1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

"WoW Clone"

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Whatley, May 30, 2013.

1. Whatley

Whatley Cupcake

How do we turn derogatory phrases like "WoW Clone" Into something positive for Wildstar? Whenever people say "WoW Clone" It makes me instantly annoyed. And yet right now, on every other forum or community I see, it is the flagship for the "I don't like Wildstar" group. Wildstar may rhyme graphically with WoW, but it certainly isn't anywhere near clone. And I think that is a credit to the developers who worked on the original WoW and if anyone has the right to reproduce the style it's them.

I don't know, maybe I am just ranting. How do y'all deal with this? Have you found any successful ways to redirect the turned up nose criticism into curiosity?

Given enough people I believe Wildstar could don the Crown, especially when what I would see as their only real competition (shrouded in secrecy as it was) has been reset. Paving the way for an at least 2-3 year reign. Which is more than enough time for us to get the fan base and backing to secure the throne.
    Rai, Shoogli and Cuban Cowboy like this.
  2. imrevned

imrevned Cupcake

I don't think their art styles are very similar :confused: WildStar is much more "clean" and "smooth" to me.
  3. Ellianar

Ellianar Cupcake-About-Town

Wildstar doesnt need the idiots that are calling it a "Wow clone" as it doesnt need the differents idiots who say it will be the "Wow killer"

So dont waste your time trying to convince lowbobs like that.
    Rai and Ian Smith like this.
  4. Kleev

Kleev Cupcake-About-Town

Being a good "WoW clone" is not bad at all if it's a clone of the right time periods. Wildstar is undeniably similar to WoW in many ways, as are most MMOs. The difference is this game is going back to WoW's earlier days when it was more hardcore, and then improving and adding in a lot of their own stuff.

I'd honestly refer to this game as a "WoW 2.0" more than I would a clone, but neither would properly do justice for what Carbine is doing.
    Kama, F8L Fool and Noviere like this.
  5. eselle8

eselle8 Well-Known Cupcake

"WoW Clone" isn't really an insult. WoW was a very good game in its day, and in many respects it still is a pretty good game. Some of its mechanics are unfortuante or have been improved upon, but lots of them are perfectly good ideas that will work elsewhere. It would be as foolish to reflexively throw all of them out as to reflexively copy them.

For the most part, there's no point in arguing with people who call WildStar a WoW Clone, despite clear differences. People who want sandboxes want ArcheAge, or a return to some game they used to play. People who don't like cartoony fantasy graphics want SWTOR or one of a number of other games. People who don't want gear-based progression want GW2. If those are their sticking points, this isn't a game for them.

That being said, no one's going to take the "crown." WoW was released during a perfect storm moment when MMOs were becoming more popular and there wasn't very much competition. WoW will slowly decline, but no game's going to kill it, and no one game is going to take all of its audience. They'll spread to a number of games, and some will stop playing MMOs altogether.
    Leiloni, Chuk, Sawpaw and 1 other person like this.
  6. Sawpaw

Sawpaw Cupcake-About-Town

Easy, just call it "WoW in Space"

As someone who absolutely loved WoW, I consider this phrase a compliment to Wildstar.
    Whatley, WakeskaterX and Kataryna like this.
  7. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

Those same people say the same thing about pretty much every MMO that comes out. Why waste your time caring about what they think, there is a lot better ways to use your time.
  8. Aldem

Aldem New Cupcake

It's just another way of saying a theme-park MMO really, though more blatantly.
  9. Red_Death01

Red_Death01 Cupcake-About-Town

"WoW Clone" is so overused they have begun using it as a synonym for 'copying a successful game' ....Ironically enough WoW is a WoW Clone in itself at this point as it copied several MMOs before it came out.... Really there isn't something you can just tack on to a saying and make it positive for you... Though anyone that says it is a WoW Clone you should point on the differences and possibly show them 3-4 minutes of it... If they dont give it a couple of minutes of their time then it doesn't matter what you say.
  10. Skean

Skean Cupcake

Half way between hell and the state of confusion.
    I didn't get into WoW until WotLK. My first MMO was City of Hero's. So, when I hear someone say 'WoW Clone' I instantly know to ignore just about everything they say afterwords. For some, WoW was their first foray into PC gaming. For others like myself (not including the trash-80) was Duke Nukem when it was a side scroller. I got into Warcraft when I first played Orcs and Humans. When Activision got involved, it went form WoW being a good game that everyone wants, to being a well marketed game that everyone's played and is getting bored with.

Another reason that you hear 'WoW Clone' is because of the races, Orcs, Elves, Humans. Some don't seem to realize that Blizzard did not create those, only changed them to fit their story.

