1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

WSC Exclusive - Witty WildStar Competition

Discussion in 'Community News' started by Zap-Robo, Feb 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inukeu

Inukeu Well-Known Cupcake

there was a sever lack of Mordesh jokes it would be nice if the jokes continued though they were amusing atleast
  2. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

Nope - I read every single joke. If it made me laugh, it made the shortlist. Then I trimmed down from there.
    Kataryna likes this.
  3. Tyler M Cooper

Tyler M Cooper New Cupcake

4. Zap-Robo

A lot of the jokes submitted were just race/class substitutions into classic jokes.

The key to winning with those was how seamless they fitted into the WildStar universe (IMO) while still maintaining the flow of the joke
  5. Lonailan

Lonailan New Cupcake

Sorry to disagree, but it looks random. Most of them jokes are copies and do not have to do anything with wildstar. For me, most of them for not funny, but that should be no criteria since everyone has a different opinion on that.

While i made up a new one which is wildstar-related...just posting to get feedback. Next time, maybe dont focus the choice in one person, instead let a TEAM decide as you announced.
    And yes, im disappointed losing to what you posted. It would be ok if it was real, not copied jokes...you said it was a crafting contest, not a copy contest.

After a long day in the lab, a Cassian and a Chua engineer are a sitting in a bar and talking about their recent projects.
    The Cassian says: "I got this great machine almost finished today, all i need is a reliable power source. Would you mind helping me with this one?"
    The Chua feels flattered and so answers: "Well then, it would be a pleasure to me helping you."
    Cassian replys: "Great, you dont know how hard it is to find someone who fits into the running weel!"
    Tyler M Cooper likes this.
  6. Tyler M Cooper

Very Creative. Would've been nice to know we could have just copied and pasted.
    Lonailan likes this.
  7. MrDreadful

MrDreadful Creepy Cupcake

They are pretty disappointing. One or two looked interesting. One is even a complete ripoff of the example joke on the first page.
  8. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Please keep in mind how hard it can be to look through hundreds of ''jokes'' and look them up if they are a ripp-off or not.

I myself aint into game/internet jokes so TBh I haven't seen anyone ever before. So if I would've picked winners I'd probably picked a lot of ''copies'' aswell.

Don't forget that Zap is doing this inhis Free-Time!!! (and he got a job + family aswell).

Ofcourse you guys are entitled to your opinion aswell, but I feel bad for Zap who is just doing the community a favor.
    MrDreadful likes this.
  9. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

And the butthurt commences from the gimmenaow bandwagon. May your space bars jam and your CPU's melt of embarrassment from just being owned by you.

Members for a week, whiners for life.
  10. jlol

jlol New Cupcake

I'm not super upset that I didn't win, but the last joke was a copy of your example joke...
    Aurin Who? Aurin Chua glad to see me? That one is so unoriginal, I don't get why you picked it.

Also, this was my joke...and I used the Ch-you thing as well but didn't copy your Aurin example...
    Granok-nok.
    Who's there?
    Female Chua.
    Female Chua who?
    Female chyou'a should'a been blinded, you've seen the males right?.........MEDIC!! Our hero pressed F as fast as he could, unfortunately the Female chua's stun is permanent.
  11. Lonailan

Lonailan New Cupcake

So i am allowed to reply? ;-)
    I really am not an envy person, im just very disappointed i did lose to people who just copied jokes, who took the cheap way, who cheated.

I think you are wrong when talking about the copies, Zap admitted that he KNEW it was copies. He just said he picked those he thought that would fit to wildstar.

I dont know how much money, if at all, you guys make with this site, but the key giveaway is a great marketing for you sponsored by NCSoft/Carbine Studios.

I really am thankful you did it with a well thought event instead of the next twitch.tv giveaway stream.

But since you did it in public, you need to face publics critizism.

And the critizism i didnt see any reply yet is that you announced a joke crafting contest, not a joke copy-contest. If, like Zap said, so many entries was copies of well-known jokes, why didnt you chose the winners amongst the people who crafted new ones?

