1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Wowhead-like website for WildStar?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by UKcheese, Jul 23, 2013.

?

Would you like a website like Wowhead.com for WildStar ?

1. Yes.

60 vote(s)
    84.5%
  2. No.

8 vote(s)
    11.3%
  3. I don't care.

3 vote(s)
    4.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ImpactHound

ImpactHound Cupcake-About-Town

It's up to the game designers to be offended by outside resources and collaboration to then design or change the game systems. If there are guides on where to mine Orichalcum on a streamlined path in GW2's zombieland, it's up to ANet to move or change the spawns. Either cycle preset spawn-maps to move locations around, or deliberately remove or add spawns to the existing map, or completely change the material from Orr to another zone where it typically isn't expected like Mount Maelstrom. As the players adapt and change their famring routines, change it again.

When you have certain elements made static or routine, they are subject to categorization and filing into systems for gathering, systems for tracking, systems for economic exploitation, etc. I'm not saying everything has to be updated minute-to-minute by game masters, but people are going to "theme park" things like ore or crafting recipes if they aren't livened up by the touch a Dungeon Master would do in a regular pen & paper adventure.

Oh, you were about to craft a perfect chestplate for yourself? Well a bunch of ettins just rampaged thru here and stole all the smithing anvils! You can't! Do you go on a quest to get them back and make sure your town isn't sacked again so you have conveniences, or go somewhere else to try and craft? That's the sort of dynamic and interesting content that I think developers want either conciously or unconciously, but can't necessarily deliver with so many automated, static themepark elements.
    Livnthedream likes this.
  2. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

Does anyone remember back in the 80/90's There were "cheat lines" where you would consult a company on where an item was or how to kill a boss...

Now if memory servers me it was socially perceived as cheating back then to ring those lines. Interesting how the perception has changed..
    Livnthedream and Sapien like this.
  3. Infamouz

Infamouz Well-Known Cupcake

I do not think anyone can stop it, as I said Wildstar will have it's Wowhead maybe even from the same company that created WoWhead. I don't mind if people use wowhead or any site like that, it is completelly their own decision. There are many people who don't care a flying f about questing and I am completelly fine with this, not all content is fun for everyone. If you do use that kind of a database please have the balls and just say you cheated a bit to get the content done faster.

It's cheating in same sence as looking ansver to a exam question from your telephone or memo is.
    Sure there is no penalty like there is in educational world, but that doesn't mean you aren't cheating. You were unable to produce ansver to the given question and instead of trying harder you decided to use outside material in order to succeed.
    I do not mind if people do cheat in this way in the games, because it does in no way harm my chances of success or put me in to a worse position than you in the game. You can check everything from wowhead if you wish, I won't lose any sleep over it. If questing is not your cup of tea, you most likely ain't even losing any fun or a good gaming experience by doing so.

*Insert Teal'c voice* Indeed. I use wowhead my self, and I know it is cheating and I know that every time I do so, god kills a puppy. Happily enough god has alot of puppys to spare so I am sure we won't be facing a puppy extinction anytime soon.
    My UI is massivelly modified, which in my opinion gives a little advantage in comparison to people who use default UI. The people who use default UI say that my UI gives me disadvantage compared to them because my UI might have bugs or it might be too cluttered, both being false accusations. If they like their default UI and are successfull with it, then by all means go ahead and continue, I do not really care.

I don't use wowhead on quests that I think are fun and I feel do not waste my time for nothing.
    At times I do have to use wowhead because developers have failed to give me interesting quests that arent even hard to complete, they are just generally badly made. At times the developers completely underestimate the intelligence of their customers and put quests such as; Shizz Work and A Rare Bean in to their game, quests in which you are actually expected to run around the world and dig some beans from sh1t, seriously Blizzard?

I decide to cheat on content that I think is unfun, uninteresting or just plain insulting towards me as a player.
    I know I cheated my way trough, but so what? It's between me and almighty Spaghetti Monster.

That is completelly false.
    Livnthedream likes this.
  4. FairyTailisBack

FairyTailisBack Cupcake-About-Town

Wowhead is no more cheating than asking someone where something is. it is the exact same principle, only increased exponentially.

You ask someone in game.
    You join a forum to ask questions.
    You join a larger forum.
    You visit a website that consolidates info into a database.

It is a natural evolution.

Blizzard designs raids with addons like DBM in mind.
    They know they exist, and they know they greatly trivialize encounters.
    Yet, they still have to make them challenging in some way.
    The only way to do this is to keep everything the player base has and uses into consideration.
  5. ImpactHound

ImpactHound Cupcake-About-Town

I called the Nintendo Power Hotline once for the NES game Wolverine. Hard, hard game, got all the way to the end and couldn't figure out how to kill Sabertooth at the end, turns out you can't actually damage him, you have to punch him off a cliff. I didn't even do it, I just stopped playing. "That was it? That's all I have to do?" I was so mad.
    Livnthedream and Mellkor like this.
  6. Fingers

Fingers Cupcake-About-Town

I do indeed remember those - I phoned a few times on very old games but can't recall which :). Also, if you were lucky you might occasionally come across a tip in a magazine that might help you past something that had you stumped.
  7. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

Wowhead didn't kill of exploring or introduced speed questing though, generally people only use it if they are stuck or a lot of us turned to those things to simply see if it was bugged or not. Especially if you come from a before wow era of mmo's were quest bugs were plentiful and not well documented, looking things up became second nature so you didn't spend 2 hours looking to finally get a guy sending you a tell "hey dude it's bugged don't bother".

Things like questhelper and especially zygor removed all thinking with arrows pointing you and even automated quest hand in and reward picking.

I have to say i generally use it to see what drops where, i also used it to look up boss abilities to see what things actually did because that's how you did things before you had that silly raid journal.

Beyond that i've always gotten used to using external resources to perfect my gameplay, during my raiding days simulation apps were used at least a couple times per week.
    Livnthedream likes this.
  8. Cartographer

Cartographer Cupcake-About-Town

It took nearly 4 pages for people to get defensive and somehow assume one side was calling for the end of WoWhead and the like, not bad, I expected it to hit a lot sooner than that.

You cheat.
    I cheat.
    We all cheat.

Get over it!
    Livnthedream likes this.
  9. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

That would be my guess.
  10. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

<Mod Face> This has got way out of hand, I'm locking this thread. Keep threads civil guys or you're just going to lose access to the forum. Honestly, that would be a shame. </Mod Face>
    Ianpact likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.