/Hell, I'd guess more often then naught, most players forget that the MMO wouldn't be where it is, if it wasn't for PnP and MUDs
  11. Kalmander

Kalmander Well-Known Cupcake

I don't have a problem with that monicker either. I stopped playing WoW a little after Cataclysm, but I played since one month after it launched, and had tons of fun in it. It really is a good game, so if we get a "WoW clone" with improvements, I'll be happy.
    Xlugon Pyro and Sawpaw like this.
  12. PlayerOne

PlayerOne Cupcake-About-Town

I'm not sure I understand why anyone, other than someone directly involved with its development or funding, would care if Wildstar is called a WoW clone.

I have never managed to wrap my head around the "I like/own this <insert thing here> and will argue in favour of it!" mentality. I see it all over the place but especially on the internet.

Please, and this is in no way an attempt to troll, OP, explain to me why you care what anyone else says about a game you presumably neither own or have a financial interest in yet.
  13. Pilsnerex

Pilsnerex New Cupcake

Being called a "Wow Clone" is not too bad,i mean wow even in a slump has more paid subs than most every other AAA mmo currently out there put together.

Personally i agree with some parts,wildstar has so many fun looking quests,an easy to pick up style of gaming and all that other stuff that pushed Wow into a success,but it also has those lil touches like housing a deeper side questing system (explorer/settler etc) that warcraft had promised for so many years and never did.

So a GOOD "Wow clone" is not a bad phrase at all,but then look at all the mmo's out there,arent they in one form or another just a mix of clones from other games,i spent a LOT of years playing warcraft so im hoping wildstar has that kinda longevity :coffee:
  14. Nasq

Nasq New Cupcake

There are 2 ways you can use WoW Clone though. Hell, I remember people calling Aion a WoW clone because of its combat (lol).

Wildstar IS a WoW clone in terms of features though, and that's amazing. There are very few games out there with the same feature set as WoW (Rift might come close if it had arena). And then you add all the extra stuff that Wildstar has like housing and warplots on top of the WoW features...
  15. Inv1cted

Inv1cted Cupcake-About-Town

When people say 'wow clone' they just mean either themepark mmo or shameless board room developed cash-in depends on the context. When the genre of a game is so heavily dominated by one title it is inevitable that every other similar game (irrespective of if they're good or not) will be called an 'X clone'.

People calling wildstar a wow clone are either hipster jaded cynics who want the next big mmo to be a 'usergenereated sandbox free build mmo with a realtime in-depth crafting system only pvp dark souls like combat and permadeath' (read; hyper niche game that would never garner mass appeal). Or they watch two minutes of game footage saw they had similar visuals and dissmissed it.
  16. dizko

dizko Cupcake-About-Town

I think they have similar styles in the sense that they're both cartoony and highly stylized. I reckon if Blizzard were to make WoW today and not back in early 2000s it would more resembled the way Wildstar looks. WoW is aging, it's close to 10 years old now and does not include the 4+ years dev time.

To the OP's topic, I don't know that you can change peoples perspective on this. People see a game with stylized graphics and assume it's a "WoW clone". Honestly, gamers are the worst when it comes to stuff like this, they talk a big game and go out and buy the game anyway. Gamers, for some reason, like to hate on games and pretend like they don't like them and yet go out and by said game anyway.
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  17. imrevned

imrevned Cupcake

I just don't think WoW is "cartoony" per se, I think that's just how it looks in comparison to more realistic games. I would consider WildStar truly "cartoony".
  18. Xo1o

Xo1o Cupcake

To tell the truth, the two reasons I didn't get into WS earlier are:

1) I was busy thinking GW2 would end up being my new favorite MMO
    2) some of the footage they showed a while ago screamed WoW, in Stereo
    (e.g. the starter zone from the PAX East demo aka The Barrens, or even treasure chests shown in early videos that looked so much like their WoW counterparts it instantly forced me to /facepalm).
    I still don't get why Carbine seem(ed) to think this wouldn't turn off a non-trivial amount of potential players who, after first glance, quickly judge the game as "just another WoW clone" and stop caring to get more info about it.
    Luckily the recent bits of media emphasize the SciFi side of WS a lot more, especially the Paths vid was EXACTLY the kind of promo this game needs IMO. Agent Voxine :inlove:
  19. Kalmander

Kalmander Well-Known Cupcake

I really do not think that is something Carbine should worry about. If they try to worry about that, then they may not make the best decision for the game, but a decision based on "let's try to make it not look like WoW"...

If the game is good, people will come. Regardless of what they think the game looks like. If Carbine give us a great game, and people start playing, and then telling their friends how good it is, then the people will eventually come.

So I respect Carbine taking the decision they think is best, regardless of what some people will think about it.
    Xlugon Pyro and imrevned like this.
  20. Nunchi

Nunchi Cupcake

Everything is a WoW clone, of course