1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

"WoW Clone"

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Whatley, May 30, 2013.

1. imrevned

imrevned Cupcake

The Call of Duty series being the biggest WoW clones of all.
  2. Sawpaw

Sawpaw Cupcake-About-Town

Call of Duty is more like a counter strike clone... and counter strike is a WoW clone obviously...
    imrevned likes this.
  3. Dasphunk

Dasphunk Cupcake

Please... everything is a Doom clone
  4. Cruxxis

Cruxxis New Cupcake

I don't mind it being called a Wow Clone. I really enjoyed wow, Especially Vanilla Wow. If this game can bring back enjoyment anywhere close to what Vanilla Wow brought me then i will certainly stick around for a long time.
  5. Valenkeit

Valenkeit New Cupcake

I'd have to say that from what I've seen of Wildstar, which consists entirely of Youtube Videos and Devspeaks, that the game does bear a resemblance to Warcraft in terms of default UI (User Interface).

However, I daresay that Wildstar more closely resembles another NCSoft franchise: Guild Wars 2. As from the map and the questlog being in different positions, most of the design is directly out of it. Wildstar, however, is much cleaner and the UI is definitely prettier.

Anyone who calls this a WoW Clone is only saying that because the cartoon-like art styles are similar.

If it can bring back the feelings that we all had when we first played World of Warcraft (for those of us who played back then) then this game will keep us for a fairly decent time. I'd be more worried that the game doesn't burn out like SWToR did. So much potential wasted in that one; great game with a short life.
  6. Whatley

Whatley Cupcake

Mmmm, since the (Exile->Browncoat)/(Dominion->Alliance) analogy has been used before. I'll use a Firefly reference:

Firefly has a large and loyal fanbase... well they do now and as they say "a day late and a dollar short". Amazing Show, but it didn't get the chance it needed. If it had the following it does now, back when it first aired... We'd be watching a helluva lot more than 1 season. I want the same for Wildstar. A Honest shot, and so I want to try and get people to avoid jumping to conclusions only to learn later that the game is what they wanted just in a different visual package than they thought.

I mean it may look a lot like a duck, but it isn't quacking like one.
    Cuban Cowboy likes this.
  7. Inv1cted

Inv1cted Cupcake-About-Town

What WoW's default UI is a useless clunky PoS Wild star's is (from what I've seen) 1000x more streamlined and gives far better information innately without needing addons.[/quote]
  8. Valenkeit

Valenkeit New Cupcake

Personally, I've never had an issue with the default UI in Warcraft, and I've played with alternate UIs to compare. I also don't run a single addon in WoW, and I play just fine. (And yes, this includes raiding, there are enough ingame queues to warn you of something bad if you're paying attention.)
  9. Inv1cted

Inv1cted Cupcake-About-Town

LFR or HM; Tank, DPS or Heals (there can't be anyone on earth who raid heals with the default UI that would be masochistic)? Not that I don't believe you I'm just curious why you would intentionally gimp yourself like that also do you PvP seriously?
  10. Valenkeit

Valenkeit New Cupcake

I've done a variety of roles and difficulties. I can't say I ever went to HM raiding when it was an option, but I did raid during all 5 expansions of WoW without addons. Both my wife and I have raid healed without UIs addons; it doesn't both us. To me, if feels like if you're having to use something that wasn't initially part of the game, you're relying on a crutch to succeed. I mean, you don't go and buy a game like say Red Dead Redemption, and then download a mod so that you can see how many kills you've made, or a better inventory system. You play with what you have the minute you open the box to the minute you stop playing.

I don't fault people for using them; it can change the whole game for some people. But for me, it's just not something I NEED to succeed.

As for PVP, I went to Blood Guard back when you actually had to play relentlessly for titles, but beyond that, not really. Some world PVP.

This is getting off course of the topic, though. The point was that the UI is similar to WoW, but not a clone of it. If anything, it's more a cleaned up clone of Guild Wars 2, but that would make sense since it's made by Carbine and NCSoft.
  11. Bomoo

Bomoo Cupcake

A lot of people on the internet are exasperatingly (and very loudly) stupid, among them the "hurr wow clone i hate wildstar" crowd. I have no problem if someone hates this game, or anything else I may like, if they have a rational reason for their dislike. However, this is merely incoherent braying for the sake of making noise, getting a rise out of fans, or just plain stupidity. I think it would be a mistake to to treat these objectors too seriously. As has been pointed out: the game is better off without them.
  12. Elrodeus

Elrodeus Cupcake

There's no reason to. These are the kind of shallow people that will join the game just because they realize it's successful without knowing anything about it. "ZOMG it has how many subs??!!! OMG IT MUST BE AWESOME I"M LOGGING ON TO PWN EVRY1!!!!!

