1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Would you like to see a higher level cap when patches come out? ( and why)

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by bramokki, Aug 22, 2013.

?

Would you like to see a higher level cap when patches come out?

1. yes

11 vote(s)
    24.4%
  2. no

23 vote(s)
    51.1%
  3. maybe,

11 vote(s)
    24.4%
  1. bramokki

bramokki Cupcake

I would like to see they only put more (raids, weapons, maps) in it so ur weapons wont go to waste.
    Because everytime i did get in wow weapons from the hardest raids when the next expansion came out i had like a better weapon from the first mob i killed. ( so u felt like everything did go to waste)
    So i would like to see just only new raids and maps etc not a higher lvl cap
  2. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

are you talking about patches or expansions? Carbine's said monthly patches - so no on level raised on patch. We don't know about if they'll be doing any expansions - but yes on level raised there for me if they have them.
    Baamz likes this.
  3. Mukesh

Mukesh Cupcake

Patches or expansions? Every time a new raid tier comes out, you're replacing all of your gear. That's the nature of MMOs, your accomplishments only mean something for a short season. With systems like transmog or costumes, you still can feel the accomplishment of having earned that amazing gear while facing new challenges (ie new content).
    Sonntam and Kataryna like this.
  4. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Expansions = Yes
    Patches = No

So I picked ''mayby'' because the poll is confusing :p
    Welcome to MMO's ;) It's ''normal'' to progress further and get ''new'' items.
    Only transmog/or some other way of saving the looks of old gear/weapons can make you keep those ''feelings'' you may hold for your older gear.
  5. Shinozuka

Shinozuka Cupcake

Do MMOs ever raise the level Cap with patches?

Like going from version 1.4 to 1.5
  6. Garalia

Garalia New Cupcake

From memory (and I can't remember the exact sources at the moment) they're planning on having around 200-250 hours of levelling content, after which there's supposed to be roughly the same again in elder game content. I think that scale will feel epic enough without needing to add new levels in patches.

Right now, we don't even know what a WildStar patch would contain - is it just a few more quests, an instance, or a whole new area? We just don't know. Speculation aside, we're just shooting in the dark here.
  7. Sapien

Sapien Cupcake-About-Town

No,its time to come up with some kind of expansions/patch that aint ruin the game as it is. raising the cap is killing alot of content, they could add new raids that need some kind of resistant gear, that one can get in new 5-mans and that crafters can craft and even begin to drop in the old raids and so on, there is absolutelly no need to raise the cap! I think thats the easy way out. The Devs gato come up with something better then that these days..Its time. :)
  8. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

My main issue with raising the level cap is stat/damage bloat and trivializing prior content. When you reach the point that a basic swing of a sword is doing 10k+ damage, well, let's just say you've jumped the shark. And even an aggressive patch and expansion schedule cannot meet the pace of players.

The entire article is well worth the read.

I do not know the solutions to these problems. But Carbine has already delighted me with their innovations, I am hopeful they will continue to work their strange magic.
  9. Sapien

Sapien Cupcake-About-Town

I belive they can use the existing world to expend the endgame in, like for an example put in a raidentrance in a lowlvl area, that whould make the world more alive, and even more alive in chat, and open up for more open world pvp If we dont get sumoned there from the capital city ofc. :)
    Anyway i bet there is way more things to add to that "problem" as a patch/expansions.
  10. AusterlitZ

AusterlitZ Well-Known Cupcake

They will do that with the first expansion,but if everything goes to plan,that could very well be 2 years from release,so i wouldn't mid a fresh start.Cap lvl increase is like a ladder reset,it gives people the change to catch up.
  11. Warruz

Warruz Cupcake

No i would not like to see the level cap raised, there are other ways to have character progression then having a complete clean slate. All that is needed to be done is that you make new areas /raids require some new or different stat.
  12. bramokki

bramokki Cupcake

Yes sorry for confusing you guys but i am talking about expansions.
    I said patches because they didnt announce expansions yet :)
  13. Xevius

Xevius Cupcake

I'm against level cap raises.

Why?

I just don't like leveling high level characters, again, again, aaaaannd, again.
  14. Chrilin

Chrilin Cupcake-About-Town

I worry about number inflation like in WoW. I do like new levels and zones to quest through though.

So I'm going with yes. New areas to explore + New stuff = more better. :up:
  15. Rare Spawn

Rare Spawn Cupcake

I think that it would be nice to have new levels at some point. It would give them an opportunity to expand your skills tree, and also new places to go! I also worry about the number inflation like in WoW.

I think it could actually be really cool if they made some permanent changes to the existing world every so often. Then they wouldn't waste so much money designing a zone from the base up, but they could just change what already exists!

Like maybe there would be an influx of invaders into one zone and it would be changed to a higher level zone (I don't know if they are even doing level zones but...), or maybe that war skirmish that has been going on for over a year finally ends and a new base is put up by the winning side, and that zone then turns into a lower level more peaceful zone...

It would just be really nice to walk through an area you've been to many times and actually see things permanently change over time(and not just like a movie on repeat in GW2), and have new things to do...see...etc.
    Mukesh and Gronky like this.
  16. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

Either there are no levels from the start and game is based solely on gear progression or there are levels and gear progression. This game is based on level so I see no way this will change. Also end game content is one part of the game. Many people love a feel of quick leveling and moving from area to area as it gives them a nice feeling of adventure. And for me I love to be able after an expansion or two to go back to old raids and solo them myself.
  17. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

I kind of hope that this kind of permanent changes possibly even influenced by players are one of the many things not yet talked about.
  18. Reeve

Reeve Cupcake-About-Town

I like the periodic reset that comes with a raised level cap. It makes the game feel fresh and new again, like I just bought a new game. I've never understood why people feel that a raised cap and new gear progression somehow invalidates everything they've accomplished in the previous expansion.

Having the greatest most min/maxed gear might be fun for a few weeks, but the real fun is in the effort of acquiring that gear. Otherwise why are you raiding in the first place? An expansion just gives you more opportunities to grow and do new things.

Now it would be nice if some of the older dungeons retained some level of relevancy, but I'm not sure how to do that effectively.
  19. Zondeel

Zondeel Cupcake

I think you mean expansions and my answer is hell yeah! Let's say you only do four digit damage in the first expansion, and in the third you can be up to six digits. Suddenly, those vanilla mobs and bosses don't seem so hot anymore as it's like you've ascended into a new plane of existence. By expansion 1 you may be able to take Batman, but in expansion 2 Batman wouldn't stand a chance and you'd need someone beyond the limits of realistic human capability (word of God says Batman is capped in all stats as far as a "realistic" human could go, so maybe a level 30 or 40 rogue for agility and a warrior in that range for strength using a WoW scale, beyond that and you get into Final Fantasy levels and then maybe Marvel and DC levels after that)
  20. Zondeel

Zondeel Cupcake

Agreed on everything but with the PvE/PvP segregation in certain games it comically misses the point of raiding to begin with. Why want the best gear? To get an edge over inferior geared players and level the playing field with the best. If you don't need to raid then why raid? Why not just farm battlegrounds? PvP viability is the true endgame of MMOs and their heart and soul.