1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Would you like a separate weapon for both dps/support roles?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Paterk, Apr 9, 2013.

?

Would you like a separate weapon for both dps/support role?

1. Yes. Id like to have a sword and shield for tanking, and a huge axe for dps for example.

41.1%
  2. No. I don't want to manage the extra gear needs.

17.9%
  3. No. Superfluous to core design of the game.

41.1%
  1. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

Would be cool not having to switch a full set of armor out when changing role from like dps to tanking. But I would like to see weapon swap for role change or even the option to use an alternate weapon all together. But then there is min maxing and speculation \ theory crafting that would take a deeper hierarchy at some point someone would have the math figured out and know if your holding an axe while tanking your an asshat. So I would like to have an alternate weapon per role I am currently trying, like sword and shield for tanking vs 2h maddness for dps.
  2. Blankspace

Blankspace WTB Fun Forum Title

There are a ton of pros and cons for this discussion that I (with my 2 year old taking a nap) don't have time to write up.

Circuit boards that you change as part of the system is fine
    Having to switch out is fine (2h to sword/board)

Comes down to design and implementation. Not to mention balance. And psychology. Nevermind I'm going to hide from this thread until I have a solid 30 mins to write something up :p
  3. kentheprogrammer

kentheprogrammer New Cupcake

Let's not forget too that they can likely make the weapons look very different without them being considered a different "class". In a game like WoW, what was the real difference between 1-handed swords and 1-handed axes (or similarly 2-handed swords and 2-handed axes) other than their appearance? They could essentially have swords and axes be the same weapon type if they cared to (2-handed melee type or something) and they likely wouldn't even have to update the animations. Shadow silhouettes and stuff, maybe but that's only if it's a big deal to do so.

The same could be done for many of the items - the adornments, colors/textures, sizing, etc... of the weapons can be adjusted within the types to likely create a good variety of weapons. Will they be able to create as much variety among pistols as they could "firearms" (including 2-handed guns as well as pistols)? It's not likely. Will they be capable of creating ENOUGH variety? Let's hope so - it certainly seems possible.

The main positive that I see from the player's perspective in doing the "one weapon type per class" system is that it might help cut down on the griefing in PUGs if only one class can equip a particular weapon type. That's aside from the positives relating to things like less dev time spent on modeling and animations for the different weapon types and hopefully other gains that the team can make in lieu of spending time on those tasks.
  4. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

Voted yes. Anything to change the one weapon type ;).