1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Would you share a friend beta key?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by D3athcr33ps, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Leiloni

Leiloni Cupcake-About-Town

I would never give a key to a non friend for obvious reasons. I've actually held on to non-beta game codes (like registration codes or cool items, etc. - things that don't really expire) for months at a time until the right friend came along that really wanted or deserved it. I sat on a TERA Founder's code I got in January for 5-6 months until a friend of mine started playing a lot of TERA with me so I gave it to him. I also, cause SQEnix is dumb with how they did the veteran thing, have an extra FF14 code I have not yet decided what to do with. So no, I'd never give a code to someone I don't know. As for Wildstar beta, I have so many friends that are dying for and deserve beta keys anyway so they'd get friend keys if I got into beta.
  2. Oconnell

Oconnell Cupcake

That's really interesting info. Would that mean mounts are something we can get in the first 15 levels? Overall nice things I didn't know about.

Well that sounds amazing. I didn't know anything about that info. That's gonna make questing with friends and leveling alters so much easier.
  3. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Well-Known Cupcake

If there was someone on the forum that I get along with well with no beta access, I would give them a friend key so we could explore and test a bunch of things together.

However, I know my brother is dying to get his hands on this game, so the key would go to him.
  4. Aldagar

Aldagar New Cupcake

I would only share beta keys with people I've played with before in other mmos that I know would appreciate them.
  5. D3athcr33ps

D3athcr33ps Cupcake

That number is insane for even live MMO's. I'm sure the 50% that didn't play included people like me who are in finals and don't have time. I can see why they didn't just give out 10k beta keys; there are probably 8k people logging on everyday. Usually games make the stater zones awesome so players get hooked and then it fizzles at mid level and picks up at the end. I'm curious to see how well the player testing holds up when the game's newness wears off and becomes more grindy. Making the mobs hard to kill for 50 levels may cause people to get fed up and break keyboards (I will be using a cheapo keyboard for this reason).
  6. Scarzi

Scarzi Cupcake-About-Town

I would, I have done it once before. I have been in plenty of betas but one beta no one I played with had any interest to play and there are a lot of hardcore players that would die for it. So I just randomly messaged people on their forums and gave it away. The guy was so happy, and he always talked to me when I logged on. I still keep in touch.
    D3athcr33ps likes this.
  7. Thordran

Thordran Cupcake-About-Town

Interesting if they are passing out friend keys with betas as I've been in a few betas and have not seen that before.

I don't think I would give a key to a stranger, I have a few friends that I trust and would like to play with that I would pass the keys to if I was lucky enough to get friend keys for a beta.
  8. Drokk

Drokk Cupcake-About-Town

I don't even trust my friends. I sure as Hell wouldn't trust a stranger. I'd give them to my brothers.
  9. Leiloni

I disagree. People get really bored if leveling is too easy or mindless. That has been a big complaint in recent MMO's so I think if Carbine is trying to make it more of a challenge that's the right way to go.
  10. Blue Tunic Man

Blue Tunic Man Cupcake-About-Town

Maybe. I'm kind of scared of burning myself out throughout the beta, it would be easier on me to just let someone else be burnt out that I know - they'll even like me better in the end! :p
    D3athcr33ps likes this.
  11. Packetdancer

Packetdancer Addon Cupcake

My understanding based on comments over on Reddit and elsewhere is that the friend key system as used in beta is actually being used to beta the referral system for launch.

Basically, at launch, there'll be trial keys you can give friends; those trial keys will remain associated with your account, so that if the person actually subscribes they'll know who referred them. (Presumably this could be used for giving some sort of referral awards, but that was never detailed.)

The implication is that right now, the friend keys being scattered into beta are themselves a beta of that system; the binding between the issuing account and the account created on it tests the 'link this key to that account' functionality. (And, conveniently, that binding also provides disincentive for people to be like "I'll just give this key out to Random Untrustworthy Guy on Twitter!" or "I think I'll go sell the key on eBay!")

Again, that's just my understanding based on commentary I've seen elsewhere.
  12. Leiloni

The Secret World has a similar refer a friend system that's tied to your account. You can even go into your account and see all the people you've given trial keys to and what their account status is to see if they've used the key, if they're still playing or not. You get veteran points for people that end up buying the game and those points are a currency you can use to purchase items. It's an interesting system, I like it. Would be cool if Carbine was doing a similar thing.
  13. Bazeleel

Bazeleel Cupcake-About-Town

Most likely not. Mainly due to the amount of asshats on the internet these days. I wouldn't want to share and key then have them try and sell the account and I get banned for it. Not worth the risk.
  14. D3athcr33ps

D3athcr33ps Cupcake

I'm not a fan of leveling. Hard hitting mobs just make me frustrated that I have to be hyper aware ALL THE TIME. I do like challenging quests but I don't want to corpse run every 5 minutes because every quest is hard. I really have mixed feelings about hard hitting mobs. One thing I hated about Burning Crusade was that I had an alt that was under geared and the quests were damn near impossible. The people that had purples from Vanilla raids were doing fine. There is a fine line between challenging and frustrating.
  15. Venion

Venion New Cupcake

Nope, I don't trust strangers with things that could negatively impact me. I'd only share it with a friend, and only one specific friend at that since my other friends are goofballs.
  16. achesoma

achesoma Cupcake

No, only to people I know personally.
  17. Tidezen

Tidezen Cupcake

The only time it would make rational sense to give a key to someone you don't know personally is when that person's name is Tidezen. The reasons are obvious. *Jedi hand wave* :cool:
  18. Elloa

Elloa Cupcake

I'd not, because I'd have too much friends/guildies/partners on different community website that wish a beta key to give it to a stranger.