1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Wowhead-like website for WildStar?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by UKcheese, Jul 23, 2013.

?

Would you like a website like Wowhead.com for WildStar ?

1. Yes.

60 vote(s)
    84.5%
  2. No.

8 vote(s)
    11.3%
  3. I don't care.

3 vote(s)
    4.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UKcheese

UKcheese Cupcake

In my opinion every MMORPG needs a website like Wowhead.com, it's so useful !

For those of you who don't know what it is : "Wowhead is a World of Warcraft information database featuring a JavaScript interface. The site catalogs items, quests, talents, and much more — all able to be searched, sorted, and arranged to find the information needed. Wowhead is currently the only major database website that has been mentioned by Blizzard in their Community Spotlight." (source: http://www.wowwiki.com/Wowhead )

Guild Wars 2 went out without any website like that and now the only way to check out the gear etc is to go on the wiki which lacks a lot of information.

If anyone has website designing/coding experience (especially with JavaScript!) and time please answer to this thread. I have basic knowledge but not enough to design a full website. I'm sure we could do it with enough people who know what they are doing.

Also if it's not possible please tell me here, I don't want to try if it isn't.
    I want to know your opinion people !
    Aheadache likes this.
  2. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

Wowhead is cheating. Besides whether we want one or not is immaterial, it will exist.
    Mellkor likes this.
  3. UKcheese

UKcheese Cupcake

How in the world is Wowhead cheating ?
  4. NigthmareSystem

NigthmareSystem Cupcake-About-Town

I'm sure they will make one, like they did with SWTOR and GuildWars
  5. Livnthedream

Cartographer likes this.
  6. UKcheese

UKcheese Cupcake

I don't know about SWTOR but the Guild Wars 2 wiki is lacking a lot of information like I said.
    In Wowhead every single thing in the game is there, every piece of gear comes with a picture !
    There's even a talent calculator etc
  7. UKcheese

UKcheese Cupcake

8. Zyd

Zyd Cupcake

Eventually they're going to release it for the public, i believe there's people working on it right now, but since everything is NDA we gotta wait.
  9. NigthmareSystem

NigthmareSystem Cupcake-About-Town

well he didn't talk about the Wiki, he talked about Wowhead and their brother sites about other games, where they do datamining to find items, quest, titles, etc and show how get them
  10. UKcheese

UKcheese Cupcake

If Carbine did it themselves it would be great. However, if it's designed by a third party it could end up badly.
  11. UKcheese

UKcheese Cupcake

Well, I was speaking of wowhead :p.
    In other words an item catalog.
  12. Livnthedream

Then you need to do more than read the first paragraph. Information itself is part of the games mechanics. Telling you what is there, where to get it, and yes even how to get it, can all be seen as cheating.
    Milamilou and Sapien like this.
  13. WSN UnUs

WSN UnUs Cupcake

Its called a Item Database. And yes i am sure there will be one . If carbine doesn't implement one there self.
    UKcheese likes this.
  14. UKcheese

UKcheese Cupcake

Are you proposing to raiders to spend hours killing a boss not knowing what will drop off him ?
    I wouldn't, that's for sure.
    What a lot of people like to do in MMORPG is too farm and work to get one specific item.
    Imagine if there wasn't a GuildWars2 wiki, nobody would get legendary weapons as the way to craft them is very specific and is not pointed out by Arenanet in any way
  15. Painguin

Painguin Cupcake

I have been wondering about this, and I really hope that they do. For me, playing Wow without Wowhead was really hard, with it, you could easily find problems with quests, and how to get some rare mounts. So I really really hope they do make one.
    Ianpact likes this.
  16. αRomeo

αRomeo Cupcake-About-Town

Then I like to cheat in my MMOs, and I guess a lot of other people as well. But these things, like WoWhead are there for convinience, like, instead of filling up the general chat with lots of questions about where x item drops or who drops it, you can simply alt tab and browse for it in Wildhead or whatever they decide to call it. :p
    UKcheese likes this.
  17. Livnthedream

Why not? That is exactly how Eq was prior to Allakhazam. Even early WoW used to collate data between top guilds to build the database of what dropped where. It was not really until BC that patches started getting datamined so we knew what dropped where.

Which was due entirely because they knew that the community would collate the data and put it together. Again, actually read all of that blogpost instead of just the first paragraph and a skim.

Lots of people like to cheat, does not make it a good thing. Perhaps you too should read the post I linked as he makes a pretty interesting case that you are perhaps playing the wrong game. God knows that a large number of players are. Its why we see as much complaining as we do. Look at the number of people trying to put sand in themeparks for example.
    Milamilou and Mellkor like this.
  18. UKcheese

UKcheese Cupcake

That blog post is awfully long :p
    Also, imagine an item had like a 1% chance of dropping from a boss, it could take a long long time before anyone would know it did drop... Imo that really wouldn't be fun, and I think most people would agree with me.
  19. Livnthedream

So instead of actually seeking education you would rather everyone just agree with you? I could copy/paste it for you too, are you going to refuse to read that also? If you say yes to either of those then you are a large part of what is wrong with the playerbase today.

So? Since when is everything in any game entirely about fun? Also, since when do the herd know what is best? I am sure the majority of people would agree that paying taxes sucks, it does not mean we do away with taxes.
    Milamilou, Cartographer and Mellkor like this.
  20. NewGuy

NewGuy Cupcake

It will be interesting to see if some players would even need an external data base like this, well specifically I'm referring to the scientist log which from what I've seen has info on mobs, areas and (I assume) items.

maybe all the non scientist might need a site like this, but It will still be interesting to see just how indepth that log is.
    Aheadache and UKcheese like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.