I dont want you to say: "Oh, we did wrong, here is a beta key." To be honest, ill play that game soon enough, i had one stress test, i know ill like it and im fine without playing it.

Id like you to say: "You maybe right, next time, when we get a chance like that again, we have learned something of this event and will make it even better."
  12. reznortape

reznortape New Cupcake

I thought mine would make some people laugh...what do you guys think?

This Valentine's Day, a Wildstar developer thought he had prepared the most romantic gesture possible for his fiance. When she returned from work, she found blue arrows leading up the stairs into their bedroom. A bit confused, she followed the arrows and anxiously opened the door. Her jaw dropped instantly when she saw her husband-to-be repeatedly slapping a giant letter on the wall while staring at a poster-sized photo of her. "What in the world are you doing?" She asked, genuinely concerned. The love-struck developer turned to her with a giant grin and said, "I've been hitting F all day but every time I see you I'm stunned!"
  13. gentlestar

gentlestar Admin's Wifey - Do Not Aggro!

Everyone sense of humor is different.. he did read every joke and the ones that made him laugh went in. I think the contest where it's subjective to whoever is judging are hard and someone will always be upset if they don't win. Zap works hard at keeping things interesting, fun and fair but what's funny to one person might not be to someone else.
    Kataryna and Extatica like this.
  14. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Oh i'm not saying you are completely wrong with your critic. But I also want to ask you to take into the fact that Zap did put some time in it (as with every other events that has been orginised).

Here on the school to become a teacher we have a saying:
    Better copy a good lesson to invent a bad lesson yourself.

I personally would've put copies in it aswell. But isn't that also something about personal prefference? If Zap was laughing you had a big chance to win. Now since humor is also something that is so different per person....I don't think people would agree with the winners anytime nomatter how he'd chosen them.
    That Gentlestar....she's fast!
    :D But I kinda agree with her aswell as you can see.

I'm sorry for you that you may have put in more effort in trying to get that key. I wish you good luck next time!
  15. Zap-Robo

Some were copies, some were original, some were duplicates/close variations on a theme, some were not WildStar related at all, and some I outright didn't find funny.

Some winners were original, some took old favourites and gave them a new Nexus twist. All made me laugh.

While I appreciate a criticism, this was (as were all our beta key contests) a subjective judging decision - there are no definitive answers as with the WildQuiz (WildStar Fans) or Eldan Code (WildStar Core) - and as such people are bound to be disappointed since they're submitting what they find funny vs. what I find funny and this is not going to be a perfect match.

We are well aware of the privilege and "marketing" this represents but since this site is not a product, and does not make money it's a moot point (we started donations for the first time in five years, and 100% goes into site costs).

These keys go to fans, because we're a fansite and that's our "product" - new fans of the game.
    Kataryna and Extatica like this.
  16. Tyler M Cooper

Lonailan never stated that he/she believes that the competition was unfair due to personal preferences of whats funny and what isn't. What they claimed (and what I agree with as well) is that the premise of a create your own joke competition should not reward jokes that people "re appropriated" and stole nearly word for word aside from changing one minor detail (character race). The question of funny vs unfunny was never being debated, its the concept of copy/pasting a joke someone else wrote that is the issue here.
  17. Zap-Robo

I understand your concern - but it's one of semantics. They took a joke (as raw material) and "crafted" something WildStar themed.

This is not an issue for me, as they fulfilled the contest requirements - creating a WildStar joke.

The keys are issued, the decision stands but thanks for the feedback.
    Kataryna likes this.
  18. Tyler M Cooper

If that's the case and its only an issue of semantics, then I might need you to write me a letter of recommendation excusing any plagiarism and use of "raw material" on my next term paper.
  19. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

Speaking as someone with a little experience in comedy writing, the old adage "nothing new under the sun" rings true double. Were someone to write a truly original joke, based solely on Wildstar, I'd buy them them the collectors edition and a years sub for a feat of genius.
  20. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switcheroo

Try harder next time.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.