1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

WS Art Style and Graphics

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Xalon, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Kipal

Kipal New Cupcake

Of course people other than you dislike the art style. There will always be critics of art styles, no matter what.

I personally prefer it. It goes well with the humor that Carbine Inc. have built up around the game and saturated it with. It also detracts from the otherwise grim nature of two of the characters. After all, the Mordesh are a race of presently sane flesh-eating zombies and Chuas are nightmare rodents who live for chaos and destruction. They wouldn't be the weird and cuddly (respectively) races that they are now without the art direction Wildstar took.
  2. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

<Mod Face> Preemptively merged these threads as their conversations are extremely similar. Nothing to see here, continue with you business! </Mod Face>
  3. Smedly

Smedly Cupcake

I love the art style, it makes me think of Borderlands without the very thick black outlines on everything!

I believe that if you want an MMO that you believe is going to last a very long time on the same engine, then it has to have some form of cartoon-ish feel or some art style that will always be refreshing to look at so it doesn't feel like its aging too much...
  4. Mierelle

Mierelle Cupcake-About-Town

I can agree with you about the 'silly' tone over the grim, or in your words 'cute', but this doesn't have to be a bad thing. One the cartoon art style rather than realism, I find it having more potensial of what it lets them create in the world as well as removing the flaws in the details that you often see in the realism graphics.
  5. StarSloth

StarSloth New Cupcake

Borderlands is actually a great example of a game being cartoony and humorous without being overly cute. Borderlends sense of humor was darker, more of a MUAHAHAHA kind of laugh. W* is more of a cute, teeheeehee kind of laugh....
  6. Reeve

Reeve Cupcake-About-Town

Yikes! I love ChronoTrigger's art style. Actually, generally speaking I far FAR prefer a cartoony art style to a realistic art style. Maybe it's that whole uncanny valley thing, but I just don't like it when a game tries to pretend it's real life.
  7. Flyinapplez

Flyinapplez New Cupcake

From the videos I've seen I happen to really enjoy the graphics style that WS has set for itself, not to mention I've always enjoyed a more toon-ish art style than a realistic fantasy style most mmos have. Eh that's just me though.