1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

You get a rez! And you get a rez! And...

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Cazargar, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Cazargar

Cazargar Cupcake

I was pleased to see that all classes get an out of combat rez, but I also figured there would be some who were not so pleased. Honestly I can't think of a reason someone would not like this except for losing an ability that was unique to their class/role.

While I'm certainly not advocating making everything easy and convenient I just see no reason not to have this. No one wants to have to run back just because the only person to survive was the tank, and healers get tired of having to always run back just because they're the only ones who can rez. And waiting on 7 or 8 people to rez a 40 man wipe? Ain't nobody got time fo dat!

Anyone have thoughts on this? Is the runback time a necessary timesink or just an antiquated way to punish player failure?
    Crow, Sonntam and Witless like this.
  2. mysticjbyrd

mysticjbyrd Cupcake-About-Town

This was an excellent decision on their part as prior to the change it essentially wasted a slot on your action bar for any class with a res.
    Sonntam and Myrrdhinn like this.
  3. Kritarie

Kritarie Cupcake

If a game didn't punish death, there would be no reason to avoid dying. It serves its purpose more as a deterrent than a time sink.
    Nullius likes this.
  4. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

Its not a big deal, I'm sure there will be some situations where it will still be quicker to run back than wait for some person to rez you.
  5. CaptainYoul

CaptainYoul Cupcake-About-Town

at least they'll have to walk back if their corpse is getting camped
    SammyPo likes this.
  6. John

John "That" Cupcake

I do prefer class uniqueness, I prefer "healers" to be the ones doing the reviving from a lore perspective.

They haven't said much about unique vs homogenized when it comes to classes, but I fear this will be a sign of things to come.
  7. Rizzalliss

Rizzalliss Cupcake

I don't think it's really going to be an issue. It is more of a quality-of-life decision instead of a homogenization of classes. Unless you are grouped with someone, chances are you are going to be hoofing it back to your corpse in most situations anyway.

And as for reviving from a lore perspective - we are living in a time and setting full of magic and hyper-technology. I think even the Warrior reviving someone is perfectly feasible.
    ArdentSun, Vulgork, vicksen and 3 others like this.
  8. eselle8

eselle8 Well-Known Cupcake

If it's an out of combat rez, I don't think it will end up affecting things too dramatically. The ability to effectively heal and perhaps occasionally rez in combat seems like it's more the mark of the trinity.
    Sonntam and Witless like this.
  9. Jojin

Jojin Cupcake-About-Town

Perhaps they might do something to make it easier for healing classes to resurrect. I believe SWTOR allows everyone to resurrect others out of combat, but the non-healing classes have a longer cool down.

Though it could really be anything, from a cast time, reagent cost or something else. I just think those players who choose to be support and heal should be more proficient at the task. Otherwise, it could end up a ressurection zerg fest as those classes with disengage abilities could just keep raising the dead.
    Nullius likes this.
  10. mysticjbyrd

mysticjbyrd Cupcake-About-Town

Such a system is annoying and pointless.
    Just let everyone have it without CD, and be done with it imo.
    Vulgork, RedSam777 and Zwipe like this.
  11. Kritarie

Kritarie Cupcake

I'm sure Carbine is competent enough to head off that very issue if a disengage-style ability exists. Your proposed solution to making healing classes rezzes "better" really just serves to make everyone elses rezzes more annoying to use.
  12. Lookeba

Lookeba Cupcake

This is how Rift is and it's a very handy feature to have.
  13. MrDreadful

MrDreadful Creepy Cupcake

It's a very nice thing to have when you're alone in the wilds and someone randomly wanders by and wants to be nice. There should be an achievement tracker for it with titles.
  14. John

John "That" Cupcake

I just hate that "quality of life" term developers love to use now. The entire purpose of a game is to provide a risk/reward component, meaningful choices, stimulating challenge and ultimately a giant time sink.

Making changes for convenience undermines all of that and just gives players stuff for free. This change really reduces the death penalty, which in turn reduces the importance of staying alive. One might argue its a small change, but its a slippery slope. Unlike real life where we can't just give ourselves whatever we want, in a video game there is no restriction on endless "quality of life" changes. Imo what is killing WoW is that they removed all the complexity and "inconveniences" in the name of 'quality of life changes.' A game needs those inconveniences to make choices matter, and to make the good stuff actually feel good. Everything can't be nice and easy or there is no purpose to playing.
    Gomer, Mierelle, Livnthedream and 4 others like this.
  15. Rizzalliss

Rizzalliss Cupcake

I understand what you are saying here, but I don't think that your buddies being able to rez is a big deal at all. It isn't in combat(unless you are a class that can do so).
    Dying will still have negative connotations. Armor repair costs, for one. Plus, as I said, unless you are playing with friends, you are going to be hoofing it anyway.
    Being able to rez your buds out of combat is certainly not going to make someone dying a positive, or even neutral experience. It is still bad. It still takes time and resources.
    Zwipe and MrDreadful like this.
  16. Kritarie

Kritarie Cupcake

You're pretty much spot on about everything, especially involving convenience and risk/reward. However, I don't agree that giving each class a rez really undermines that balance much, if at all. It's likely that most groups would be running with those limited classes with the ability to rez anyway, so to give it to everyone is to encourage varied group composition.
    Genev and Myrrdhinn like this.
  17. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

yes but John, this all hinges on someone actually being alive, a wipe is a wipe in 5man, 10man, 40...so unless someone survives, then everyone is running back. We dont know about any abilities that would allow someone to survive a wipe and rez everyone, do we?
    Sonntam, eselle8 and Witless like this.
  18. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

I've always thought this was an excuse. I believe most folks hate to die. I know I do. That's the actual punishment. The failure. I'm tired of being punished with time or tedium. You want to punish me for failing? Fine, I'd rather have a death penalty of XP loss than the tedium of a corpse run or waiting on the healer.
    Rumze likes this.
  19. Kritarie

Kritarie Cupcake

I could be wrong, but I'd wager most people would rather auto-run for 30 seconds than lose XP on death. You argue that dying is failure and failure is its own punishment, but don't forget that if there were no time penalty for death, then zerging a difficult dungeon or boss or quest (that is, to constantly die and resurrect, outside the instance in this case) would be the most viable option for a lot of people. If you limit the players ability to re-enter the instance or area after recently dying, then you're imposing an artificial time-sick anyway, so we're back to square one.
  20. Bockses

Bockses New Cupcake

After a bit of thinking about it I actually don't mind everyone getting an out of combat rez so long as a healers rez has some bonus to it, maybe only highly specced healers can get an in-combat rez on a cooldown so healers can still have an important role in resurrecting players and leave the dps/tank rez as a convenience when youre grouped up.

If you're going solo or your party couldn't finish off the enemy you were fighting and gets wiped you'll still have to make that choice on if you want to pay to rez in place or walk back from town for free so I don't think it makes it entirely too convenient but rather it just cuts down on those moments where you have to sit there staring at the grass while your friend runs back from town because you survived the battle while he did not.