1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

WS Art Style and Graphics

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Xalon, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Xalon

Xalon Cupcake-About-Town

Not sure if this is against NDA if so delete it please, not asking for screenshots but just asking how good it looks.
  2. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

The only people that can tell you are under nda.
  3. Xalon

Xalon Cupcake-About-Town

Like I asked is it against NDA to just say it looks really good or it's average? If so then yea delete. Or what about people that live in america and have played it in SDCC or w/e, implying they were running highest graphics ( doubt it )
  4. Drarorm

Drarorm Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah't that under NDA.
    But have a look at some gameplay and screenshots.
  5. Xalon

Xalon Cupcake-About-Town

Ok thanks, youtube really doesn't give you a good idea XD but I tried screenshots and the recent ones specially Mordesh look quite nice :)
  6. EtherealOmega

EtherealOmega Cupcake-About-Town

It looks a lot better than WoW, that's for sure. The graphics are along a similar thought process (much like Nintendo's own love of cell shading) which allows for a wider range of PC specs being able to support it. I'm sure if you have a relatively new graphic card (last 2 years) you will be able to max out all the important stuff.
  7. Fornix

Fornix Cupcake

I think the latest screenshots will give you a fairly good idea on as to what the game will relatively look like on high(est) settings. And in that it's most definitely a game with its own style, so in terms of how beautiful it's really going to depend on your taste. Most likely you'll either love it or hate it.
  8. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

After playing it at Rezzed I can tell you the game looks very purdy indeed. Deradune has a vibrant colour palette and the ground looks painted rather than tiled. Although WS is aiming for that same arty/accessible graphics style I have to say they've done it extremely well.
  9. Xalon

Xalon Cupcake-About-Town

LOVE LOVE painted ground, one of my pet peeves in any MMORPG is <REDACTED>ing textures. I'd rather green ground than those ugly textures that make it look realistic from far away.

I really like the general art style reminds me a lot of WoW and looks generally appealing and comical
  10. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

It's the environment though, plants in rivers sway and rivers have currents you genuinely have to fight against, this info might all of changed though. The Rezzed build is now months months old.
  11. BlueDragon18

BlueDragon18 Cupcake-About-Town

Ah ha! I thought I saw that Chua moving against a current. I truly hope that they keep that. Not having currents in rivers move your character is one of the things that has really bugged me in MMOs so far. (Yeah, so what? If it bugs me it bugs me...lol)
  12. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

The benefits of stylized means they can go very high with graphics effects and also very low and still look good.

What we have seen so far it looks very much up to date with everything modern you can expect.
  13. Rentah

Rentah Cupcake-About-Town

I'd say like Tera detail and res with the cosmetics of WoW. Like. 1 coloured chins, hair isnt multicolored etc :)
  14. Prophyrian

Prophyrian Cupcake

From what we have seen in videos and playthroughs, it looks pretty good. But its an artistic style game, not realistic. So its more about color schemes then graphical prowess, which W* seems to have in abundance.

I love the cartoony/artistic style over realism. When you go with realism, you are immediately putting a timestamp on your game. It ages over time. But with artistic style, it ages more gracefully since the graphics are exactly how the developers wanted to portray the game and it really doesn't matter how real it looks.
  15. StarSloth

StarSloth New Cupcake

Don't get me wrong, it's original and high quality, but I am not thrilled about the direction they chose. Everything is just so flipping cute, all over, everywhere. Even the movement I've seen is cute. The mechari, an 'evil' robot race literally prance everywhere. I don't find it funny, amusing, or endearing. I find it flat out annoying and difficult to identify with. I'm just venting a bit 'cause I'm super excited for all the other aspects of the game... just not the art, and I hope I can get past that.

Anyone else feel the same?
  16. Zellfel

Zellfel Cupcake-About-Town

Actually no, I find it refreshing where I'm inundated by games filled with washed out grays and browns and the "gritty realism." Then again, one of the first MMOs I really immersed myself in was Ragnarok Online where you see stuff like this:

[​IMG]

Yeah, I'd say I'm biased. Believe me though, I understand where you're coming from. Both my brother in law and my former SWTOR guild master have no plans to play due to the Pixar-ish cartoony art style. They demand more realistic graphics wherever they go, and they plan on staying on GW2 and TESO. I also once knew a guy who refused to play Chrono Trigger because he hated Akira Toriyama's art style. I hope the rest of the game is enjoyable enough for you to stick with it though.
  17. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

Not really, games like TF2 are games on my most played list with a couple of hundred hours even when coming back from graphical better looking games tech wise, it never really strikes me as unappealing as other games do.
    Apostate likes this.
  18. Prophyrian

Prophyrian Cupcake

@StarSloth

Love the art style. We haven't seen enough to judge later content. It may not be so cute when you get to elder game. Scenes from the early dungeon looked dark and suspenseful, so you might just not be pleased with the starter areas.

But I totally agree with the Mechari "prance". That seems out of place to me. I feel they could have made the legs operate more like a pair of pistons (not literally) that propelled the Mechari forward. Instead they frolic, like I would expect an Aurin to. I intended to play Mechari too, but run animations always make or break a toon for me (I could never play Tauren since they felt so slow).
  19. Apostate

Apostate Well-Known Cupcake

Yes and no. I dislike certain choices they've made within the style, but I like the style itself. I'm not a big fan of the Mechari prance, but... I have no intention of playing one, so it doesn't really bother me.

I like the art style itself because it allows for a world that's much more vivid than a realism-based style. The things I've seen them do with environment and character design so far have me looking forward to seeing more.
  20. Apostate

Apostate Well-Known Cupcake

There's this, too. This kind of art ages well, which is especially important for an MMO.