1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

"WoW Clone"

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Whatley, May 30, 2013.

1. Alverad

Alverad Well-Known Cupcake

I don't find a 'WoW clone' phrase negative at all. In fact, I think no company out there has succeeded in making one. There are some poor imitations of it all over the place. If they actually did manage to clone it, and improve on it, it would've been a success lol.

From what we know until now, Wildstar comes across as WoW 2.0, in every positive meaning of the term. It's what WoW should've become, and failed. Everything points it will be just as polished, keeping the core ideas that made WoW great and improving on them; sailing with the changing times while not discarting those designs that work well, and have so for years.

Time will show how it will turn out, but so far, they are as close to WoW as any game ever got, plus more. It's not a bad thing.
  2. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

If the game is good, the players will come. If everything is well polished and balanced with the proper features that incentivise accessibility and progression, the game will be successful. In fact, Wildstar garnering a lot of doubters early on is probably a good thing IMO. It will pull down whatever hype train that tries to develop and holds down most people's expectations and grounds them in reality. This could very well act as a place where the game can truly prove its merit to skeptical minds.
  3. Menchi

Menchi Cupcake-About-Town

Yikes. I must be more into punishment than I thought. I did have DBM, but I never used any healer addons for either my Shaman or Pally when I was healing. Whether it was in PvP or Raids, I didn't really have any issues.

And as a note, I HATED DBM. I wish whoever came up with such a challenge-demeaning addon would DIAF.
  4. XPhiler

XPhiler Cupcake

WoW clone is an overused and completely incorrect term.

Clone doesnt imply a similar way of doing things like people use the term but rather an exact copy.
    How can any game which has a different story, art style, game play mechanics etc.. be considered a clone of something? It just can't. Not even games like Runes of Magic that tried to copy WoW very closesly can be considered a WoW clones in my opinion because they too had a lot of unique distinctive features that WoW just didnt have.

Wildstar may share certain game play mechanic and certain phylosofies with WoW. Thats after all just like WoW shares them with other games that came before it but that doesnt make a game any less original.
    SiegaPlays likes this.
  5. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

I rather not worry what the uninformed think or form their opinion about, i compare it to trying to teach a monkey science, utterly pointless, time consuming and unrewarding.
  6. Prophyrian

Prophyrian Cupcake

WoW was a great game in its prime. To call something a WoW clone, while inaccurate, is not an insult as far as I am concerned.

With anything that is developed, manufactured, written, calculated, etc...do you think it is wise to throw away the work of predecessors? Especially when that work WORKED. Why does every MMO have to be completely unique and different? Why not take the foundation that made WoW, CoH, EverQuest, etc. great games and build upon that? Throw an original IP on that foundation and BAM...Wildstar.

So while calling Wildstar a "WoW Clone" is inaccurate, I'm cool with it. I'm more skeptical of the MMOs that say "We're changing everything you ever thought you knew about MMOs", because it's trodding new ground and frankly is probably going to be a heaping pile of features with no substance.
  7. CuppitycakePrincess

CuppitycakePrincess New Cupcake

I compare it to WoW simply because WoW is the only other game I know. I'm not a gamer by any means but I like playing it's fun and doesn't require too much output from me. So of course for me the game style seems like a newer play and design style of WoW. As far as the factions go I definitely think they compare better to the factions in Firefly rather than those of WoW. But honestly I don't really care about any of the comparisons. I want to play WildStar because it looks like it'll be a lot of fun. And because I'm hoping that if I start when it comes out I won't have to deal with all the players that make fun of me in WoW because I just started recently and don't know a lot.
    Whatley likes this.
  8. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

Hell, if it comes anything close to a Vanilla WoW clone we have a winner on our hands.

It's funny how just a couple years back people would just poo poo any MMO that they considered a "WoW Clone". Now people would die to go back and play Vanilla WoW. Funny how things change.

Even, using the "Holy Trinity" was a sigh of relief, and that was after only playing GW2 for a handful of months.
    Teehk likes this.
  9. Drarorm

Drarorm Cupcake-About-Town

Wait isn't everything a WoW clone? I am pretty sure that fridge over there looks like WoW.
  10. Jansan Runo

Jansan Runo New Cupcake

All these MMOs have the same basic stuff in them. They are all clones of each other. Some have housing, some don't.they have raids, PVE, PvP, quests, action bars with spells, skills, etc, some leveling, some not. Some in space, some fntasy.

WOW was first at few of these things.

