1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Worste thing a company has done during a beta

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by BrokSamson, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Eliat_kuni

Eliat_kuni Cupcake

Bioware/SWTOR beta testing was not that bad. They were just way over their head. Anybody read the article at this year GDC and would know that Bioware being more communicative with the tester would not have change one bit the final product. They had too much money at the start and put too much staff on a system that could not handle the load. They put 4 month of their best programmer on the auction house. This is pretty much why some alpha bug still is in release because they are bigger thing to do. They also they falter in their vision had the end. Because of their inefficiency and overestimation of the work they were scrambling to save the ship instead of polishing the game.
    I think a beta should just to tweak a little bit the mechanics and find bugs. Do we really need a lot of communication for that? Beta should be 2-4 month before launch, can they really create a new system or overhaul a major one 2-4 month release. Like I said it took 4 month to set up a simple auction house for BIOWARE. Be afraid when they start to change major thing in the Beta this means they have lost confidence and are trying to please the consumer/shareholder.
    You can see game as making shampoo and having you're marketer telling you what the majority of people want or you can see it as art and cater the game to the creator. I know this is both extreme but I see game more as art then just a product, and I think the creator should just listen minimally to us the consumer.
    I love the x-server dungeon finder solution they input, minimal change to the system they already design/program. This would have been a big sign that they don't know what they want if they had told us they were scrapping the system to replace with something else completely.

The perfect beta could not save a bad design game.
    Vyver likes this.
  2. Coblago

Coblago New Cupcake

GW2 has a lot of things I adore about MMOs.
    Joukehainen likes this.
  3. Roland Daemon

Roland Daemon Cupcake-About-Town

Worst thing they could do for us is not listen to our feedback. Yeah, there's gonna be alot of crappy feedback, but they need to be aware that there's feedback that truly needs to happen. Quality of life is a good thing in MMO's.. it helps keep people there :)
    Aheadache likes this.
  4. Dragnog

Dragnog Cupcake-About-Town

I don't necessarily agree with this. It is very dependent on the development model that the team is taking. In Carbine's case where they have stated that they have a very iterative method I would expect to see a much longer beta going for probably 6 to 8 months and possibly longer. Like you said things need time to develop and if significant changes do need to be made then we may see this extended further.

The other thing is actually giving people a chance to test things. When you are reliant on the public to give you feedback not all of them are going to be able to give you feedback as quickly as you as the developer would want.

I don't necessarily believe that a company has lost sight of their vision if they make large changes in beta. Like I said before it is dependent of the development model that the software developers are using.
    Khrusky likes this.
  5. SirRobin

SirRobin Cupcake-About-Town

I am often concerned about the "length" of Closed Betas. While F&F is a good way to get a taste of the public's appetite for your product. I personally don't think anything can beat a few hundred, and then few thousand, volunteers jumping in. We can end up using the mechanics and features in ways the devs never imagined. Exposing weaknesses, and strengths, they never knew the design had.

The less time the volunteers have? The less time there is to tweak the design.
    Khrusky likes this.
  6. atom

atom Cupcake-About-Town

1.) Listening to the squeaky, uneducated wheel. - Seriously, the masses are stupid. They can't look beyond their own gaming experience to see the wider picture and lack the knowledge of design and development to articulate a worthwhile response. Find those in the community with a background, with an education, with experience, with something more than "I play games and work part time so I spend 14 hours gaming" and use them as your sounding board. Some of the stupidest ideas and implementations came from listening to the masses. Don't do it.
  7. Rivele

Rivele Cupcake

there is two sides to this, it is listening to your fans.

first way is listening to a small amount of people or group trying to figure out what is the best thing and changing your game based upon it depending on what style you want to go for. lvling be it verticle or horizontal, or if it is geared for pvp or pve more.

also if there should be a dedicated healer or not, in an mmo i believe there should be.

second is listening to the majority especially the people who do not play as much and are ore casual. a game should not be dumbed down or made easier/shorter b/c a group does not have as much time. it teaches you that you can get a reward for the minimal amount of work you put in.

another peeve i have is saying your going to balance something like a character or item and you tweak it to make others happy but if in the end you listen to the crowd then you remove it so you don't have to deal with it.
  8. Lsya

Lsya Cupcake-About-Town

That sums it up for me as well.
  9. Rawhide

Rawhide Cupcake

Once there was a game named Wildstar. They started beta and I didn't get an invite.

Worst thing ever. :)
  10. Gardengnome

Gardengnome New Cupcake

I think Rifts was set up that way. Been in a <REDACTED> ton of open betas only was selected for one closed beta. Funny thing I used to be in the software industry as a QA/Tester.. I used to do for a living. I never get invited to a closed beta sadly. Even in the open betas if I find a bug I make sure I can reliably reproduce it after the first bug report.

Biggest thing is communication. The testers need to know what the company wants to test to see . This way the testers can focus on that. The in-house QA/Testers are for finding game breaking bugs/exploits. Closed beta are for finding loop holes/exploits/game environment.
  11. Schorl

Schorl New Cupcake

You must have never played SWG. =P

I guess Star Wars MMOs in general don't have a great track record.
  12. Avenged

Avenged Cupcake-About-Town

This thread was about Beta's. Not going to argue the massive class changes in SWG.

Edit: Technically wow would be number 1 overall. They might not seem as massive, but when you look at constant changes every 1-3 months over 8 years it will take the cake =P