. We know you've devoted years of your lives to making WildStar. We know that can lead to some folks being touchy and territorial. We know that developers can start, well, "believing" their own hype. However once you start "exaggerating," to put it nicely, it rarely ends well.
    • We will probably find out and when you only get one chance to make a good first impression? Well, the last thing you want is your lies coming back to haunt you.
    Veckna, Jord and Khrusky like this.
  16. Joukehainen

Agreed about the hype. Don't hype and try to avoid catch-phrases and taglines, especially vague ones (like try not to throw "play your way" around too much...)

This isn't so much about beta as an opinion on general pre-release marketing. If I saw the word "story!" one more time from Bioware I swear...

And yeah, not lying is always good. Not cramming the word "epic" into every sentence, etc. If everything is epic, nothing is.
  17. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

The worst mistake a company can make in an alpha or beta test is not inviting me. >.> <.<

No but as people said, communication is pretty crucial. Developers need to not only listen to their testers and communicate to the testers what they want the focus to be on weekly or even on a daily basis, they also need to make it clear to their testers when an issue needs to be dropped.

Sometimes no matter how much you want something out of a game, it's just goin to be in no matter what. It's around this time that a developer needs to be clear to the testers complaining that the only feedback that's helpful is how to make what they are talking about better or work for them. All too often developers don't express this, and people just keep crying "remove it!" until they give up or their thread gets locked.
    Dragnog likes this.
  18. Yushi

Yushi Cupcake

You know those hardcore super fanboys, that whatever you throw at them they'll enjot it and praise it? Yeah, try to keep those at a minimum THANKS! (Refering to my little TOR holiday in Atlanta for a weekly playtesting and only flooded by super fanboys who only gave it praise. And which made all my criticizing next to nothing)
  19. Acidblood

Acidblood Cupcake-About-Town

I think my main gripes have pretty much been covered, but #1 is definitely honest communication. This doesn't mean the Devs have to tell us everything (they are allowed their arcane secrets), but if something can't or won't be done say so. Explaining 'why' also helps a lot, it doesn't have to be your life story, and not everyone is going to agree with the 'why', but a simple reasoned explanation goes a long way.

To their credit I think Carbine has already started this process with the AMAAs and threads like the World PvP one on this very forum, so thank you, and keep it up.
  20. BrokSamson

BrokSamson Cupcake-About-Town

Haha I know a few people that will straight drop a game based on that.