What matters if the game is fun and keeps your interest. I played WoW for 5 years, haven't played anything else for longer then 5 months. Maybe I'm MMO burned out but I am hopeful.
  11. Jansan Runo

Jansan Runo New Cupcake

If the measure of success is 8-12 million subscribers then this true.
  12. Purple Rose

Purple Rose Cupcake-About-Town

Bioware said that Subscription based games have to stop because(Add a retarded reason here).
    Your statement is wrong!
  13. Apostate

Apostate Well-Known Cupcake

I think my favorite answer to the "looks like WoW" thing would be, "Yes, a lot of the people who made WoW great now work for Carbine."
    eselle8 and Jansan Runo like this.
  14. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

I think an accurate translation for WoW clone is probably MMORPG.
    Apostate likes this.
  15. eselle8

eselle8 Well-Known Cupcake

Now that statement is a work of dignified, restrained art. I might steal it next time I see the WoW Clone claim.
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  16. Psistorm

Psistorm Cupcake-About-Town

I think the term "WoW clone" has been somewhat abused and lost its meaning. I think lately, the whole wow clone thing stands for games that want to emulate wow's success by being like it. Except no game is better at being wow than, well, wow itself. Often those clones or killers were poorly thought out and executed, and I think a lot of people only stick with wow because they like the general idea, and any games that are kind of like it and would feel familiar to them are that much worse, or f2p cashgrab schemes.

Does it look familiar? At first glance, if you don't look closely perhaps. It is vibrant, clean and stylized. But at second glance you see it is also that much more advanced, and it simply breaks with so many conventions that have been established by what I would call "core MMORPGs".
    What I mean by that is what so many games do nowadays. You get a leveling path that is mindbogglingly easy generally, you get some 5-man dungeons along the way. Then you hit cap, you get heroics, you get pvp instances, and you get raids. And that is it, by and large. Some try and strap smaller features in and hype them, but either they don't work out or are simply irrelevant.

Wildstar is becoming quite a difference from those core mmorpgs, that cookie cutter shape that many of them squeeze through and then fall apart. It is mixing up the end game, and it is doing something that is not really common to most MMOs either. gear randomization. That is something you typically only see in the diablo-style hack and slash genre, but at the same time, it should lend itself formidably to break up the monotony that is end-game gearing.
    Crafting also has been a set-and-forget thing most of the time, so I'm excited to see that crafting is something you can specialize in, and in fact, can not simply master every recipe there is just by being a crafter.

So yeah, I think the term wow clone, while referring to a successful game, often refers to a wannabe, someone wanting to ride the bandwagon of success without really thinking about why the game did well in the first place.

That said, I think it is safe to say that wildstar is not a wow clone by any means ^^
  17. Teehk

Teehk Cupcake-About-Town

i love the term WoW clone, just because WoW was a great game [Maybe not anymore] but it was!
  18. PlayerOne

PlayerOne Cupcake-About-Town

But these crusades never work. Why would anyone in their right mind listen to you when, in their eyes, you're just another fanboy raving about a game you happen to have high hopes for? Just like the fanboys who went crazy at anyone who called SW:TOR a WoW clone (BioWare wishes they were capable of that much) or the fanboys who flip their lids when people said GW2 was shallow and any thoughts of it being the next big esport were hilarious.

This is the same. I am not saying it'll be a flop or bad, I am saying people will make up their own minds just like they always have. And, if this turns out to be really good and still flops (like the TV series you talk about) then all they/we can do is look to their publicity department.

Raging at anyone who says WoW clone will not help you or the game. You'll just become 'that guy'. I don't believe anyone wants to be him.
  19. Drapetomania

Drapetomania Cupcake

So, guys, what was that game that came out 10ish years ago that was just an Everquest clone?
  20. Purple Rose

Purple Rose Cupcake-About-Town

WoW never cloned an other game.All Games Clone WoW.
    Its pretty much the Chuck Norris of MMORPG Scene.

And to talk seriously....
    World of Warcraft is the most successful MMORPG in the history of gaming.

Not only by the hype people had by playing it but also by the sub numbers that still has.
    8 million subs are far away from Many other wow killers(Don't count Eve here cause never entered that battle).

Swtor for example that was going to be the next mmorpg that will make gaming different has less than 500.000 subs,(even less than EvE online that is second)and has a free to play model also to survive.If you do the simple maths you will notice that WoW has almost 8 million subs more than the second game.If a game can touch this we can talk about it again.

Tho saying a game WoW clone is retarded its companies fault that didn't make a game that will stand more than a month and its not complete failure at all levels like Swtor.

If your plans are to make a huge noise in the market.Steal some people from WoW.Survive one month with pre-orders and staff.Then announce free to play model and move on its your fault.Not WoW clones funboys
    Teehk likes this.