1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Would you like a separate weapon for both dps/support roles?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Paterk, Apr 9, 2013.

?

Would you like a separate weapon for both dps/support role?

1. Yes. Id like to have a sword and shield for tanking, and a huge axe for dps for example.

41.1%
  2. No. I don't want to manage the extra gear needs.

17.9%
  3. No. Superfluous to core design of the game.

41.1%
  1. Paterk

Paterk Cupcake-About-Town

I thought it would be a cool idea, although a pie in the sky feature to implement this late in Carbine's development.

I'd love to be able to tell at a glance which role someone is filling. Having separate weapon sets would do that. So a gunslinger would have duel pistols while dpsing, and a healgun/tricorder device while healing.

There are a lot of pros and cons on this idea. I'll let the community highlight them.
  2. Veckna

Veckna Well-Known Cupcake

They explained the reasoning (animation/silhouettes) behind the single weapon choice so option 3 was the one I went for.
    While I see what your getting at (the ability to identify the subspec/role a player is fulfilling) I think it's a bit late to change. If I'm totally honest I prefer it their way as I'm sure there will be other ways to identify healers/tanks (skill animations, etc) without painting a bullseye on healers or a 'don't hit this' on tanks before a fight even starts (purely selfish as I enjoy playing those roles ;)).
  3. spencerBAXLEY

spencerBAXLEY Cupcake-About-Town

It doesn't really matter to me honestly. As someone who typically plays a caster, I rarely see my weapons anyway.
  4. Rivele

Rivele Cupcake

the problem i have with this especially if people raid or instance they try and roll on anything they think is good for either spec.

they usually don't care about the needs of others and can cause problems.
  5. Celtkhan

Celtkhan Well-Known Cupcake

I'll go one step further and say that I would like weapons that are optimized by class, but not role. That is, rather than have tanking swords and dps swords, just give us swords with offensive stats. Let us get our tanking stats from armor/spec, but let there be one iconic item that works for both specs.
    Shaigh and Naunet like this.
  6. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

Yes. Diversity increases the long term interest into the game. You start wearing and using the same stuff everywhere and boredom will set in much sooner.

This is one of the reasons I don't really like playing casters. I mean melee classes always get a cool armor or cool weapon. What do casters get ? Same bathrobe but with different textures and the same stick but with different textures and slightly different model (not many ways to change the looks of a stick).
  7. atom

atom Cupcake-About-Town

I mean, if we're going to call alternative design superfluous, you can go the entire way down to Go and say anything else outside of that is superfluous. You really should quantify the stance on that one.

Different weapons speak more to the feel of the game, than the core design. Additionally, if weapons are to have stats... why would a sword and shield offer the same stats as an axe? They're used differently and serve a different purpose in make believe land and in reality.
  8. Kalmander

Kalmander Well-Known Cupcake

I would not mind different weapon "loadouts" for different roles. I would also appreciate if we get a good way to keep them (plenty of space, or space dedicated to gear), and a hassle-free way of swapping it if necessary.
  9. Acidblood

Acidblood Cupcake-About-Town

Basically no. I like that you can use any of the abilities regardless of weapon type (not that you have much choice...), also if it's just another item you need, like underwater gear in GW2, then it's just going to get annoying to keep it up to date.

As long as there are plenty of different models and textures, and a wardrobe / transmutation system of some sort for weapons, then I'm actually quite happy they are going with a unique weapon for each class rather than generic weapons (and animations) for all classes.
  10. Dysp

Dysp Cupcake-About-Town

I don't think a second weapon would work, simply because of the limited action set. There might not be a fully defined second spec in some cases.. (if I'm assuming correctly as to how the LAS works) and be a hybrid, part heal/tank, part dps. For example, if there were two weapon types, one for each primary spec, a player could just swap out to the healing weapon (assigned with dps chips) and use mostly or all dps abilities to falsify their outward spec-appearance as a healer.

Secondly, with one weapon per class, the designers don't have to create nearly as many identically tiered weapons. The time it would take to make 1 axe, 1 mace, 1 scepter, 1 sword, 1 psyblade, 1 dagger, 1 claw, 1 hammer, 1 techsword, 1 pistol, 1 rifle, 1 staff could hypothetically be cut in half if they only needed to create just 6 of those weapon types per a tier. The devs then have more time to create many design iterations for the smaller field of weapon types.

