1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Worste thing a company has done during a beta

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by BrokSamson, Apr 4, 2013.

1. BrokSamson

BrokSamson Cupcake-About-Town

What about specific incidents though? I had the one with Defiance, but nothing else really specific that stands out. Someone has to have some horror stories!
  2. FatedTitan

FatedTitan New Cupcake

Fixing issues is one of my biggest pet peeves about Alpha/Beta testing.

I participated in RaiderZ Alpha, CBT, and OBT. There were issues in Alpha that are still present this day and the game is Live. The problem is that we told the developers over and over again about these problems, and they said they would fix them, but they still happen.
  3. Simokon

Simokon Cupcake-About-Town

I would but NDA, damn you NDA!
    BrokSamson likes this.
  4. rivalcycle971

rivalcycle971 Cupcake

It's pretty horrible when companies don't let me into their closed betas. Don't make the same terrible mistake, Carbine!

But seriously, as others have mentioned, it's all about communication. Whether it be the devs asking the testers to look at certain things or the devs just dismissing tester feedback.
    Simokon likes this.
  5. Scelestic

Scelestic Cupcake

I have to agree with this, especially riding the heels of Defiance, of which I was tester - and feedback was mostly pointless. It was all hype-Beta/Alpha, or atleast it felt like it, never saw interaction between the Devs and the Testers, or big bugs being fixed in Patches.
  6. Avenged

Avenged Cupcake-About-Town

Swtor had the largest number of major changes that has ever happened in an MMO. I still have no idea why they spent all that time changing the original station to the giant imperial fleet. Cover was completely and utterly changed because people thought it was too difficult... It was awesome, people did not know how to use it, and half of dungeon mobs did not even drop loot 3 weeks prior to the game launching. They removed PVP gear almost entirely which actually gave people that wanted to level in that manner a level playing field to PVE players, and they increased number of guards, and how much damage they did in all major zones. They basically care beared the game based on what a fan base that was 1/3 non mmo players had asked for, and then people wonder why the game failed as an mmo overall. So many more things. Just awful.
    ruff_ethereal likes this.
  7. Vembumees

Vembumees Cupcake-About-Town

If you play korean games in NA/EU servers then don't expect any of your feedback to pass or go anywhere near priority.

Overall, yeah, the developers should just communicate to the public. Whatever communication is fine, people would at least like to get confirmation that developers are reading what they are saying. Not forum mods, but actual developers. What I personally would like to see is that each lead developer at least spends 1 hour each week reading and replying to people in the forums. That's usually more common in smaller projects and that's also one reason they have a loyal playerbase, however unpopular or small the game is.

I also agree that pure fanboys who don't have anything bad to say about your game should just be ignored. Praising/fanboyism doesn't give anything, (constructive) criticism leads to improvement.
  8. BrokSamson

BrokSamson Cupcake-About-Town

You know, I don't think I have ever been in a beta where they set a goal for a week, or anything like that. It always felt like "go play the game and let us work on our servers".
  9. Einzo

Einzo Cupcake

"Don't give a damn attitude": Bugs reported to the developers during Alpha and Beta but yet they were not fixed before the launch of the game. The developers simply launched the game with full of bugs. It is not like the bugs were not reported before the launch, they were reported but the developers simply don't give a damn.

Hint: A new game (MMOFPS) that launched on April 2nd.
  10. Zybak

Zybak Cupcake-About-Town

Communication and willingness to change things. SWTOR just didn't communicate with what they were doing and people got discouraged. If you tell people what you're working on they're more than likely to give you a chance/extra time.
  11. Avenged

Avenged Cupcake-About-Town

Sup Zybak. Galvatorex brought me to this game, and said you were roaming around as well. It is awesome to see some upper end pvp players here.

Some of the stuff bioware did they were vocal about. They still gave no reasons though.
  12. Zybak

Zybak Cupcake-About-Town

:D
  13. Lyas Tyrell

Lyas Tyrell Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah the thing that gets me really bummed over a game is that when problems are found all they do is talk louder about the stuff they did right. SWTOR had great story. I KNOW I HEAR YOU BIOWARE SHUT UP.

I am not going to level ANOTHER character to 50, even though it only took me 2 weeks. Make me some stuff to do at cap ffs.

