1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Wowhead-like website for WildStar?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by UKcheese, Jul 23, 2013.

?

Would you like a website like Wowhead.com for WildStar ?

1. Yes.

60 vote(s)
    84.5%
  2. No.

8 vote(s)
    11.3%
  3. I don't care.

3 vote(s)
    4.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cartographer

Cartographer Cupcake-About-Town

I levelled to 60 in vanilla WoW without realising such a thing as item databases existed.
    I discovered Thott and Alakazam and levelled my second char in about a fifth the time.

I must say, I didn't expect to have my initial opinion changed, but I followed Livn's link, read the blog, and dammit changed my mind. Now, this doesn't mean I won't tab out to WildHead or whatever at some point, but I will feel dirty about doing it.
    Livnthedream likes this.
  2. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

Don't know why people think they can stop it, if it's not wowhead. It will be another site as it being "cheating", so far i know you still have the personal choice of doing so or not.

If i want to look up what drops where it's simply a matter of common sense.
    Livnthedream likes this.
  3. Lucker McNoob

Lucker McNoob Cupcake

I do care about the journey of acquiring the pet, I just have a different journey than you and Ralph.

Going outside of the game "for gear" is also knowledge?

I never said I didn't have fun.

Or when players feel entitled to tell other players how to enjoy the game.
    Ianpact likes this.
  4. Cartographer

Cartographer Cupcake-About-Town

I'd say you don't at all, by your own admission, you cared about owning them, not the act of aquiring them. That is a flaw in the game design.

Yes, it is.
    Aside from it all being data in the most basic sense, all money is essentially tokens representing your time. Paying for something is exchanging your time for it.
    Now, in a game you can expend time learning in-game, you can expend time in the form of money for gear ala-RMT and you can go externally, read on someone's website, expending time there (and paying them with traffic) and "cheat" the game rules.

Except you did, when you admitted to going outside of the game.
    If the game was doing its job right, you'd have fun inside the game finding the mobs you were looking for and wouldn't have to go outside.

Your answer is rather frippant, allow me to retort in kind. What you do, without affecting anyone else, is your own business, when your actions impact on others, it becomes their business.
    Livnthedream and Sapien like this.
  5. AusterlitZ

AusterlitZ Well-Known Cupcake

people that think databases are cheating must be...i'm not even going to debate it,it's that stupid of a statement
    Ianpact and vicksen like this.
  6. Zellfel

Zellfel Cupcake-About-Town

Yes, it's inevitable. Since Wildstar supports addons, I'm sure the *head websites are going to make an addon for it similar to WoW to collect data. Only the first wave of players will be unable to use it and have to find things the old fashioned way.

Now I'm waiting for the "Addons are cheating" discussion.
  7. Aldamar

Aldamar New Cupcake

This.

Also a DB has lot of function. I can browse weapons, consumables, recipes, search for the location of the nodes etc.

In 2013 are basic infos for an MMO without been ezy mode.
    vicksen likes this.
  8. Jarek

Jarek New Cupcake

If all information is cheating, then why have forums... or chat channels come to think of it - especially noob or help channels? Now do I agree with data-mining all the content to provide all the knowledge in advance? No, but then I also don't agree that all data bases or guides are evil.

Not everyone wants to spend weeks or even months working out a specific puzzle - especially if it gates other content they are interested in. In addition not all guilds are happy to have Jhonny-come-know-nothing along for a raid if he is going to get them all wiped repeatedly because he doesn't know the strategy.

MMOs are about sharing at their core, a database is an extension of that - the real question should be what should be hidden and what shared?
  9. Sapien

Sapien Cupcake-About-Town

I think the day that gamedevelopers doing a "wowhead"-site to their game couse its needed, that day i wont see it as "cheating" anylonger. I see it like this, all info i need about the game is on the mainsite, the rest is for me ingame to find out. For me to findout things ingame, make the game so much more and richer. If i goin and looking on the webb for info, i am making the game smaller instantly.
    ..And yes i rather ask someone ingame if i gat a question, then looking it out on internet, couse that makes my social bit ingame richer too.
    Remember this is what i think and how i play the game. ;)
    Livnthedream likes this.
  10. atom

atom Cupcake-About-Town

One already exists.
  11. FairyTailisBack

FairyTailisBack Cupcake-About-Town

This x10.