Hypothetically, if it took an equal amount of time to create any one weapon..
    (since I typed out 12 weapons, I'll use that squared)
    Have time to make: 144 weapons

#of Weapon Types: 12
    #of Weapon Variations per Type/Tiers: 12

versus

#of Weapon Types: 6
    #of Weapon Variations per Type/Tiers: 24

It may not be as drastic as a 2x, but still the devs can save time to create many more designs you'll actually get to use. And since there is no overlap, each class is unique. If you have multiple characters (that are different classes), they won't ever use the same weapons, be it during leveling, or at cap.

So I'm all for 1 weapon per class, regardless of spec. It will be interesting to see how it works out, as weapon fatigue could easily strike.
  11. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

One of the the things I really hated about wow was carrying around a million different types of armor in my back pack and switching them. I rather just do it with circuit boards they have released.
  12. Paterk

I'm trying to understand the first paragraph. Can you clarify?

The feel of the game is defined by its design.

In my hypothetical questions, I never said weapons would have the same stats. Are you saying that in your mind, the weapons would have the same stats but the switch would be cosmetic only?
  13. Zybak

Zybak Cupcake-About-Town

I'll bet money that they're going to have multiple class weapon types. I don't see why they wouldn't add it in the future.

It's really not that important to the core of the game though, I'd like to see them use development time elsewhere while the game is young.
  14. Elward

Elward Cupcake

If something like this were to be put in I wouldn't mind it at all, but it's not something I would ask for. The main concern that I have with weapons is that there are many many many many different skins for each type so that I can see my weapon changing as I level and such.
  15. Phakz

Phakz Cupcake-About-Town

Not having different types of weapons is not a big deal. However, it puts more pressure on them to continually make new and interesting designs for one type of weapon. Carbine will do a fantastic job though and probably come up with some crazy looking skins for weapons.
  16. atom

atom Cupcake-About-Town

Well, you gave an option that it's superfluous. When in reality, as I stated, you can pick apart a game down to it's very core and say anything else is superfluous. That's me being purposefully obtuse. The point I'm raising is that superfluous is something you should quantify. How is it superfluous? Why would it be considered to be in excess to swap weapons to do different jobs, when it doesn't make sense from a physical standpoint?

I'm making the assumption that weapons will have stats, and those stats will have direct correlation to the stats of characters. Likely represented by the standard str/dex/int/etc. Now, if I'm tanking, I have a sword and shield. I would expect the bonus attributes to be more reflective of me being more durable. Whereas if I were wielding an axe I would expect to cause a greater amount of damage. Now, if weapons are only assigned a damage number, and that's it then I don't see the problem. All weapons would be completely interchangeable (and boring, in my opinion), thus it wouldn't matter.
  17. Paterk

It is an opinion poll. Superfluous is just superfluous. If people thought that having more weapons was unnecessary, this is the option they pick. They can then choose to comment why. If you wanted me to make a detailed choice on why it was superfluous, there could have been 10+ options to vote for.

Yes I agree this is obtuse and arguing for the sake of arguing. What option did you pick?
  18. Nym

Nym Cupcake-About-Town

This.

Yet I'll Still probably end up swapping gear for fights just because I'm anal about min/maxing.
  19. Paterk

Lets break something down.

1. Each class can switch specs outside of combat with no penalty.
    2. Stats determine the effectiveness of individual skills.
    3. Individual skills are tuned specifically for certain roles.
    4. Each class has two main roles DPS and Healer/Tank.
    5. Now I imagine the reason behind giving each class multiple roles and the ability to switch between them easily is to help ease the burden of filling up a group.
    If all of these things are true, then it stands to reason that having two sets of gear would be the optimal way to play. If this is the design intention, I hope they let you equip your DPS gear and Support gear at the same time with the ability to switch between the two sets.
  20. Blegvad

Blegvad Cupcake

Not necessary - at the end of the day it's fluff. If abilities are not tied to weapon type then it really does not matter if the core gameplay kicks ass.