Beta especially that is important. The point is to find the flaws. Why don't you show us everything you can when it comes to bugs. Show us what priority those bugs are, tell us if you can't recreate it in testing, tell us if YOU think it's working as intended and why. It'll get you better feedback.
    Joukehainen likes this.
  14. Rai

Rai Cupcake-About-Town

Well, I'm one of them. I'm seriously not wired to do this inverted, and come to think of it (and Googling to verify), the X-axis was flipped as well! :alien:
  15. Dragnog

Dragnog Cupcake-About-Town

I think for me the worst thing that a company has done in terms of Beta is starting their Beta too close to their release date and using it as a marketing tool.

The second worst thing that companies do is not give clear testing parameters and recognize/promote useful feedback. In most businesses even with user acceptance testing (which basically is what beta testing is) you will provide test cases, why does this not happen in the gaming industry?

The third worst mistake companies can make is not managing expectation and meeting or beating expectation that you have set.

We as players can be our own worst enemies though, we need to be better Beta testers if we hope for a better game.
    Joukehainen likes this.
  16. Veckna

Veckna Well-Known Cupcake

Not giving a damn about feedback/ignoring it all (FFXIV I'm looking at you). As Dragnog says using beta as a marketing tool rather than any form of testing isn't the greatest approach either.

Most other betas haven't been that bad, alphas have been far better but then there's a lot less feedback to trawl through and generally it's laid out in a manner far easier for the devs to work with (ie not a 'game sux I r not buyin it' style).

In contrast to the OP I thought Trion were amazing with their responses and attempts to react to feedback in Rift, if anything they took it a bit too far listening to the crowd of people who came with open beta and breaking a lot of working stuff as they attempted to cater to the clueless masses.

There's two sides to every story, if you give well reasoned feedback with thoughtful suggestions on improvements along with any pros/cons you can think of then you're likely to have far more chance of getting a response/getting your feedback passed up the chain.
    People might be giving accurate feedback but without additional information it's not good feedback.

Example:
    Combat feels clunky.
    Accurate feedback from a player but useless to the devs as it doesn't give them anything to work on or help to fix it.

Combat feels clunky because when using skills I am locked into the animation for the entire skill which makes it hard to react. Allowing us to cancel skill animations or them not locking the player in place would make the combat feel smoother and more responsive.
    This would be more useful as it explains why you feel the combat is clunky and gives a possible solution.

Not saying that will guarantee you a response of course but it should improve your chances of getting your issue looked at.
    Also always try to keep feedback contained to similar threads - a well ordered forum with 20 threads on separate issues is far easier to find information on that a forum with 200 threads covering those same 20 issues. You see this a lot when games go from alpha->beta->open beta the forums explode due to people all wanting to be heard themselves but not wanting to spend 10 minutes or so looking to see if their problem has already been covered.

Lol sorry off topic ramble detected again....that's my cue to get coffee and shut up.
    Shaigh and Dragnog like this.
  17. Joukehainen

Joukehainen Well-Known Cupcake

This. This is pretty much how the vast majority of beta testing works nowadays. They're not genuinely looking for feedback most of the time, they're just marketing it, which is ofc the wrong approach.

And giving clear testing parameters as you mention is extremely important to that, otherwise you get 100 different opinions on 100 different things and it's not helping you as a developer tweak the game.
  18. Coblago

Coblago New Cupcake

I can't remember what game I was beta testing, but I do remember there was a button at the bottom of the UI for bug reports. When you clicked it, you had to answer a few questions about the situation and you could click the screenshot button to automatically include a screenshot of what you were looking at.

Bug report button with screenshots. Brilliant!
    Gardengnome likes this.
  19. VooDoo

VooDoo Cupcake-About-Town

I've seen some pretty drastic changes in beta, but I never looked at them as particularly bad or anything like that. I guess because I sort of expect drastic changes being made in beta from time to time?

Though, one thing comes to mind. I alpha tested a game called "Wish" about 10 years ago (before WoW) All was going great, it was a sandbox game, excellent crafting and had an Ultima 7 feeling about it. We just started testing the "dynamic content" system which, honestly was revolutionary when they decided to cancel the game. This fell almost around the same time World of Warcraft was released and was cancelled because they projected they wouldn't get enough subscribers to sustain the game.

Given that the dynamic events were very GM scripted and lead, I could only imagine this sort of system was impracticable and costly, even if it was a hell of a lot of fun. I never experienced anything like it before that, and theres definitely not been anything to come since then similar to that experience. Such a shame
  20. Joukehainen

Joukehainen Well-Known Cupcake

GW2 has that :)