1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Would you share a friend beta key?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by D3athcr33ps, Nov 26, 2013.

1. D3athcr33ps

D3athcr33ps Cupcake

Just to be clear I'm not asking for a free key!

With the linked accounts policy if you give out a friend beta key and they break the rules you both get banned. This is to deter people from selling black market keys.

Would any of you ever give away a beta key on the forum to a total stranger out of kindness? It's pretty risky trying to be a nice guy for fear of getting banned, but I know there are people out there that really really want a key. If I had an extra key I would be happy to give it away if I didn't have friends that wanted it, it's just too risky. I feel like THIS site's developers should get a little compensation for making a fan site if they haven't already.

How do you feel about this policy? Do you think it is punishing black market sales or punishing people trying to give away free keys? Or both?

Would you ever give away a key to someone you didn't know for free?
  2. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

Nope. Not when it would endanger my chances at beta access. I would either give the key(s) to WSC members or people I game with through Steam.

I do wonder how many cookies Kat would barter for a key....
    Kataryna likes this.
  3. Avenged

Avenged Cupcake-About-Town

Nope. Not worth it. Even if there was not a banning offense I know plenty of people that I have gamed with for 8 years plus that would kill for a key right now that would always get it from me.
  4. Roadblock

Roadblock Cupcake-About-Town

Yes.
    I have gaming friends that I know and play with for years.
    I would share a key with them either to "convert" them to WildStar or because I value their feedback and think the beta would benefit from their presence.

Edit: Just realized that's not what you asked... "would you share a friend key with a non-friend?"
    Probably not.
  5. SnailPlissken

SnailPlissken Cupcake

Yes, I would definitely share a key with a non friend.... for the right price ;D mohahahahahha!
  6. FelixAkuma

FelixAkuma Cupcake-About-Town

Probably not, but i'd probably give my keys straight my friends here on the forum or my friend interested in the game IRL~

Though if i had a beta key to give away i'd probably give someone the chance and try to get to know them better first ~ If they seem decent/ok then i'd give them a key, but not straight off the bat without knowing them no.. Wouldn't want to damage my beta access..

The beta access i will never get... T_T
  7. Jallan

Jallan New Cupcake

Why would I give out the key to someone random? I would definitly give it to a friend, whether it'll be an IRl friend or someone I've gamed with for years.
  8. Vann

Vann New Cupcake

Strangers: Nope
    Very good friends: Yes

Carbine: Their game = they get to make the rules.
  9. Roq777

Roq777 Cupcake

My Guild? Yes. Even though I technically don't "know" them.

Complete stranger? Depends. If they could convince me of their sincerity. That would take a lot though.
  10. Shaal

Shaal New Cupcake

I'd give a beta key to a RL friend that I trust, no one else. It's just too risky IMO.
  11. Sarigar

Sarigar Cupcake

I've already made a pact with one of my close RL friends to provide friend keys to the other if either of us get into beta. :) And if the invite includes friend keys, of course. I'm not sure how long that will be going on; when the game goes into wider beta, I think they'll stop doing the friend keys.
  12. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

see, the problem with posting up on a forums "hey i have a friend key, who wants it?" is that you're then breaking the NDA - you cannot tell anyone you're in beta, and just posting it up on a forum is shouting to the world that you're in Beta...

Also, Tribe, I wouldn't accept a beta key from anyone I didn't know - it could be a scam, or someone could be an arse and do something just to get their "friends" in trouble. I wouldn't want to risk it!
  13. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

At this point if you are interested in Wildstar and do not "know" anyone else who is you are likely doing it wrong.
  14. Cogburn

Cogburn Cupcake-About-Town

I'm definitely using one for my wife if I get one, but I may use the third one to give to some random person on the street.

Spread the gospel my chickadee! The WildStar cometh!
  15. Hasteo

Hasteo New Cupcake

I would not, I would only give it to people I trust.
  16. D3athcr33ps

D3athcr33ps Cupcake

It would seem the general consensuses is that no one trusts strangers and everyone likes cookies. I think it's pretty cool a couple people said they would give out keys to WSC people.
  17. Kidney

Kidney Cupcake

I think it's cool that people have a statute on how long it takes to social engineer them, despite never actually gaining any more intimacy with the other person.

That pessimism out of the way, yup, sign me up! There are totally people I only "know" on the internet whom I would give keys to >< Otherwise, friends, family, not strangers, yada C&P.
  18. Nyanta

Nyanta Cupcake

Exact same way for me, considering I don't have any real life friends who are interested in any MMO's, I'd just pick one of my guildies to take it unless someone from the forum could REALLY convince me of their sincerity.
  19. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

Nope. Not a very trusting person.
  20. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

Wanted to piggy back on this thread, since I don't think there is enough new info for a brand new thread, but MMORPG has a new "Winter Beta Progress" article up with a few new interesting quotes.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/632/feature/7989/WildStar-Winter-Beta-Progress-Report.html

-For the Winter test, they brought back the original beta users (10 to 13K) and then gently seeded in another one thousand, plus two buddy keys for each of the new users’ friends (3K more people in total added so far). Early December is also when they will begin letting the Press in to cover about levels one to fifteen, for now the first bits we’ll be allowed to report on are the first 15 levels or so (which gives access to things like hoverboards, crafting, housing, and early dungeons as well so there’s plenty to explore)

-Most players, especially in beta, poke their heads in, look around, and decide pretty quickly if the game’s their cup of tea or not. How many people make it through that tutorial into the massive open world and key levels of the game? How many come back for more? So where’s WildStar land in that measurement? Roughly 80% of its players have played multiple hours at a time, and come back across each weekend for multiple return sessions. Jeremy says this is really high for engagement returns. The normal number on other NCsoft and Turbine games he said was somewhere in the 50% area.

-The buzz is beginning to really build around WildStar, and even the Carbine web developers are taking notice. A month ago, they had a few million visitors per month to the main site. In the past four weeks, that’s jumped right up to seven million views.
    Oconnell likes this.