1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Would you pay to reserve your ingame name on all servers?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by SnailPlissken, Nov 28, 2013.

?

Would you pay to reserve your ingame name on all servers?

1. Yes

38.1%
  2. No

61.9%
  1. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

if option is there yup, quite a few even just less hassle but can life without it, creative enough to deal with it all.
  2. Fox Spirit

Fox Spirit Cupcake

I think it would be better if Carbine allowed spaces and/or last names like GW2.

Or the @handle system like CoX, STO and GW2 used/uses. Not only does it allow everyone to have the name they want (even with repeats), it gives you the ability to permablock trolls by blacklisting their @handle. :)
  3. Kidney

Kidney Cupcake

To OP, yes I'd pay. Although I'd also much prefer a system where we have one account name.

Perhaps one space would be good, too many is too good : "It is on us to do" - GW2 char with longest sentence I could figure out.

GW2 has a unique @handle naming system now? I tried to google that and failed. The last I knew, it was unique character naming enforced across all worlds. Which I found absurd to the extreme. So, I'm surprised if they completely changed it and I can't find anything. Link please?
  4. Fox Spirit

Fox Spirit Cupcake

GW2 names were based on your account number. You were Taijha Almeeri.2751 or whatever, you could look people up with the .number or their name. Which prevented name griefing.
  5. Branwulf

Branwulf New Cupcake

Depends what the price is but probably not.
  6. Kidney

Kidney Cupcake

Ok, I finally figured out what you were talking about. In my mind that is basically the account name. Because it is. Character names were (and still are?) unique across Worlds in GW2. I see no reason for that. It causes name racing and all of the problems attempting to be solved by making account names have an .identifier, and just transfers them to character names instead.

I'd rather it be restricted the other way around, account name xxxKidneyxxx420N0Sc0peZxxx, character name whatever I feel like.
  7. Fox Spirit

Fox Spirit Cupcake

You're focusing too hard on the GW2 system, as I was only answering your question... But if thats actually how it works then its no better than just have a unique name. I never ran into a problem with character names in GW2 as my names were pretty unique to start with. I dont really understand why they would link your name to your account if you cant have the same name as someone else...

First part of my original post points out CoX and STO/CO's @handle/account (whatever you want to call it) system which DOES allow for not unique names.
  8. Packetdancer

Packetdancer Addon Cupcake

Honestly, yeah, depending on the price, I'd pay.

For most games I wouldn't—trying to leap on the first day available and grab names is actually weirdly fun in a bizarre way—but at this point for WildStar, my character name's known enough that I'd want to reserve it. ;)
    Livnthedream likes this.
  9. Drokk

Drokk Cupcake-About-Town

I'm not sure the point of such a thing. Either you're rushing to nab it on release day, or rushing to nab it when they allow you to pay to reserve it.
  10. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

Well obviously its the thought of, there are less people with money to burn on name saves, vs everyone else on launch day right?
  11. Drokk

Drokk Cupcake-About-Town

Well, obviously. But mindless cash grabs that exploit people without extra funds to burn is a bit on the sleezy size. I wouldn't be in favor of it.
  12. Ianpact

Ianpact Cupcake-About-Town

Would I do it? No.

Should Carbine do it? I don't think so. I believe there would be quite the backlash from the community. Being locked out of a name by someone not even playing on your server would be pretty lame. Especially with the restrictive naming policy Carbine has decided to go with.

Has it been confirmed that naming and befriending will work similar to pre-battle.net ID? That seems to be the assumption around here, that or I'm confusing what people are saying. I really prefer the account befriending over the character one. Also, it seems really silly that would I have to befriend my own toons to have them work on my houses which would reduce my ability to befriend other players. I find craft locking to toons silly too, though. Meh, what are you going to do. ;)
  13. Alistair Cain

Alistair Cain Cupcake

Wouldn't do it at all. I may really want the name "John", but so may a lot of other people. Locking out that name on every server, especially ones that I will likely never play on just seems pointlessly selfish.
    To be fair, I make characters in different games with different names usually - I don't often use the same name across games.
    I can understand people wanting to keep a name they like and use often, but locking out a popular name on all servers is a touch of overkill.

People are often upset to see a favourite name being used by some level 1 bank alt, let alone a person on another server.
    Ianpact likes this.
  14. lee sinclair

lee sinclair Cupcake

I dont give mmos any money till ive tried em out first. too many over hyped fails in last few years. WS is lookin fine so far tho. :)
  15. Blue Tunic Man

Blue Tunic Man Cupcake-About-Town

Nah, I have a list of common names I can snatch early on. Heck, I even managed to steal creative names years after the server dropped.
  16. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

Welcome to WildStar Central. Here is a link to the Personal Introductions Forum. You are not required to post there but doing so is a good way to meet some of our friendliest members. Tell Kat I said hi.
  17. Avenged

Avenged Cupcake-About-Town

Every server would be brutal. In fact I think it would piss a lot of people off. If a system like this existed I would probably do it, because 10 people paying could possibly mean 100+ names that are reserved. If 10-20k people did it then you would be spending 10 hours at character creation trying to come up with a name that will probably not even be pronounceable.
    SnailPlissken likes this.
  18. filanwizard

filanwizard Cupcake-About-Town

Everquest had surnames no clue why they are so uncommon today in MMORPGs as an option if EQ could do it in 1999 its clearly not about DB limitations since today's servers are far more advanced.
  19. Avenged

Avenged Cupcake-About-Town

It is less of a DB problem and more of a convenience factor. Single names are easier to manage, and easier to filter for offensive names. Fuc Koff comes to mind specifically when I say this. Two words that are meaningless on their own, but when they are combined becomes extremely offensive. In fact this forum filters out <REDACTED>ty words all the time, but I am betting it gets through their filter.
    SnailPlissken likes this.
  20. Ysme

Ysme Cupcake

Yes,

In some other games I think its been offered as part of the pre-order incentive scheme
    I never get the super deluxe collectors editiion though as they are usually 50% fan fluff and I'm not a collector