1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

WSC Exclusive - Pay It Forward

Discussion in 'WildStar News' started by Zap-Robo, Jun 27, 2013.

1. ScruffyHealer

ScruffyHealer Cupcake

This is great, now we at least know when to expect the invites, although if I don't get picked I'll probably keep refreshing my mail for the rest of the week, wondering, hoping :)
    Roques likes this.
  2. Ribak

Ribak Cupcake

I designed mine with only enough content for a few days that I thought the pay it forward stuff was going to last. I didn't have a month's worth of Stephan Frost jokes to put on my facebook page. I really hope they understand that. I got most of the publicly known Dev Team to like it with their personal pages, I got a Vine response on their twitter account. I really hope I get one. This waiting and waiting for information was frustrating.

I don't understand why this took so long to iron out. I imagine that what was a spur of the moment idea blew way out of their expectations. From there they scrambled to get together a framework to handle it all, and to set in place some protocol for the event. This is a lesson to everyone in how to manage an organization, it is OK to be spontaneous IF you can back that spontaneity up with currently in place systems. You do not want to develop things like this on the fly. It has created a lot of confusion when it should have created a lot of excitement. It had a lot of people scratching heads instead of participating in a massive outbreak of creativity.
  3. Roques

Roques Cupcake

Kenyar likes this.
  4. Superreccaman

Superreccaman Cupcake

So what is our guess as to how many "winners" there will be?
  5. Kenyar

Kenyar New Cupcake

6. squa1o

squa1o New Cupcake

Everyone is a winner !! :D No srsly, they need to send out invites anyway, so why wouldn't they invite people that have done something over random people?
  7. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

How late today will PIF submissions be accepted? I submitted mine fairly late but it's still the 5th so I'm hoping I have a chance at the draw! Great opportunity by Carbine and I'm glad to see them engage the community in such a way.​
    Hope I still have a chance! :D
  8. ScruffyHealer

ScruffyHealer Cupcake

I'm pretty sure they will be looking through them over the weekend, so anything before Saturday morning will probably be accepted, unless the thread gets locked at midnight, which is just about 4 hours away, so don't worry.
  9. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Well it's in so if submissions are still allowed as of an hour ago, then I got it in in time! :)
  10. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

Well, hope Carbine is able to sift through all that. I was surprised how much self promotion was going on. I thought pay it forward would bring more promotion of others. Definitely some good reads in the submission thread. Hope the deserving get beta invites.
  11. ScruffyHealer

ScruffyHealer Cupcake

Really? The whole thing started as a way to promote yourself.
    I guess we shouldn't look at it as a "pay it forward" thing anymore, it evolved into something else entirely, a "look what WildStar inspired me to create" kind of thing.
  12. Fae

Fae New Cupcake

2. Upload your artwork, with an explanation of what it is and why you made it, to this thread.
    3. Link to your fan-made videos and music, and then describe what it is and why you made it.
    4. Written submissions (poetry, stories, etc) need to be posted to this thread.

While the first rule did state that it was about naming others who you felt deserved it pay attention to rules 2,3, and 4.

If you looked at the following rules. This implied that this was also allowed. As for pay it forward? The concept "pay it forward" has nothing to do with the event really, at least in the way that you did it. What pay it forward means is that you randomly help someone else out, and tell them that the only thing they need to do is to help one or two others out. (See the movie titled, "Pay it forward") . It has NOTHING to do with rewarding those who have contributed. Not that contributing something and getting something good as a result is a bad thing. But again nothing to do with "Paying it forward"

That being said, all this is ... or was a name for the event. So don't get all caught up on it.
  13. Mykol

Mykol Cupcake

I could be wrong but I believe that it's Carbine Studios that is doing the "Paying it forward". The people creating the art and stories and dialogue are promoting the game and they are rewarding that effort with beta keys.
  14. ScruffyHealer

ScruffyHealer Cupcake

But the definition for pay it forward states that the original benefactor (in this case the people that submitted) do not get rewarded, instead Carbine is supposed to do a good deed for someone else...so...eh...no one here gets a beta key, instead random other people get it?

Unless we look at Carbine as the original benefactor that gives out beta keys. Those that receive the keys pay it forward by doing good deeds for the community. But what we are doing is kinda in reverse...so...pay it forward was maybe not the best title for this whole event?;)

All I know is that the poor kid in the movie gets stabbed, not good!
  15. Myrrdhinn

Myrrdhinn Well-Known Cupcake

:alien:

Uhm.. guys. Just wait till Carbine selects the winners. Only they know how they select the best submissions. Please be patient. :D
  16. ScruffyHealer

ScruffyHealer Cupcake

Yes, of course. No one is being impatient though, we are simply discussing the name that they chose for this event, Pay It Forward doesn't really work, wouldn't you agree? :p
    Mykol likes this.
  17. Roques

Roques Cupcake

What good would a forum be if we can't discuss what's on each other's minds? We just jammin out man. While we all wait for the 8th :p

Oh and just a comment on ScruffyHealer's postings about this not really being a pay it forward. Why wouldn't it be? People creating YouTube videos, FanArt, Reviews, Word of Mouth etc.. are a way of them giving back to the community once they've received that benefit elsewhere. They receive nothing in return besides providing that information and content to other users out of pure enjoyment or care. WildStar wanted examples of how we as a community, have done that in the past. It IS a Pay-it-forward instance. You're just looking at the Event and not the whole shaabang. Or you can nominate someone else currently and Pay it Forward. Both scenarios are correct representation of Pay it Forward.
  18. ScruffyHealer

ScruffyHealer Cupcake

My comment about the pay it forward initiative was a reply to another comment, I was simply trying to explain that it can't be called Pay It Forward when the original benefactor gets a reward for his deed. I do understand what you are saying, and I understand what Carbine wanted, but it's not what this initiative is anymore. Most of the content created here is for the sole purpose of winning a beta key, not what paying it forward is all about.

I would also just like to say that I don't agree that the YouTubers and reviewers are paying anything forward, most of them are doing it for the views (not the ones creating the raps, trailers and stuff, but others like Kaeyi Dream). Not that anything is wrong with that, it's great, just doesn't fit the definition, that is all.
  19. Mykol

Mykol Cupcake

I bet the folks at Carbine Studios are just tickled pink knowing that we are all obsessing over their game even though we've never tried it and know very little of what Wildstar fully entails. Its gotta feel good to be appreciated like this.
    ScruffyHealer likes this.
  20. Superreccaman

Superreccaman Cupcake

Well that could go one of 2 ways for them. I don't know about you, but when someone tells me a movie is absolutely amazing and I go see it, it's not as good as if they would have just not told me anything. The fact that I am so pumped for this game, along with many others, could be setting us up for a let down. Now I don't expect this to happen, but it very well could and might hurt Carbine short term if the game isn't polished enough. The one thing they HAVE to do is get the people that are pumped right now to love the game at launch so we can all sell it to our friends. I've been trying to sell it to my friends for a while, but they are all skeptics so I need to be wowed to be able to explain to them why this, this, and this are so awesome.