What is the point of this poll?
    "Would you like a website like Wowhead.com for WildStar ?"
    It doesn't matter what you like or want, because a database site will exist, even if I have to make it myself.
    vicksen likes this.
  12. Rentah

Rentah Cupcake-About-Town

I kind of agree with OP. It feels like cheating to just check up the information you want rather than trying to find it ingame. But on the other hand. I'm used to it. In WoW, When i was doing a quest i didnt understand. Wowhead told me = Cheat. Instead of trying. checking. Just giving up. You went onto a website to get the answers. That is cheating in a general sense isnt it? :)
  13. vicksen

vicksen Cupcake

It's not that it's ambiguous, it's that it's wrong.

The statement above is highly variable based on design decisions for particular games and comes back down to the fact that you're only arguing against something because you don't personally like it--which is not an argument against the thing, it's an argument against you personally doing the thing.

Everyone has a different play-style and if you cannot personally enjoy a game because an informational database on it exists, then you should not be playing that game--not arguing that database should not exist just so that you can enjoy it.
    eselle8 and BlueDragon18 like this.
  14. FoolishLobster

FoolishLobster Cupcake

A large majority of answers you'll get will probably be "WildStarHead it".
  15. BlueDragon18

BlueDragon18 Cupcake-About-Town

I'll paraphrase Jeremy Gaffney. "We don't like walkthroughs, we like strategy guides." They're designing the game to make a walk through impossible for all major content as it will change on a weekly basis (raids in particular). As for cheating as defined above, no. Nobody is hacking or exploiting. They're playing the game with some help. No different from having a level 60 player in your group explaining a difficult new area, or someone in RL in the jungle warning you of a hidden pit 20 feet ahead that you don't want to fall in.
  16. Sapien

Sapien Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah, i know - Couse this is how i play MMO's,not only Wildstar when it coming.
    But ask the right people and with that little question, one can make new friends, as an example.
  17. FairyTailisBack

FairyTailisBack Cupcake-About-Town

I guarantee you that the 6 people complaining about database sites are used addons in WoW. Addons which drastically altered gameplay far more than a database site ever could hope to. Heck, heroic instances are designed such that they expect you to have addons. If Wowhead is cheating, then addons are hacking. They probably used WoWhead too, but I will avoid calling them hypocrites, and let my original point stand. :)
  18. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

I like the databases and they help if I am unable to figure out things or don't have the time, or if I am looking for upgrades and where to get them. I vote yes to the idea of a Wildstar database.
  19. Fingers

Fingers Cupcake-About-Town

I was thinking hypocrisy, too - it's rampant. It's a tedious attitude not unlike the elderly grandparent that look down on you because that's not the way they did it in their day.

I'd wager the majority of raiders, if not all, use such websites to an extent for advice on rotations - even theory crafters pool resources to arrive at conclusions and solve problems.

If one degree is wrong then all are: refusing to help the guy who's struggling with his rotation or is having difficulties in game because some consider it cheating would cause me to question myself as a person. It's petty and in this particular instance unkind and bad for the community.

As others have mentioned how does this differ from in game communication? Am I expected to remain secretive about something that would clearly help someone? What kind of community are we talking about that denies a fellow player help. It's not the same as looking for something on a website but for the purpose of this argument it is.

A raid group down a boss and then find a few regulars can't make the following raid so they have to take some unfamiliar with the encounter on the next occasion. According to a few they shouldn't be advised what to expect. To give them any information is cheating and asking them to check for details on the encounter is taboo. Extreme example? There aren't any in this argument - according to the argument holding any information you haven't found yourself is cheating. it's all the same.

And strictly speaking I shouldn't be helping others to level because I didn't get help so others should have to do it themselves. I'm showing them places they should discover themselves.

Beginning to see how petty it all is?

And then of course there's the addons mentioned here, that none of those self appointed judges use. And if you want to stretch it programmable mice.

I just find the whole attitude surreal.

Seeking help, advice online or of others is all the same and those that would deprive a huge number of their community this for a slither of self accomplishment leave me, quite frankly, flabbergasted.

If you need that challenge of doing something without help and would play while denying others any assistance because to do so would lessen your own sense of accomplishment then by all means do so. I'll play the game my way and I won't look to tell anyone they're playing the game incorrectly.

Thank you.
    Ianpact likes this.
  20. Pmizzrym

Pmizzrym Cupcake-About-Town

Would you like a website like Wowhead.com for WildStar ?

Yes
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.