There's some people that join the bandwagon. Everyone else are the drivers.
  13. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

And wow is an Everquest clone. Therefore all MMOs are Everquest clones not wow clones.
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  14. Maurodax

Maurodax Cupcake

Ignorant fools are ignorant, but seriously, i have a hard time seeing Wildstar as a WoW clone, from what i've seen and heard, Wildstar is nothing like WoW, well ofcourse some things are similair (40-man raids) but if anything that is just cred to Blizz.

I can't really remember the saying, but it basically says; 'Imitation is the biggest form of flattery' or something like that.

Wildstar have alot of things WoW doesn't, housing, paths, dash/sprint and more... so no i wouldn't call it a clone, if anything i'd say they've had WoW as an inspiration, taken a few good points from WoW but they haven't copied WoW. As i said, ignorant fools are ignorant.
  15. Zybak

Zybak Cupcake-About-Town

I'm happy that this game is copying a lot of WoW's best features.

I want WoW 2.0. Nothing wrong with an improved version of a working formula.

What's sad is that WoW didn't have to start dying, it's like they wanted it to. I still can't believe the decisions they made with the game...
  16. Purple Rose

Purple Rose Cupcake-About-Town

This game is WoW clone.
    Every game after WoW's Release will be a WoW clone.
    This Game will Fail
    Every game after WoW's re;ease will fail.

End of discussion
  17. Shoogli

Shoogli Cupcake-About-Town

Ways to redirect :

1) If the community is around a game that looks like a WoW-clone too : "pot meet kettle" or any other variant would work I guess...

2) If not, just answer that you'd rather play a good WoW-clone than a bad non-WoW-clone one.

In any case, watch for how the "other game" engine handles things then you can answer :
    - At least this WoW-clone (speaking of WildStar) can handle 40 man raids or 40 vs 40 Warplots.

Look at the animation, most other MMOs have extremely *poor* animating :
    WildStar animation is top-notch.

Look at the art direction : many games have realistic arts or more polys or this or that but whenever you look at them there's *always* something that looks out of place, doesn't fit, doesn't integrate :
    WildStar art direction is very strong and everything seems it belongs there just as it should.

Besides, games that put more polys or more High-res textures just try to fool the audience on their sreenshots because it hides their very poor animation.

Also you can always play on the difficulty cord : "sorry I don't play easy games where everything is handed to me".

Look at the "other game" gameplay, most of the time you'll be able to retort that that you'd rather play a fun fast-paced WoW-clone than a 123123123 one...

Whatever happens, when someone from another community is trying to get snarky on WildStar don't hold back : look at the competition and you *WILL* find something weak that you can retort to and *everytime* you do this there will be some more open-minded people from this or that same community who will read it and who will be intrigued and will check WildStar : *these* are the people we want.

The others are just affraid and are trying to be protective...
  18. Anstalt

Anstalt Cupcake-About-Town

World of Warcraft is not a very good game.

However, it was the first "accessible" MMORPG to hit the market at a time when a large proportion of people were getting broadband. These two things ensured it was bigger than all its competitors at the time. From there, WoW has survived due to the psychology surrounding character attachment and community. Basically, if your friends are playing a game, you are more likely to play the same game. That is the reason WoW remains so popular: the content, graphics, mechanics etc are all outdated but the community of friends that people built up keep people coming back.

So, to be called a WoW-clone IS an insult because WoW is not a good game any more. MMO design has moved on to bigger and better things and WoW hasn't kept up.

What I say to people is that Wildstar is taking the best bits from WoW and combining it with the best bits from other MMOs in an attempt to create a brilliant new MMO. So, whilst it shares many similarities with WoW, Wildstar has advanced each core concept that it is implementing so that the result should be a superior MMO to everything else on the market whilst still being accessible enough to appeal to a large audience and hopefully create that all important community that is essential for long term success.
  19. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

So then that makes Wildstar a platypus!!!

AWWWESOOOOOME!!!!!!
  20. Agent Drew

Agent Drew Cupcake-About-Town

I don't think there's really any need to do anything about the naysayers. I think the best thing to do is to let them be and allow the game to speak for itself. If you game does as well as it claims with end game, leveling, pvp and all that fun stuff, word of mouth will spread to a point where even some of the most stubborn mmo gamers will have to at least check it out and see for themselves.

People are just so quick to judge based on appearance alone. Hell I remember how some of my favorite animated shows (Spectacular Spider-man being one great example) were absolutely hated by a lot of people once first images started to pop up, but once it got started and those who watched it saw how good it was many of the doubters went to check it out only to become some of that shows biggest fans.

Best thing I can say is give it time true believers.